My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The carburetor on my LB 10324 (2001 model) was acting all funky, so I pulled it off tonight, cleaned it all out, and put it all back together. It started on the first pull, ran great for about 30 minutes, then just died. It seemed like the RPM's were higher than normal while it was running, and when it died, it was very hot. I let it cool off and tried to restart it, but now there is no ignition at all. I replaced the spark plug with a brand new one, and I even removed the plug and had my buddy pull the rope while I held it to the engine block and there is no spark.

Do you think the ignition coil is bad? Is this related to the problem with the engine running too high/too hot?

Yes, I did remember to add the oil to the gas! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as the ignition coil is about $55 and I would like to feel better about buying it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like bad coil. As far as the rpm you can vary that by the clicks for the spring for the vane. Clockwise raises rpm and if you back it off lowers rpm.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,265 Posts
Sounds like the engine was running lean... That would make it HOT... Heat will destroy your coil...

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I've personally used the coils from seller rocketcaptain and they are great. Excellent pricing on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas everybody, and thanks for the link echoman. That is the animal. ES bob - echoman linked me to rocketcaptain as well.

I will order it and keep you all apprised of the outcome!

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
I keep a couple of spares for the DF, the M series uses the same coil. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK gents, I replaced the coil (got it on e-bay for $25), and now I have nice spark, but still no ignition. The carb is getting gas, I took the carb apart again and blew it all out with carb-cleaner and everything works and is open and clean. I adjusted the sail on the governor counter-clockwise to slow the RMP down as suggested. Everything seems to be in order, but there is absolutely no ignition going on in the cylinder. None!

The engine compression seems fine (still good resistence when you pull the rope), but do you think I might have burned up some valves or something when it was running too high/hot and it died last week? I have put a LOT of hours on this mower - I cut 1 acre, once a week, 6 monthes a year for the last 9 years. I am beginning to think it has just died of old age, but I hate to throw Mean Green out to the curb before trying everything. Any more ideas?

On a side note, I can buy a much more lightly used 10324 for $100. I may just pick that one up. I think I paid $350 for mine in 2000.

Thanks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you have spark, but no fire, then you're missing fuel and/or compression. Try squirting some fuel in through the spark plug hole - about a teaspoon or two. Then see if it doesn't fire off. If so, then your carb needs to be examined/cleaned again.

It's not uncommon to pull a carb off for a second cleaning...at least not for me!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried that Hawk, but it did not work. While I was out there last, I flipped it on it's side and looked underneath, and there is fuel/oil leaking down the drive shaft. If the drive shaft seal goes bad, could it cause enough compression loss to prevent the cylinder from igniting? I'm not too savvy on the innerds of this engine. If that's what it takes, has any of you guys ever replaced that seal? What is involved in that job.

Again, thanks all for the ideas.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Even with a bad lower seal it should fire. It will not run good but should still stumble and give signs it wants to run. Is the plug wet when your trying to start? I'd have to agree that it's not getting gas. I had the same issue with my 5232.

MU

·
Banned
864 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I suggest using the recommended NGK BPMR4A plug. I use NGK's in everything engine I own. For the older Lawn-Boy's the plug is BM4A (vs. Champion CJ14).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still have the old NGK, and apparently, that was never the problem. The new one in it now is a Champion CJ14. I will put the old one back in and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, put the old NKG back in and still no fire. Again, I poured some gas directly into the spark plug hole, and no luck. Tomorrow I am buying the other 10324, so someday when I get a little time, I will take the old bird apart and have a look inside. I am really thinking the compression is shot now, so I will have a look at the reed valves and the piston rings.

All in all, I am pleased with the service I got out of my 10324. It lasted me almost 9 years without any trouble ever, and that's cutting a LOT of grass! Thanks to all who tried to help me out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts