My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had been looking for a few weeks at sks rifles.

The local rifles I have found were:

Chinese paratrooper $900

Russian SKS $700

Yugo SKS in aftermarket stock no bayonet $400

Bullpup (yuck) Chinese $800

Sporterized Chinese $800

Vast variety of Yugo’s at cabelas with no bayonets, and they had varying degrees of looking like they had been run over, many the bolt hold open doesn’t work cause they’re so sticky $500-over $600 depending on which one...

Then I found a Norinco with refinished wood stock and sling for $500 (sold in 2 days)

And I found a Chinese SKS in jungle stock, unknown year, decent shape, with blade bayonet and sling $500.

Called all my other shops, no one had one, looked all over the country on armslist, half the people never replied to my emails, and I found a couple norincos for about $400 plus $25-50 shipping, plus I have to pay transfer fees at an FFL between $25-35

So I opted to buy the Chinese SKS in Jungle stock because I could physically look at it, and the shop I bought it from is run by a guy whose dad was a decorated military man, and he has over 20 bring back rifles from his dads tours. He’s a super nice guy. Anyway, seeing as how the local listings were several hundred dollars more, and the other shop had sold a wood stock norinco for $500 after only having it for 2 days, I don’t think I did badly.

I know you’ll all rip me for spending $500 on a SKS, but supply and demand/ none around me for less in original shape, and it’s not 1985
So don’t say I bought one for $99 “a few years ago”.

I’d like to know more about my rifle- story I heard about the jungle stocks, they’re either fiberglass or Bakelite and were put on by the Chinese during or after the Vietnam war because the Chinese buried the rifles in the jungle and when they came back to get them months later bugs or termites had eaten the wood stocks.

I’m not sure if the jungle stock models were used in combat, but here are some pics.

The shop owner was pretty sure this was a pre-94 import.

It was imported by century Arms in VT, and the import marks are on the bottom of the barrel under the cleaning rod.

I disassembled it last night, it’s not 100% matching numbers- the recoil spring dust cover and the bottom of the bolt that houses the firing pin have non-matching numbers, yet the receiver, upper bolt (charging handle) magazine, and a couple other parts all have matching numbers.

Looks like it was made in Chinese factory 26, otherwise I do not know how to tell a year

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Money Pit
331 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this but...………………. I bought one 30 years ago for about $100. My local gun shop had crates full of them. If I remember correctly, buy the gun and get a 100 rounds free. Its a Chinese model with sort of a spike bayonet and holds 20 rounds. I haven't fired more than 200 rounds through it and haven't shot it in about 20 years. I pull it out every few years and scratch the rust off and oil it up. A friend of mine bought one like yours a few years ago ( Russian model ) for about the same price. I guess they're becoming popular and driving up the prices these days. Cool old guns.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
I have a Russian version that was dad's, I have no idea where he got it, but all the numbers on it do match. It was made in 1953 same year as me which maybe why he bought it. From what little I have read about the SKS rifles they are of curse the precursor to the AK and were a bit better in build quality. And since the AK came out shortly after the AK's most of the SKS rifles were used for guard and ceremonial purposes.

I have no idea if this is correct but it is what I found on the net and as we all know then it must be true.

I shoot mine every once in a blue moon and it is reasonably accurate for what it is and has never failed to go "bang".

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm not going to rip you at all because that's the current going rate for a Norinco even without all matching numbers. I bought my 1st Norinco decades ago at a Roses for $129.00 and wish I had bought them out. I paid $300.00 for the 2nd Norinco for the wife from a local dealer a few years ago. Both are all matching numbers and have the spike bayonet, sling, cleaning kit, oil bottle, manual and I installed Murray's firing pins to shoot brass cased ammo. Hers is bone stock but I Tapco bubba'd mine out lol including a Bushnell TRS red dot mounted on a UTG quadrail which iirc is now discontinued; it can be put back to oem stock in just minutes though. They are a cheap ammo hoot to shoot rifle.:thThumbsU
To reply to your statement for date of production that is the $64 question as there are some sites that give a formula based on the serial number but in actuality only the Chinese truly know and they aren't talking.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies - from what I have found online, it may be what they call a Sino-Soviet model, being built at factory 26 in China, however because it was early on in Chinese manufacture, the Soviets were were still checking the rifles to an extent and the serial numbers started with a letter, then only had a 4 digit serial. Later on, the solely Chinese made rifles had 6 digit and up serials.

So this one was made in 1956, at factory /26\

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm
This is where I got a lot of info- not sure how reliable it is, but a lot of guys seem to trust it.

IMG_0240.JPG

Here’s a short video I made of it

·
Money Pit
331 Posts
Well now you got me going. I had to pull out the poor thing and see what the heck I have. With all the info I looked at mine would be dated 1967. NO WAY!!! It seems real hard to really find out what they are. Only the Chinese would know.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
I like SKS but can't justify keeping one anymore. The last one I had was a Yugo. I removed the bayo, grenade launcher and sights and installed a Tech Sight peep sight. It was actually pretty accurate. Sold it a few years ago for $350 iirc. Still had all the original parts. I think I paid $110 back in the early 00s.

Back in the late 70's I traded a Jungle Carbine for a North Korean SKS. Back then any SKS was very rare. The only ammo was from Midway that they were having made. That was my first purchase from them. The SKS was missing the bolt, extractor and some other parts including the firing pin. Sarco and Numrich had everything but the firing pin. I made one from a long allen wrench suitable ground on. Headspaced fine with the Russian bolt I ended up with. It shot good. It had been refinished in a parkerized finish when I got it. No bring back papers.

·
Professional Homeowner
6,923 Posts
I got mine back in early 2013 for $400 with like six 20 rd. I think mags, about 200 rounds of ammo, and an aftermarket synthetic stock. It was when things hadn't yet calmed down after Sandy Hook, so it was well below market value at the time, maybe even below market value today. Numbers matching Chinese Norinco with Tapco stock. Serial 28001000.

Lately Ive been accumulating cheap AR15s. Black Friday sales, pre black friday sales, etc... Couple at a time. I REALLY need to kick this $1000 a month habit... I tell my wife I'm picking up "man cave" decorations for the new house LOL! I think they'll look awesome all up on pegboard like in the movies, in the black market shops and secret rooms that the spies have. Ovbiously black looks best, but chrome is a close 2nd.

I figure they'll never lose value. I think e only ones that did lose value are the 3 or four pistols I bought new. They might be back up in 30-40 years, though... Nothing special just a couple Glocks, Ruger LCP, Walther P22... I wish I still had my SOCOM II and Desert Eagle .50 cal. They'd look awesome on display. New room will be poured concrete walls and ceiling, and very heavy commercial grade multi deadbolt steel door, but not quite a vault door.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some more digging with the help of an SKS forum, mine is actually a 1959-1960 “letter gun” which simply means it has a letter in the serial number. China was experimenting with different serial number schemes, and the letter may be a month date for 1959, but I’m not sure.

Here’s a video of me shooting it, I think it’s my new favorite semi.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/195960-letter-guns.html

Here is the page that seems to narrow down what it is. It’s not a Sino-Soviet because it would have had a Tula Star on the side of the receiver if it was.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well now you got me going. I had to pull out the poor thing and see what the heck I have. With all the info I looked at mine would be dated 1967. NO WAY!!! It seems real hard to really find out what they are. Only the Chinese would know.

Those mags look weird... kinda glad mines only a 10 rd, but I guess more ammo would me more fun. And more useful should the need arise.

Im waiting on a cleaning kit and some stripper clips-

I may look for a more original stock as well, I like the extra weight of wood, and I think I could break even or make a little selling my fiberglass stock

·
Professional Homeowner
6,923 Posts
Those mags look weird... kinda glad mines only a 10 rd, but I guess more ammo would me more fun. And more useful should the need arise.

Im waiting on a cleaning kit and some stripper clips-

I may look for a more original stock as well, I like the extra weight of wood, and I think I could break even or make a little selling my fiberglass stock

The mags I have look like mags from an AK47, with slightly different top portion and they don't interchange. There's a pretty long (3/4" maybe) out sticker on the front of the top that engages the receiver.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
I kinda think of the SKS as the Russian Garand but it's really more like a heavy M1 Carbine with a much better cartridge.

Interesting fact - The 7.62x39 cartridge case is the parent to the most effective Benchrest cartridge ever made ,,,, the 6mmPPC. The Russians created the 220 Russian out of the x39 case for use in various target competitions. Two Americans named Pindel and Palisalmo [ sp on both ] took the 220 case, expanded the neck to 6mm and had a reamer made that created a nearly straight bodied chamber with a sharper neck angle. Fire the necked up 220 case in the PPC chamber and the case blows out to match the chamber. Then load up a lightweight 6mm bullet and enough powder to drive it about 3400+ fps and you have a cartridge that will shoot bug holes at 100 to 300 yards.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rayjay those modified rounds sound nuts!!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a wood stock online for a really good price, and bought it. It was from a spike style bayonet gun, where mine is a blade style bayonet, but I was told it would fit. I used steel wool to clean all the finish off, and used tung oil to refinish it, and when I went to assemble it, the stock does not fit. The crossbolt is not in the right location, it's close, but about 3/32 too far back, and too far up in the stock. So needless to say, now I have a really cool weather beaten looking refinished SKS stock for a spike style bayonet for sale...

I really want a wood stock, but for now I will keep the fiberglass one on.

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found a wood stock online for a really good price, and bought it. It was from a spike style bayonet gun, where mine is a blade style bayonet, but I was told it would fit. I used steel wool to clean all the finish off, and used tung oil to refinish it, and when I went to assemble it, the stock does not fit. The crossbolt is not in the right location, it's close, but about 3/32 too far back, and too far up in the stock. So needless to say, now I have a really cool weather beaten looking refinished SKS stock for a spike style bayonet for sale...

I really want a wood stock, but for now I will keep the fiberglass one on.
I just realized I never updated this... I ended up selling this wood stock for what I paid, and found the correct style one for my SKS, except it was a russian one so it has a different shape. It is a re-arsenaled one most likely and has one serial number crossed out and a new one stamped in, but it fit my gun properly, and I like the look of it. it has a lot of proof markings on it as well, which I think adds character.

Now, to me, it looks like a "proper" SKS.

I was able to sell the jungle stock for $85 so I ended up putting some of my purchase price back in my pocket (or rather spent it on red army ammo that was on sale for $4.25 a box at cabelas)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I only have one SKS left and wouldnt trade it for a farm in Georgia and it has that same jungle stock on it I paid like $10 for and the shop had the 20 rd. stock-looking w/Chinese star pressed into it magazine for $10 as well and like a fool I didnt get it ( I dont think I had $10 left in my pocket) but every time a drag it out I say " man I wish I had that 20 rd. mag. in this thing" lol.
But anyway I remember when we were buying them for $100 or less and a case of WOLF ( wich they were made to shoot) for $25 and people would laugh and say "man I cant believe your'e buying that junk!" and now the same "pro's" are offering $350 for good ones and I saw one in a shop awhile back for $250 that wouldn't have sold for $30 way back when.
We bought most of ours at a local flea-mkt from a guy who had no liscense to sell guns & ammo and he was warned to 'stop' but didnt and wound-up doin 37 months in jail for it.
Anyhow I remember when my son who is 35 now was like 8 or 10 and he would be packin 2 cases of WOLF dragging the ground thru the flea mkt and I would have an arm load of SKS's, man those were the days lol.
But the one thing I have learned about them is they are best when LEFT ALONE.
And if anyone wants to see how accurate they really are watch a video I ran into one night about Jerry Michleck (sp?) of revolver fame shooting his stock NORINCO SKS, its amazing!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Jerry Miculek, good utube video.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts