My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tractor that won't move (also won't run, and has been parked since developing a fuel problem about a year ago).

When I pull the freewheel lever, the rear hubs stay locked.

This tranny happens to be installed on a 2003 Husqvarna GTH2548 tractor.

I need to get it indoors so I can fix the fuel line and install the snowblower.

Ideas?

Mike

·
15,000 +posts!
19,607 Posts
It may be the disc brake rotor has rusted after sitting,it doesn't take much rust for one to lock up the rear wheels..
I had to spray WD-40 on my Yard-Man tractors brake disc to get it to roll after it sat a few years in my shed (after fighting for an hour to inflate its 4 flat tires!)--after I got it to budge and dragged it with another tractor a few feet,it freed up..it has a Hydro-Gear transaxle..
Last time I used that tractor I noticed the brakes didn't work that well--I looked under it to see if the brake pads were worn out or out of adjustment--and the disc rotor wasn't there!..all I saw was a splined shaft it went on..I guess its somewhere in my yard,never to be seen again..I just use reverse to stop it now..

If your tractor still wont roll after checking the brake,it could be the valve the free wheeling lever operates might be stuck,maybe the linkage isn't pulling it out far enough--I never had to mess with that valve so I'm not much help there..

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Robert, those are two areas I was planning to check first.

I really didn't find much by Googling, which surprised me.

Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
It may be the disc brake rotor has rusted after sitting,it doesn't take much rust for one to lock up the rear wheels..
I had to spray WD-40 on my Yard-Man tractors brake disc to get it to roll after it sat a few years in my shed (after fighting for an hour to inflate its 4 flat tires!)--after I got it to budge and dragged it with another tractor a few feet,it freed up..it has a Hydro-Gear transaxle..
Last time I used that tractor I noticed the brakes didn't work that well--I looked under it to see if the brake pads were worn out or out of adjustment--and the disc rotor wasn't there!..all I saw was a splined shaft it went on..I guess its somewhere in my yard,never to be seen again..I just use reverse to stop it now..

If your tractor still wont roll after checking the brake,it could be the valve the free wheeling lever operates might be stuck,maybe the linkage isn't pulling it out far enough--I never had to mess with that valve so I'm not much help there..
I agree I had this happen on mine and was a stuck valve

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was that an easy fix (no disassembly required)?

Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine was on a tuff torq k61 it wasn't a full disassembly I did have to open the case and one valve was stuck I pulled it out gave it a shot of wd40 and reassembled everything and it was good to go

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks. This is probably going to be a longer-term project.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts