My Tractor Forum banner
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Where are you finding the three markers at the roadways. In the center line of the road
or at 33' of right of way?
At the right of way I have approximately 1300.85' at Beechwood, 2598.89' at 1/4 of 1/4, 1307.08' parallel to Beechwood and 2600.96 parallel to 1/4 of 1/4
The one at the NE corner of the property I don't think is from the survey company. Actually, I'm sure it's not. It's just a fence that the previous owner built that stops there, and then about 20' East of the fence is a light wood post with a pink flag and some pink or orange paint on it. The marker itself is about 20' South of the road, in the woods. The one at the NW corner, I have not seen a marker. I just know that the road intersections are my border, not sure where the marker is/should be at. The one at the SW corner of the property is a post with a surveryor's tag on it, and it is placed about 10' West of the road itself. I'll get pictures of the two that I know of for sure at some point this evening, so that you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I've never seen a surveyor not use North/West Lat/Long before. Always taught to read right/up in all my map reading courses. Here is where I found 88°44'02" to be located on Google Earth. But it's much further than the 746.98 feet shown on the plat from the intersection of those roads.

View attachment 2555133
I'm trying to think............I wonder if I place something at the NE corner, where the property marker is, if I'd be able to fly high enough with the drone (we're legally limited to a 400' altitude) to be able to see IT, as well as the NW and SW corners of the property? I'll have to think about that, and maybe go try to take a picture after supper from the air. Maybe spray painting a large "X" on the road where the NE corner is?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,886 Posts
I've never seen a surveyor not use North/West Lat/Long before. Always taught to read right/up in all my map reading courses. Here is where I found 88°44'02" to be located on Google Earth. But it's much further than the 746.98 feet shown on the plat from the intersection of those roads.

View attachment 2555133
As I read the survey, the front property line (frontage on road) is approx 747’ and the rear property line measures 1307’. So that would make the property more trapezoid-shaped than rectangular. In other words, your red line should start at the point you found in the lower right corner, and then move up diagonally to the point that is 747’ along the road.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,886 Posts
I agree, I took the the two longest sides to calculate acres and it still doesn't get to 40 acres:

View attachment 2555138
Well, that’s actually much closer than what I got. With the small additional amount in the r.o.w. area, it probably gets you there?

But what I can’t reconcile is the lengths of the front and rear property lines. They are drastically different, as I read it. When I use those measurements, I only come up with about 30 acres of land so I must be misreading the survey. Hopefully one of our surveyors will come along and set me straight.

·
Super Moderator
44,036 Posts
Well, that’s actually much closer than what I got. With the small additional amount in the r.o.w. area, it probably gets you there?

But what I can’t reconcile is the lengths of the front and rear property lines. They are drastically different, as I read it. When I use those measurements, I only come up with about 30 acres of land so I must be misreading the survey. Hopefully one of our surveyors will come along and set me straight.
I agree they look square on the plat but are definitely quite a way off for the distances recorded.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
As I read the survey, the front property line (frontage on road) is approx 747’ and the rear property line measures 1307’. So that would make the property more trapezoid-shaped than rectangular. In other words, your red line should start at the point you found in the lower right corner, and then move up diagonally to the point that is 747’ along the road.
You need to look a little higher on the map. Like the center line of the road and where the original footage begins. 1333.85-33=1300.85'. The 33 foot deduction is the 33 foot right of way. The opposite side is 1307.08 feet. That's why the 747' looks out of range. It's just a footage to a protectory point in the roadway meaning Beechwood is not straight.
If there are any markers off the roadway they should be 33' from the centerline of the road. (roadway width divided by 2 then 33' out)
There may not be property markers in the roadway but the locations can be found from the information given. Center line of SW 1/4 and Beechwood intersection would be a given. I am not formular with what shows on the drone screen. Just flying up the center lines of the roadways to the intersecting lines may get you to what appears to be the north west corner. Not sure if you will find a marker 33' each way of that point . But if the drone will record footages from the center line of the roadway that will be the most accurate. Not sure what your roadway surface is but I am not sure I would start painting without prior approvals. A temporary nail maybe a better way to go. Anyways be careful and don't get ran over.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When I did ours, I made up a bunch of 6 ft yellow stakes, and using a tape and compass, put a stake in about every 50 ft starting from either end where the points were known, then I just repeatedly "eyed" up the line, making corrections, eventually all the stakes were in a straight line and were lined up with the end points. I was trying to get to +/- 6 inches and I believe I achieved that.
A surveyor transit would likely have made the process much faster but I didn't have one.

Dan

and possibly give me some advice on how to make a relatively straight line along those two stretches, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Reactions: Just Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Okay, I am pooped! Went out to take pictures of the two visual markers that I can find for our property so far. I found a tree blown down in a storm and had to cut it up. Then decided that since I already had the cutting gear out, I may as well cut some other stuff that I had dropped a week or so ago. Busy day, and I'm worn out! Anyway, the first two pictures The first two pictures are the NE corner marker. This is the one that I'm not sure was put there by the survey company, as I don't think that would have lasted 8 years (when the last survey was taken). I'm pretty sure those sticks would have gotten knocked over, or fallen down in 8 years time. But in the second picture, you'll see a fence post, that is the end of a rotten fence that I need to take down, that was put up by the previous owner, as they had horses. I'm assuming that this first marker wasn't placed by the survey company, but is pretty close to accurate (as far as East West goes), as it's about 15'-20' East of the last fence post, and if I were the homeowner I'd leave some type of easement between my structures and my property boundary.

The third and fourth pictures are the best property marker as far as I'm concerned. It leaves no doubts about who placed it, so that it's accuracy should be pretty good. These two pictures show the marker in the SW corner, along the gravel road, where somebody left that old logging truck. The truck is not on our property, so I'm guessing whoever owns the tract of land to our South or SW parked it there. Kind of cool though!
Plant Terrestrial plant Trunk Wood Natural landscape
Plant Green Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Tree
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Tree
Plant Plant community Green Tree Natural landscape

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Defiantly a survey marker if labeled as such and on the proper steel post. Other than survey marker what other information is on it?
It says "Please protect nearby survey marker". "If location of this marker is endangered, please contact county clerk's office".

·
Registered
917 Posts
Okay guys, the wife found our copy of the survey. Here it is. There's a LOT of information on this thing! And based on the key, it appears that the property boundary in the SW corner is in fact, a piece of #5 rebar that's buried. So, without a metal detector, I'm not going to accurately know how to visibly mark our property boundary? That kind of sucks.

I'm also curious, why do they use several different types of markers on any given property, when a given single type could be used? And why ONLY have one buried, and not buried as well as something that's visible to the human eye? This doesn't make sense to me.
Hi. I hadn't looked at this post for a while, but now see a few things on your plat that may help you.
  • They use different markers mostly for legal reasons. The original Public Land Survey established the section lines. The markers set can only be changed by an official process (for example in Montana rocks were scribed and set in the ground and witness trees marked around the corners. Some of these can still be found in wilderness areas. These were updated to posts with aluminum caps when property lines were updated). Interior subdivisions follow different rules to be consistent. Surveyors must follow rules for types of markers and when they can be set
  • Your property lines follow this process. Your property line is the darkest line in the interior of your plat square. Look at the corner marker notes at the bottom of the plat, they are important.
  • Unfortunately, the surveyor determined your lines mathematically on the west and north sides - corners shown with little black triangles - so there are no actual markers.
  • From the plat: your SouthWest property corner is 33 ft east of an aluminum capped post that is now buried in the road. If you find it, it will have "SW Cor Sec 19" inscribed on a 2-inch cap. I am pretty sure this is the marker referenced by the sign in your photo.
-The surveyor that made this plat set a 5/8" x 30" rebar in the South East corner of your property. It likely has a plastic surveyor cap - small yellow, red, white - on top of it and should be several inches out of the ground. This is the corner you are trying to find. They often put a wooden stake or tie flags near the rebar.
- The surveyor set the same type rebar marker on the North East corner of your property, 33 feet from the center of the road right of way. Note that road R/W is different from the road itself. It's only a coincidence if the road is centered in the R/W, for a variety of reasons.
- The north line of your property is shown as several shorter lines with the triangles as corners. Adding up the noted lengths gives 1303.52 ft total.
Misc:
- There are no Lat/Long references on this plat. All the degree minute second notes are for compass bearings using
North, South East or West as zero.
- If you can find that North East corner rebar, that would probably be the most reliable spot to work from.
- Do what DL North says to establish the line

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Hi. I hadn't looked at this post for a while, but now see a few things on your plat that may help you.
  • They use different markers mostly for legal reasons. The original Public Land Survey established the section lines. The markers set can only be changed by an official process (for example in Montana rocks were scribed and set in the ground and witness trees marked around the corners. Some of these can still be found in wilderness areas. These were updated to posts with aluminum caps when property lines were updated). Interior subdivisions follow different rules to be consistent. Surveyors must follow rules for types of markers and when they can be set
  • Your property lines follow this process. Your property line is the darkest line in the interior of your plat square. Look at the corner marker notes at the bottom of the plat, they are important.
  • Unfortunately, the surveyor determined your lines mathematically on the west and north sides - corners shown with little black triangles - so there are no actual markers.
  • From the plat: your SouthWest property corner is 33 ft east of an aluminum capped post that is now buried in the road. If you find it, it will have "SW Cor Sec 19" inscribed on a 2-inch cap. I am pretty sure this is the marker referenced by the sign in your photo.
-The surveyor that made this plat set a 5/8" x 30" rebar in the South East corner of your property. It likely has a plastic surveyor cap - small yellow, red, white - on top of it and should be several inches out of the ground. This is the corner you are trying to find. They often put a wooden stake or tie flags near the rebar.
- The surveyor set the same type rebar marker on the North East corner of your property, 33 feet from the center of the road right of way. Note that road R/W is different from the road itself. It's only a coincidence if the road is centered in the R/W, for a variety of reasons.
- The north line of your property is shown as several shorter lines with the triangles as corners. Adding up the noted lengths gives 1303.52 ft total.
Misc:
- There are no Lat/Long references on this plat. All the degree minute second notes are for compass bearings using
North, South East or West as zero.
- If you can find that North East corner rebar, that would probably be the most reliable spot to work from.
- Do what DL North says to establish the line
Thank you! I feel that I have a little more insight, and comprehension to my plat and land now. You worded things plainly enough that even somebody who has a hard time wrapping their (my) head around this stuff, can follow along and understand pretty well. Honestly, a lot of the stuff the guys were saying above kind went over my head. I appreciate ALL of the information from everybody though!

So, the marker in the SW corner that is visible, can I assume that it would have been placed in-line with the actual marker that's buried in the road and the marker in the SE corner? That way, I could just use that marker as my reference point for a straight line from East to West, along my South border. I don't know if that would be a reliable point of reference though.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts