My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for everybodies' favorite game, "Help George spend his money".

His 8 year old LT1000 is having issues. First is was the cracked gearcase, which I helped him fix with one I just about threw out. Then came the carb issues, and the possibly worn cam. He's tired of fooling with it.

His budget is $2,000. He has 1.25 acres with a gentle slope. One problem spot with about a 4 foot drop over 10 feet. He has a few trees and several shrubs nicely spaced. He wants a hydrostatic drive and preferably a GT. Currently has a 42" deck but woudl like a 48" or even 54". He has a small dump cart and that's about it.

He has a Kubota dealer buddy who will sell him a brand new (previous years model) Kubota T1670 with a 40" deck for about $2300.

As far as Husqvarnas:
The LGT2554 doesn't claim to be a garden tractor, though it does appear to have 5 lug rear wheels.

The 2348 LS has the Endurance Briggs versus the YTH2348 having an Intek.

And their Sears brethern:
The GT5000 hydro is a bit out of his budget, but with midnight madness, friends and family, etc. he might be able to swiing it.

In Sears LTs we have the PYT9000, and YT4500, and the MTS5000.

I'm having trouble getting in to the Cub Cadet site tonight, but he might be a really good candidate for an I-1050 (not sure what they cost). Also they have that 1554 (I think) which is a GT.

About the only new JD in his range is the LA155.

And of course I need to assure my Deere brethren that two of us have done everything possible (including lending him a 240, and offering to lend a 318) to get him into a classic GT. He's just not biting.

George has a very nicely landscaped yard and he enjoys gardening, but does not want to be a tractor junkie.

What would any of you recommend? He'll likely make a purchase in the next two weeks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
He'll most likely get the biggest bang for his buck with the Craftsman GT5K and it meets all his requirements as well. The Craftsman tractors are designed for people just like your neighbor. They need a powerful, light duty GT that gives a good cut, easily pulls a yard cart, etc..., and don't want to marry the tractor.

:goodl: and let us know what he ends up with, D-Dogg

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I really like your response woodsy. Straight and to the point.

I was going to suggest that instead of a bunch of us just listing our favorite tractor, we first begin by deciding on a HP range and deck size first, and then we start debating the merits of the different colors in that size range. You never know, it strike up some even better debate.

Loved the title of the thread D-Dogg. Funny and extremely accurate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
His budget is $2,000. He wants a hydrostatic drive and preferably a GT. Currently has a 42" deck but woudl like a 48" or even 54". He has a small dump cart and that's about it.Thanks!
Can't do it, there aren't any new $2000 true garden tractors available. The Husqvarna at Lowes has a mount for a sleeve hitch but has a non-ground engaging transmission. The next step up, which is a true garden tractor, the Husqvarna 2748GLS is $3200.

The Cub Cadets at Home Depot are all simply lawn mowers as well.

To get a true, rugged GT the Sears GT5k is a bargain. Have your buddy ask the local Sears if they have any scratch and dent ones in stock. Also, if he has a Sears Outlet local, he can probably get near his $2k price target.

That being said, you really don't need a GT for a dump cart, I suffered for years with bottom of the line Craftsman hydrostatic tractor pulling trailers full of soil up and down hills no problem.

Chris

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Best of luck in this, I personally don't like the intek engines, bad experience with them in my JD early on, I believe they are the bottom of the barrell B&S engines. If I had that opportunity, I'd personally take the Kubota or the GT5000 :).

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I sort of figured the lean would be toward the GT5000 if he could swing the extra.

I should have included the DGS6500, as I am finding plenty of them in outlets at steep discounts. I've read some good and bad on here, but think if he could get one for under the $2K, and maybe a discount on the extended warranty, they are a possibility.

Any DGS6500 opinions?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks guys. I sort of figured the lean would be toward the GT5000 if he could swing the extra.

I should have included the DGS6500, as I am finding plenty of them in outlets at steep discounts. I've read some good and bad on here, but think if he could get one for under the $2K, and maybe a discount on the extended warranty, they are a possibility.

Any DGS6500 opinions?
I _think_ the DGS6500 is even _better_ than the GT5000. Hydrogear 3000 vs K66 transmission. When I looked at them, they looked equal. Maybe someone in the Craftsman forum knows the nuances.

Nice thing about the current GT5k it can cut at almost 8mph with its Hydrogear 730.

Chris

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I think the '07/'08 DGS's were the ones that had the "L" shaped frame that resulted in some failures. I think I remember reading some posts that most failures were as a result of using a johnny bucket a bit too aggressively.

Your neighbor should not be affected by this as his plans are for light duty usage.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chris and Woodsy. The thing that concerned me most about the DGS6500 are that there do seem to be an abundance of them in the Sears outlets at right around the $2k mark. I'm hoping they were just unpopular versus unreliable.

Interestingly, there is a particular abundance of DGSs in the MA Sears outlets.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D-Dog I'm disappointed in you, I thought your first suggestion would have been a 318... HUHHHHHHH lol
Go back and read the original post, DACMan.
"And of course I need to assure my Deere brethren that two of us have done everything possible (including lending him a 240, and offering to lend a 318) to get him into a classic GT. He's just not biting."

Bill, Irv, and I all tried to have a "come to Jesus" talk with him, it just wasn't happening. He did get interested in an LA155, because of our JD GTs, but we assured him there is no commonality other than color.

I have lines on two 318s, a 420, and a 314 just in case he has an epiphany this week.:thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Go back and read the original post, DACMan.
"And of course I need to assure my Deere brethren that two of us have done everything possible (including lending him a 240, and offering to lend a 318) to get him into a classic GT. He's just not biting."

Bill, Irv, and I all tried to have a "come to Jesus" talk with him, it just wasn't happening. He did get interested in an LA155, because of our JD GTs, but we assured him there is no commonality other than color.

I have lines on two 318s, a 420, and a 314 just in case he has an epiphany this week.:thThumbsU
Hope George gets the big E this week. slkpk

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I'm having trouble getting in to the Cub Cadet site tonight, but he might be a really good candidate for an I-1050 (not sure what they cost).
A new i1050 is around $3500 most places. You might find a used one around $2k if you're lucky (got mine used for $1600 w 60 hrs on it).

A 4' drop over 10' is 22 degrees. The i1050 manual states 15 degree slopes max, but I bet you could push 20, so long as one avoids mowing up (mow down or across). Or maybe just push mow that section.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
George went and did it.

Went to Lowes last night, and bought an LA145, with a free dump cart.

He liked the idea of the DGS6500, but said that if he had a GT, he'd wind up buying all kinds of attachments and get addicted like his neighbors. You have to admire that.

Anyway, he really loves the cut and with good maintenance it should get him at least the 8 years the LT1000 did.

Oh, and on the LT1000, after replacing the tranny, rebuilding the carb, he decided to give it to his son, and the front axle broke. He came over today and asked if I had hauled the remains of my LT1000 to the dump yet. That little parts tractor has been a donor for several projects, so I let him haul it off for the axle.

Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
8 Years, why so short of a time. I have a LT133 that mowed 3.4 acres for 9 years now i have it and it has mowed .5 of a acre for the past three years. During those first nine years i know for a fact it had a oil change only once a year. I got it with a bent lift arm and a dead battery. They claimed it wouldn't start and wanted it gone. I hauled their new one to them and they gave me the LT133. well i tossed in a new battery and locked the deck in the up position ( i like my grass at 3 inches). Its been great.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
I'm surprised by only 8 years as well. My neighbor has one that up until 2 years ago mowed 3 acre's a week and part of it was garbage (crap under pine trees). The only thing wrong with it now is a bad plastic pulley for the drive belt. I've had to put the belt back on a couple of times. He pulls a yard vac trailer with it from the end of September until the middle of December. (oak trees).

T.C.

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
I'm having trouble getting in to the Cub Cadet site tonight, but he might be a really good candidate for an I-1050 (not sure what they cost). Also they have that 1554 (I think) which is a GT.
Funny thing about that...the 1554 isn't really a GT, even though it says GT 1554. A buddy of mine worked at Home Depot Lawn and Garden section for a while and was always talking about this and would always argue with me over it. If the 1554 was actually a GT, then why on Cub Cadet website, there is a selection for 1000 series lawn tractors, 1500 series lawn tractors, 2000 series garden tractors, and 2500 series garden tractors? Home Depot tells you it is a GT, but Cub Cadet still calls it LT. Then my buddy says, but you can get all the GT implements so it HAS to be a GT. My answer...I can hook a tiller onto my truck, but that doesn't make it a friggin GT. Bottom line, I am going to believe what the manufacturer says before Home Depot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts