My Tractor Forum banner
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,452 Posts
Thank you! I feel that I have a little more insight, and comprehension to my plat and land now. You worded things plainly enough that even somebody who has a hard time wrapping their (my) head around this stuff, can follow along and understand pretty well. Honestly, a lot of the stuff the guys were saying above kind went over my head. I appreciate ALL of the information from everybody though!

So, the marker in the SW corner that is visible, can I assume that it would have been placed in-line with the actual marker that's buried in the road and the marker in the SE corner? That way, I could just use that marker as my reference point for a straight line from East to West, along my South border. I don't know if that would be a reliable point of reference though.
If doing that you may want to check and see what the clearance requirements for fencing are. Even the placement of fencing materials can become an issue. Build it for yourself and not someone else later down the road. I have seen it happen before as strange as it maybe that people had no say, jurisdiction to what happens to the fence even on their property if built wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
If doing that you may want to check and see what the clearance requirements for fencing are. Even the placement of fencing materials can become an issue. Build it for yourself and not someone else later down the road. I have seen it happen before as strange as it maybe that people had no say, jurisdiction to what happens to the fence even on their property if built wrong.
Thanks. I'm not building ANY fences though. At least not planning on it at this point. My main reason for doing all of this is just so that I can cut trails through the woods on my own property, with one just inside the boundaries of my perimeter. Doing this, we'll be able to ride our side by side around all of our property, and not just what's been clear-cut already. This will also allow me to get my tractor around the property, and skid logs out for easier cutting and bucking in an open area for later use in our outdoor wood boiler.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,425 Posts
Jeff, have you considered hiring a surveyor to set corner and boundary marks? In my area, they are not very expensive to hire (but building lots are tiny by comparison here.) And if I bought a big tract like yours, I would want my own survey for my records anyway. Just a thought…

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Jeff, have you considered hiring a surveyor to set corner and boundary marks? In my area, they are not very expensive to hire (but building lots are tiny by comparison here.) And if I bought a big tract like yours, I would want my own survey for my records anyway. Just a thought…
I hadn't considered it. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, I just didn't think we'd have an actual need for it until the idea of making a trail around the perimeter of the property came to mind. I don't know how much "not very expensive" is though LOL. Once I go locate the iron in the SE corner though, I won't be real worried about having an actual survey done. I'll be able to use the other three known points to keep me on my own property.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hmmm have never seen this aluminum capped roadway marker. Could be on count of 30 years of dealing with state highway in six different states.
Here is an example of the kind of GLO survey marker that should be in the middle of the road near the yellow sign in your photo. It is likely not visible and set below the surface of the road. It is not a roadway marker, but is a section corner marker from the original Section/Township/Range survey of Michigan. From your plat, it appears the surveyor found this marker in 2014 when he did your property survey. You could probably find it with a metal detector. I don't think there is any way to be sure the yellow sign is on your property line.
The second pic is the kind of cap I would expect to see on the rebar markers the surveyor set (the SE and NE corners of your property.)

Grey Coin Currency Money Nickel
Font Circle Metal Fashion accessory Rectangle

·
Registered
865 Posts
I re-posted your plat as one box. Not sure if you did the split or that's what you had.
Here are a few more observations.
-There are actually two surveys on the plat - first, the SW1/4SW Section 19, and second, your property and the right of ways.
  • your south line is the same as the south line of Section 19, and the SW1/4SW1/4 of Section 19.
  • Your east line is the same as the east line of SW1/4SW1/4.
  • your west line is the road right of way line.
  • your north line is the south edge of the road right of way of Old Beechwood Road.
  • The SW1/4SW1/4 Section 19 is 40.44 acres.
  • They subtracted 1.19 acres for Beechwood road, and 0.97 acres for the west side road, so your property is
36.28 acres.
  • In 2014, the surveyor put a nail in the middle of Beechwood road at the S 1/16 corner of Section 19. That is the NW corner of the SW1/4SW1/4 Section 19. This "nail" might be a little plastic disk with the nail in the middle, or it may have been a nail pounded through some folded up plastic flagging ribbon. It is possibly still there, but a long shot after 7 years.
  • I attached a little pic of a survey section labeled with the correct surveyor jargon. Your property would be in the far Southwest corner of the pic.

Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Drawing
Rectangle Font Line Material property Parallel

·
Registered
865 Posts
Here is a drawing of the type of compass quadrant bearings used in the plat. For simplicity, it shows degree bearings - the surveyor ran lines in degrees-minutes-seconds. So for example the South line at the bottom of the plat shows S 88 41' 32" E, that's 1deg 18' 28" south of due East, or 91 deg 18' 28" Azimuth.

To be official, everything would be tied into that SW section corner - the aluminum capped marker. So, the surveyor found that corner, then ran the south line at S 88 41' 32"E to the SE corner, then turned and ran the east line, etc., He monumented the corners for the SW1/4SW1/4 Section 19 with a nail in the Old Beechwood Road and two rebar posts. From that information, he identified the road R/W boundaries and consequently your property lines.

Rectangle Triangle Slope Font Parallel

I found a couple of references on line to this type of notation and zillions of references to azimuth directions (0-360 degrees). Azimuths are the common notation used in map and compass training today, and are much less confusing. The surveyor used it because the original survey used it, and possibly some technical accuracy reasons I don't know about.
This discussion brings back memories of locating forest section corners for the State in the 1970's using a staff compass like this one. Used correctly they are quite accurate, including magnetic declination settings, a level bubble and aiming sights. I think it could be read in at least 1/4 degrees.

Fluid Scale Gas Machine Measuring instrument

• Love
Reactions: Just Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,452 Posts
Here is a drawing of the type of compass quadrant bearings used in the plat. For simplicity, it shows degree bearings - the surveyor ran lines in degrees-minutes-seconds. So for example the South line at the bottom of the plat shows S 88 41' 32" E, that's 1deg 18' 28" south of due East, or 91 deg 18' 28" Azimuth.

To be official, everything would be tied into that SW section corner - the aluminum capped marker. So, the surveyor found that corner, then ran the south line at S 88 41' 32"E to the SE corner, then turned and ran the east line, etc., He monumented the corners for the SW1/4SW1/4 Section 19 with a nail in the Old Beechwood Road and two rebar posts. From that information, he identified the road R/W boundaries and consequently your property lines.

View attachment 2555884

I found a couple of references on line to this type of notation and zillions of references to azimuth directions (0-360 degrees). Azimuths are the common notation used in map and compass training today, and are much less confusing. The surveyor used it because the original survey used it, and possibly some technical accuracy reasons I don't know about.
This discussion brings back memories of locating forest section corners for the State in the 1970's using a staff compass like this one. Used correctly they are quite accurate, including magnetic declination settings, a level bubble and aiming sights. I think it could be read in at least 1/4 degrees.

View attachment 2555887
Good ones were within 1 second of a degree. But if you're going sailing don't forget your sextant. Got to stay on course.
But in engineering reality we changed the degrees, minutes and seconds to decimals of degrees. Then radian segments
I don't miss smolies table's one bit.
Well got off on a subject most wouldn't understand. Sorry about that.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts