My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New B-10 Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be time for professional help for my tractor... and me.

1964 B-10. Has the Briggs 23D 9hp.
This has been in my grandpa's barn for 20 year and I am trying to restore it. I have taken it front half and motor all the way apart and just got it back together. I appear to have fixed nothing.
I have replaced all electric parts, including adding a 12v coil. Still no spark. I think I need to have someone qualified look at it.

What I can't understand is why gas is dripping out of the bottom of the carb as soon as I connect gas. I rebuilt the carb and it appears into good working order

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The FloJet carbs can be a bit tricky. It could be that you have the float set too high or gas is leaking around the emulsion tube. I always cut off the inline gas valve when I shut mine down. I don't trust any of the carbs to hold tight. At least the gas comes out he bottom of the carb and can't flood your crank case like the Kohler can.
Honestly reworking the up draft FloJets is not my strong point.
Are the points and condenser in good shape? Do the points open when you crank over the engine by hand? Are the points set right?

·
New B-10 Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The points and condenser are new.
The points really don't seem to move much when I turn the engine? What would cause that?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The points really don't seem to move much when I turn the engine? What would cause that?
Do you understand how to correctly adjust points? Just replacing them won't help you. I'm not trying to insult your inteligence, I'm just trying to cover all the bases. I believe the points should be adjusted to 0.020" (don't quote me on that I don't have my manual in front of me) at the farthest open point.

Thanks, Nate

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Points don't have to move much but must be set to .020" as Nate states above. When the points open is when the spark plug fires.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Is the kill switch working? Maybe grounding out?
Kill switch?! Oh no you don't use the kill switch anymore with the 12v coil. You kill the engine by cutting power to the primary winding on the coil. The grounding switch should be replaced with a keyed ignition switch for battery ignition, with or without starter circuit. If the new switch has a starter circuit you don't use it and instead continue to use the starter button. I would not use a toggle switch (as many do) because it is too easy to accidentally flip the ignition on without knowing and leave it on to burn up your coil and/or points.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Kill switch?! Oh no you don't use the kill switch anymore with the 12v coil. You kill the engine by cutting power to the primary winding on the coil. The grounding switch should be replaced with a keyed ignition switch for battery ignition, with or without starter circuit. If the new switch has a starter circuit you don't use it and instead continue to use the starter button. I would not use a toggle switch (as many do) because it is too easy to accidentally flip the ignition on without knowing and leave it on to burn up your coil and/or points.
Yes should have said ignition switch, it's a 1 wire switch. That's why I said kill.

·
New B-10 Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No insult to my intelligence taken... I have never done any of this so I don't feel dumb... I am just inexperienced, but I am learning.
I used the gap tool and it was close to .20, but I really couldn't figure out how to adjust them? They didn't seem to move much when I hand turned the motor? I suspect my problem might be there but I don't know enough to trouble shoot it further. It did backfire once after about 15 minutes of trial, but I haven't been able to replicate that.

I did use a toggle switch. All the wiring and switch and points and condenser and coil and plug and wire are new. All should be wired the way I was instructed.

Talntedmrgreen.. I am in GR. I think you had mentioned previously you were close, and I appreciate your offer. I made plans today to take it to Scott at Wayland Outdoor Power tomorrow. I have been getting all my supplies and some advice from him and I am hopeful he can take a look and ID my problem. He seems to know what he is talking about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts