My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Jeff, does your survey give total acreage, or do you only have the total from the real estate agent’s representation?

Around here they often use a term called “builder’s acre”, which is less than an actual true acre. (It usually refers to approximately 40K sq ft lots, which are easier for builder’s to lay out at 200’x200’, or 100’x400’, etc.) Just wondering if the agent was playing loose with the term “acre”?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
We have rebar rod at all four corners of our lot. But they stick up an inch or two above ground level and are easy to find visually.

I would be surprised if your surveyor pounded your markers down below the surface or even flush. They should be sticking up a bit. I would think if you got in the vicinity of that corner marker you could find it even without a metal detector.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
I've never seen a surveyor not use North/West Lat/Long before. Always taught to read right/up in all my map reading courses. Here is where I found 88°44'02" to be located on Google Earth. But it's much further than the 746.98 feet shown on the plat from the intersection of those roads.

View attachment 2555133
As I read the survey, the front property line (frontage on road) is approx 747’ and the rear property line measures 1307’. So that would make the property more trapezoid-shaped than rectangular. In other words, your red line should start at the point you found in the lower right corner, and then move up diagonally to the point that is 747’ along the road.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
I agree, I took the the two longest sides to calculate acres and it still doesn't get to 40 acres:

View attachment 2555138
Well, that’s actually much closer than what I got. With the small additional amount in the r.o.w. area, it probably gets you there?

But what I can’t reconcile is the lengths of the front and rear property lines. They are drastically different, as I read it. When I use those measurements, I only come up with about 30 acres of land so I must be misreading the survey. Hopefully one of our surveyors will come along and set me straight.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Jeff, have you considered hiring a surveyor to set corner and boundary marks? In my area, they are not very expensive to hire (but building lots are tiny by comparison here.) And if I bought a big tract like yours, I would want my own survey for my records anyway. Just a thought…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts