My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Will be interesting to see how it works out. Not sure what you can send to the drone from this.
Okay, so there ARE some numbers now. I posted them directly above this post with the pictures. I do believe that I'm getting closer to figuring this out with some degree of accuracy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Who hoo, and the drone WILL finally be here tomorrow. As confirmed by the email I just got from UPS. I really look forward to that, because that thing measures with precise accuracy. It uses a minimum of 12 satellites when it flies. When it takes off, it takes note of exactly where it is when it leaves, and when you hit the RTH (return to home) button, it flies autonomously back to where it took off from within two or three inches.
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Event

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,872 Posts
Jeff, does your survey give total acreage, or do you only have the total from the real estate agent’s representation?

Around here they often use a term called “builder’s acre”, which is less than an actual true acre. (It usually refers to approximately 40K sq ft lots, which are easier for builder’s to lay out at 200’x200’, or 100’x400’, etc.) Just wondering if the agent was playing loose with the term “acre”?

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Jeff, does your survey give total acreage, or do you only have the total from the real estate agent’s representation?

Around here they often use a term called “builder’s acre”, which is less than an actual true acre. (It usually refers to approximately 40K sq ft lots, which are easier for builder’s to lay out at 200’x200’, or 100’x400’, etc.) Just wondering if the agent was playing loose with the term “acre”?
I'll pull it when the wife gets home. I don't know where she stores anything LOL. I do know that we have one though. I should be able to scan and upload it within the next two hours or so.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
When I bought the house & property here in northern Florida for $20,000 cash in 2015, just about everything stated that it was 0.944 acres. A couple of years later after some difficulties with a neighbor, I had a proper survey performed. Interestingly enough, with the proper survey, I gained a third of an acre to 1.25 acres. The property is anything but square with 7 distinct corners and shaped more like an arrowhead with an odd semicircle around a water oak.

Before the proper survey, I had attempted to find my property lines using the tax assessor's page and other and had major problems. The picture doesn't show the semicircle, but one of the problems I had was they have the property line splitting the driveway in half, which made no sense. That meant that there was errors with it. Just where the errors were, I had no idea.

Interesting thread, Just Jeff! I enjoy following along.

Map Slope Land lot Biome Terrestrial plant

Reactions: Just Jeff

·
Registered
914 Posts
Based on your photo above, I found information in this website about your parcel. It is two parcels that make up a quarter quarter section, 40 acres, minus the highway right of way for 36.5 acres. A 40 is a square 1320 feet on each side. Depending on what corner markers you have located, they may be the 40 corners or the R/W corners. You could probably get more info by calling or visiting the Iron River township offices, who maintain this site. Maybe even get documentation about the survey markers that are or have been in place.

Since you found this GPS app, you should be able to plug in the coordinates and just follow your phone to the point. They are Lat 46.101777; Long -88.736225. I also found these on the website. Just point at the corner and they are displayed at the top.

One thing to be aware of is that GPS in a phone does not give pinpoint accuracy. Depending on conditions the actual location may be up to 15 feet from that shown on the phone. That means distances and locations are estimates subject to error. Your app may display the accuracy level. Phone GPS is designed to get you from home to your newest favorite restaurant. Surveyors use sophisticated GPS equipment that is accurate within inches.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I see you are getting your drone. You should be able to plug in the coordinates and just follow your drone to the point. They are Lat 46.101777; Long -88.736225.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Most property surveys are taken for a center line of road station unless it fall within three or more properties with out road access. Then they are the property line.
I would think any legal property discrimination would have cordanances. Most people are clueless as to how to read them and for real estate transactions a sketch with dimensions is all that's required.
Any county land office should have access to what you are looking for.

·
Super Moderator
43,971 Posts
When I bought the house & property here in northern Florida for $20,000 cash in 2015, just about everything stated that it was 0.944 acres. A couple of years later after some difficulties with a neighbor, I had a proper survey performed. Interestingly enough, with the proper survey, I gained a third of an acre to 1.25 acres. The property is anything but square with 7 distinct corners and shaped more like an arrowhead with an odd semicircle around a water oak.

Before the proper survey, I had attempted to find my property lines using the tax assessor's page and other and had major problems. The picture doesn't show the semicircle, but one of the problems I had was they have the property line splitting the driveway in half, which made no sense. That meant that there was errors with it. Just where the errors were, I had no idea.

Interesting thread, Just Jeff! I enjoy following along.

View attachment 2553443
A lot of GIS info was put in place from scanned documents trying to marry it up with orthophotography. The planning department always made us state that any image we provide using the GIS system is not a "legal" boundary, you have to have surveyors mark them. They had a big project going on in Planning when I retired to rectify all the scanned images to the orthophotographs, but even when they complete that they won't allow the images to be "legal" but they will be close.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Based on your photo above, I found information in this website about your parcel. It is two parcels that make up a quarter quarter section, 40 acres, minus the highway right of way for 36.5 acres. A 40 is a square 1320 feet on each side. Depending on what corner markers you have located, they may be the 40 corners or the R/W corners. You could probably get more info by calling or visiting the Iron River township offices, who maintain this site. Maybe even get documentation about the survey markers that are or have been in place.

Since you found this GPS app, you should be able to plug in the coordinates and just follow your phone to the point. They are Lat 46.101777; Long -88.736225. I also found these on the website. Just point at the corner and they are displayed at the top.

One thing to be aware of is that GPS in a phone does not give pinpoint accuracy. Depending on conditions the actual location may be up to 15 feet from that shown on the phone. That means distances and locations are estimates subject to error. Your app may display the accuracy level. Phone GPS is designed to get you from home to your newest favorite restaurant. Surveyors use sophisticated GPS equipment that is accurate within inches.
Wow, thanks a lot! That's VERY helpful!

6,074 Posts
Your survey should show the distance from A-D and C-D. Take rough measurements until the two points meet each other at marker D. If you don't know those measurements your township may have a better survey on file.
Jeff, I agree with what AP said. Wait until you get the plat with all four sides of measurements. Even though you think its a square it may not be. Remember the measurement A to B may not be the same as D to C. And the measurement C to B may not be the same for D to A.

·
Registered
914 Posts
A lot of GIS info was put in place from scanned documents trying to marry it up with orthophotography. The planning department always made us state that any image we provide using the GIS system is not a "legal" boundary,
No doubt the Iron River GIS was done this way, no argument from me. There are a couple of saving graces though, in your case.
- Your outer boundaries are part of the Public Land Survey System (PLSS), so they fall on the original Section, Township, Range survey of the State. That overlay is available on their GIS map, and those lines correspond with your property lines. I used it to ID the coordinates.
-The highway right of way should have a separate plat, as noted in the property description.

·
Registered
I have had many different tractors, at present I have a early 40s Gibson tractor & a early 70s Sears
418 Posts
Once you get the roughed in area you could rent or ask someone to use a detector to find that corner. If it was me would want a corner stake in D location. You never know if your neighbor sales and someone else might not be so nice. My cousin is going through that very thing. He had good relations with his old neighbor then somebody else bought it and started say Jeff's land was his and poor Jeff is at his Witt's end about how to stop him.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you know within a yard or so where you corner is ... There is a free metal detecting app you can put on your phone ... I know it sounds crazy but I had the same problem I couldn't find one corner marker on my property.... I knew the general area that it should be in but didn't want to buy a metal detector....Believe it or not the app found the metal corner post...You just have to crawl around on the ground holding you phone an inch or two off the ground and sweep the area....Just an idea

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here's the legal description of the property:
779-521 SEC 19 T43N R35W PT OF THE SW ¼ OF SW ¼ MORE FULLY DESC AS FOLLOWS: COM AT SW COR OF SEC 19; TH N01°01'08"E ALG W BNDRY LN OF SEC 19 1315.99’ TO NW COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH S88°44'02"E ALG N BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 727.91’ TO POB; TH CONT S88°44'02"E 607.94’ TO NE COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH S00°50'06"W ALG E BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 33’ TO S ROW OF OLD BEECHWOOD RD; TH CONT S00°50'06"W 1283.98’ TO SE COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH N88°41'45"W ALG S BNDRY LN OF SAID FORTY 612.17’; TH N01°01'08"E PARALLEL TO W BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 1278.61’ S ROW LN OF OLD BEECHWOOD RD; TH CONT N01°01'08"E 37.91’ TO POB. 18.44 A.

I'll let you all digest that. It hurts my head. 😁

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Here's the legal description of the property:
779-521 SEC 19 T43N R35W PT OF THE SW ¼ OF SW ¼ MORE FULLY DESC AS FOLLOWS: COM AT SW COR OF SEC 19; TH N01°01'08"E ALG W BNDRY LN OF SEC 19 1315.99’ TO NW COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH S88°44'02"E ALG N BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 727.91’ TO POB; TH CONT S88°44'02"E 607.94’ TO NE COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH S00°50'06"W ALG E BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 33’ TO S ROW OF OLD BEECHWOOD RD; TH CONT S00°50'06"W 1283.98’ TO SE COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH N88°41'45"W ALG S BNDRY LN OF SAID FORTY 612.17’; TH N01°01'08"E PARALLEL TO W BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 1278.61’ S ROW LN OF OLD BEECHWOOD RD; TH CONT N01°01'08"E 37.91’ TO POB. 18.44 A.

I'll let you all digest that. It hurts my head. 😁
Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Jeff, I agree with what AP said. Wait until you get the plat with all four sides of measurements. Even though you think its a square it may not be. Remember the measurement A to B may not be the same as D to C. And the measurement C to B may not be the same for D to A.
If even given the angles are important. If they don't equal 360° keep figuring.

41 - 60 of 157 Posts