My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,927 Posts
@Flaken has you on the right track. When the new owners of the land next to me came in and "marked" the property they had those metal stakes with caps placed at the corners. Unfortunately, one of them was right on a spot that I keep mowed and they are a pain to mow around. Somehow the metal stake sank slightly below ground level, now mowing is much easier!

·
Super Moderator
43,927 Posts
When I bought the house & property here in northern Florida for $20,000 cash in 2015, just about everything stated that it was 0.944 acres. A couple of years later after some difficulties with a neighbor, I had a proper survey performed. Interestingly enough, with the proper survey, I gained a third of an acre to 1.25 acres. The property is anything but square with 7 distinct corners and shaped more like an arrowhead with an odd semicircle around a water oak.

Before the proper survey, I had attempted to find my property lines using the tax assessor's page and other and had major problems. The picture doesn't show the semicircle, but one of the problems I had was they have the property line splitting the driveway in half, which made no sense. That meant that there was errors with it. Just where the errors were, I had no idea.

Interesting thread, Just Jeff! I enjoy following along.

View attachment 2553443
A lot of GIS info was put in place from scanned documents trying to marry it up with orthophotography. The planning department always made us state that any image we provide using the GIS system is not a "legal" boundary, you have to have surveyors mark them. They had a big project going on in Planning when I retired to rectify all the scanned images to the orthophotographs, but even when they complete that they won't allow the images to be "legal" but they will be close.

·
Super Moderator
43,927 Posts
I've never seen a surveyor not use North/West Lat/Long before. Always taught to read right/up in all my map reading courses. Here is where I found 88°44'02" to be located on Google Earth. But it's much further than the 746.98 feet shown on the plat from the intersection of those roads.

Road surface Asphalt Grey Slope Concrete

·
Super Moderator
43,927 Posts
Well, that’s actually much closer than what I got. With the small additional amount in the r.o.w. area, it probably gets you there?

But what I can’t reconcile is the lengths of the front and rear property lines. They are drastically different, as I read it. When I use those measurements, I only come up with about 30 acres of land so I must be misreading the survey. Hopefully one of our surveyors will come along and set me straight.
I agree they look square on the plat but are definitely quite a way off for the distances recorded.

·
Super Moderator
43,927 Posts
I'd like to thank everybody for their help in helping me find my last property boundary. I FINALLY got off of my butt and go found it. @ZTT42, and @PA318Guy, you guys were instrumental in helping me! Well, really everybody helped a lot, and I really appreciate it.

The other day I downloaded a hunting app on my phone called "OnX", which I believe is based on property taxes and previous surveys. It's not "perfect", but it's within 20 feet or so. So, I went out today, and found the SE property marker. The rebar WAS there, but fortunately, somebody else also put a metal fence post there to mark it, or it would have been nearly impossible to see/find without a metal detector.

So, the wife and I walked the entire South property line, and added waypoints at each place that I stopped to wrap a piece of pink loggers' ribbon around a tree that was relatively close to our property line. I just need to walk the East side from North to South now, and mark that as well. Now I know exactly where I'll be safe in continuing to cut my trails. The yellow dots are where I've started cutting trail the other day, and will continue to the South and then West to the dirt road. After that, who knows where it will go? But it will be fun having access to all of our property now, so that I can also know where I can safely (without trespassing on neighbor's property) scrounge firewood from.

@ZTT42, the GPS coordinates that you estimated for our SE property corner was within 15 feet of the surveyor's rebar!

View attachment 2560313

View attachment 2560314
Congrats, glad you are all marked out now, another project you can mark complete now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts