My Tractor Forum banner

Help!!!! Husqvarna chainsaw issue

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  trucknut85 
#1 ·
Help!!!!

I have a Husqvarna 365 Special chainsaw that I have been using all summer to cut trees with. Its been a great saw, not one problem ever. Was running it this afternoon to clear a path in the woods, noticed the chain was a little loose so i shut it down to tighten the chain, got chain tightened and topped it off with gas and bar oil, but it wouldnt refire. Tried choking it, not choking it and it wont start. I took the filter off and cleand it, and pulled the plug to check for fouling (plug was clean). I put the plug next to the block and turned it over and only got a little spark, is it possible for the magneto to just quit working. Or should i be looking at something else? The fuel mixture i was using was at the bottom of the container (1yr old plastic container), so there shouldnt be any garbage laying in the bottom to clog fuel lines. I'll try firing it in the morning, maybe it just wanted the weekend off . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Looked up "baking the coil", I saw several different temperatures. I'll try 350deg for twenty minutes and see what happens. From what I found online it should have a lot more spark than I'm getting right now. Everything looks clean, no rust on magnets. Gap is about 1 business card. I'll bake the coil tomorrow and report back.

#6 ·
Well baking the coil didnt help. I baked it at 350 deg for twenty minutes, and then let it cool for probably a half hour. Now i cannot get any spark at all, tried with and without kill wire connected. Any ideas??? I priced out a new coil online, they want $60 to $80 for a new one. How does a coil just stop working, or is it the plug wire attached to it that wears out?

#8 ·
$60-80.00 is still way cheaper than a new saw. Do make sure though that the ignition kill switch isn't getting grounded out somehow. Before I condemn an ignition, I always test for spark in a very dark place. What looks like a tiny spark in normal light may actually be quite strong.

#9 ·
I have a Husqvarna weed trimmer & chainsaw. They (used to anyways) have a 5 year warranty on the ignition system (the magneto). At 4 years old, my trimmer just shut off one day in the middle of trimming!! Acted just like I had flipped the kill switch off! Took a couple weeks to get a replacement, but I've been running it ever since with no more problems! (bought it in 1997)

If your saw is less than 5 years old talk to a dealer... The manufacture year is stamped onto the ID plate somewhere on the unit.

#10 ·
At this point I'm fairly certain its the coil/magneto. I'll play around with the kill switch tonight, but all the wires I can see are intact and look good. Its a second hand saw, and I don't have any original paperwork for it, just the saw, I don't know how strict the warranty policy is, but I'll look into it. Yes $60 isn't a lot of money, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend any money to fix my saw.

#11 ·
Update. New coil showed up friday afternoon. Went to put it on the saw and noticed it dosent come with the sparkplug boot. So after a quick trip to the local mower shop I got the coil back on. Now i've got all kinds of spark. Buttoned it all back up, and she fired up on the first pull. Time to cut some wood!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.