My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for looking,

Here's my problem;

While going forward, my mower will move 2-3 feet and then stop a moment and then continue a couple feet and repeat the forward/stop routine [this also occurs in lo range, but not as noticeable]. I have tried adjusting F/R arm, but it has no effect regardless how "tight" I go against the stops.
I'm thinking a cracked clutch ring maybe, but thought i'd ask around before tearing into it.

Thanks

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
While going forward, my mower will move 2-3 feet

Mower? Did you say mower? A Gravely is not a mower! :tsk: It's a tractor! :smilie_fl Seriously now, If you have adjusted the clutch rod nuts and the problem didn't get better, it's time to take a peak at the clutches. Also look at the hubs to make sure they are turning. -Kris :thThumbsU

·
Registered
190 Posts
What you are describbing is the high / low range not staying engaged. With the unit is moving look down at the axle where the engaging pin is and see if it is jumping in and out. If it is try adjusting it up so there is very little compresson left in the spring. If this don't work than it is big money time to fix it.
Good luck
G

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....I'm surprised that I didn't call a"tiller", since I currently have the tiller head on it [my bad]:fing20:

Thank you both for the quick answers, I'll check that engaging pin real close before I open it up.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update-Re: Help:Gravely 5660 drive problem

If I remember right, when I'd pull up to a solid object[tree]...and engage the forward lever is should spin the tires or stall out..correct?

I decided to put the mower head back on and play around with the adjustments a little more...that's when I noticed locking it in forward against a tree didn't stall it or spin any of the wheels.

question 2".....I have a older 5260 for parts, are they the same transmission[5660]?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...........looks like it's time to take a peak inside. if I run into a snag, I'll be back!!

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts