My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Only
Usually steel rods topped with a plastic cap. The use of a metal detector can be of help. You have the general area to sweep with the detector. Being as how the area likely has had not much human impact, you likely won't find all sorts of other metal.
Only if done in the last 20 years or so. Before that don't plan on finding plastic caps.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Most property surveys are taken for a center line of road station unless it fall within three or more properties with out road access. Then they are the property line.
I would think any legal property discrimination would have cordanances. Most people are clueless as to how to read them and for real estate transactions a sketch with dimensions is all that's required.
Any county land office should have access to what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Jeff, I agree with what AP said. Wait until you get the plat with all four sides of measurements. Even though you think its a square it may not be. Remember the measurement A to B may not be the same as D to C. And the measurement C to B may not be the same for D to A.
If even given the angles are important. If they don't equal 360° keep figuring.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
I tried looking for the maps required to locate a few things on the list. You do know they sent you the listing for both parcels #004-019-011-10 & 004-019-011-00. I have tried both the state site and county to obtain a township map. Both say no can do without a sign-in. It is understandable that they want to know who is asking for the information. Just being able to locate the parcels would help but I have not given up yet. I know of other ways of getting there.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to find, but If you go to the Iron River township GIS site I listed previously, you can zoom in and see the parcel lines. It is a messy red blob, but first click on the little bowtie in the middle and move the curtain to the left, then zoom in enough to find Hwy 2, then Old Beechwood road and follow it to your place, then zoom closer to see the plats. You can also turn on the Iron River 1/41/4 section lines. If you click on a parcel it will display the legal description, ownership and tax information. No sign-in is required to do this. It takes a little time to load the lines each time you zoom in, but it does work.
I could not get the lines or roads to load alone the plate. The red blob did appear. Anything that occurred while trying to zoom in only created a fuzzy picture. I realize my load times are not all that great. But there can't be that much information that it should take more than 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Dang. It shouldn't be that bad. When I said a little time to load the lines, I meant 3-6 seconds for the thick blobs to resolve to the next level on my slow 10MBPS DSL service. That said, GIS is a notorious data hog. The files are enormous and take up way too much data.
I was having speed problems and finally had to get a new modem from the phone company, then had to update the drivers in my computer before it would behave.
Here is a screenshot of the webpage with just jeff's plat

View attachment 2553752
Thanks that helps a lot.
Here is a drawing I made of the legal description that Virtual Guy provided. It only covers the eastern tract where your house is located. The survey starts at the SW corner of section 19 and follows the section and 1/4/1/4 section line to the POB - Point Of Beginning. Then it describes the tract boundaries, minus the Road R/W. The Star is the corner you are looking for.
I looked at the legal description. for the other tract on the township website, but it is only partially shown - due to space limitations, I think. The first two locator bearings in this drawing would be the same for the other parcel.

View attachment 2553773
Will I found the problem. I was looking at your post here trying to figure why you had Beechwood going east and west. Someone had posted an address of 407 which Google sent me to just south of the river. Guess what Beechwood runs north and south at the point. After see #67 yes this make all the since in the world and Long&Lat even works. So yes at times it pays to have the whole picture and confusing info is just that.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Dang. It shouldn't be that bad. When I said a little time to load the lines, I meant 3-6 seconds for the thick blobs to resolve to the next level on my slow 10MBPS DSL service. That said, GIS is a notorious data hog. The files are enormous and take up way too much data.
I was having speed problems and finally had to get a new modem from the phone company, then had to update the drivers in my computer before it would behave.
Here is a screenshot of the webpage with just jeff's plat

View attachment 2553752
Thanks that helps a lot.
Here is a drawing I made of the legal description that Virtual Guy provided. It only covers the eastern tract where your house is located. The survey starts at the SW corner of section 19 and follows the section and 1/4/1/4 section line to the POB - Point Of Beginning. Then it describes the tract boundaries, minus the Road R/W. The Star is the corner you are looking for.
I looked at the legal description. for the other tract on the township website, but it is only partially shown - due to space limitations, I think. The first two locator bearings in this drawing would be the same for the other parcel.

View attachment 2553773
Will I found the problem. Will not yet NW corner N88°41'45"W can not be 88 some degrees south of NE corner N01°01'88"E. Things just don't work that way with an object almost rectangular. That would make the parcel one skewed parallelogram. If they have the SW corner confused with the NW corner this would be more a reality.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
This thread brought back many good memories for me. I worked summers as a part timer with a land surveyor back in the early 1970's when I was a teenager. That would be the very early days of LASERS and radio distancing. I have fond memories of "pulling chain" along thousand plus foot long property lines, 100' at a time. And I have many not so fond memories of being eating by various insects that both fly and crawl. I also remember the boss taking our field notes and doing the calculations to make sure our survey "closed". The distances measured and the internal angles are computed out to prove we ended at the same point we started from (a good thing!). A four sided property was easy, the angles add up to 360 degrees and the geometry wasn't too tough to calculate. The properties with a dozen or more sides and a couple of radii tossed in for fun got complex pretty quick.
Degrees still add up to 360 regardless the number of bends. Always a good thing to know.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
I am not sure what you are saying here, but after I read it, I looked at my plat drawing and noted that I wrote the wrong bearing to the left of the Star at the SE corner of the tract. That bearing should be N88 41' 45"W (not E). Since they used bearings, not azimuths, in the old survey, it can be more confusing. For example, N 88 41'45"W is azimuth 271 deg 18'15", or a line just over one degree off due west.
Look at the posted north bearings. The north east is at 00° and the north west at 88°. That would make the north east and north west corners almost 90° to each other when they should be about parallel to Beechwood.
(NE,SE) (NW,SW) vertical from north and Beechwood. I am not familiar with crisscross locations. Maybe Michigan does things differently. But there are national standards.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Everything in the legal description follows the PLSS national standard. I followed the notes to make the drawing. It's possible you are misinterpreting my labels. The property is one of the two tracts in the SW1/4SW1/4 Section 19, T43N, R35W. They reference the survey to the SW corner of sec 19, a monumented verified point. Then they go 1/4 mile north to the NW corner of the SW1/4SW1/4 sec 19. Next they make a 90 degree turn and go east to the NW corner of the tract they are surveying. Then they survey the rectangular tract. All the bearings are little over 1 degree off true N, S, E, W; not unusual when trying to paste a square on to a globe.
It's odd they have their (POB) point of beginning in the northeast corner. I tried going online to figure out the GSI layout. No I am not paying for a class. Guess I an just use to see things given from longitude and latitude.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
GIS is just mapping software that people have adapted to whatever purpose they need. They take a bunch of mapping data, stack it up in the computer and index it so you can select parts you want to reference. In this case, we're looking at some satellite or aerial photos overlaid with roads and other labeled geographic things, Then layers of the PLSS, subdivision property lines, owner titles, tax information, original survey notes, county lines, fire districts, National Forest boundaries, a cursor Lat/Long reference and who knows what else.
Before GIS, any of these things would have been on paper files in someone's office (or several someone's). It's amazing to be able to look at it all in one place. I use our County's GIS to update owners names for our subdivision's little water system. They post things there right after any real estate transaction.
I don't know if anyone is interested in this stuff, but here is an article that tells how Michigan was originally surveyed. The SW corner of Section 19 would have been established in this survey - quite a while before Satellites, GPS and GIS. Other states are similar.

I got out of the business back when electronic files and the ability of file stacking was just starting to become common place. back then GIS was only used for project mapping so that someone else could create Cad, or MicroStation files. Way back when 3D after the fact drawing were just being created. That puts us back about 10 years.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Three of your markers are in the roadway. For obvious reasons these can't be seen. The fourth is buried to protect it as in if you can't find it. It can't be moved. Even though it's illegal to move markers it surprising how often it happens.
Someone plants a tree on a property line and then moves or the neighbors want to put up a fence and the trees now in the way. Don't want to take out a now near grown shade tree so we will just mover the fence to the other side.
Also on open parsels that rebar could easily take out a tractor tire. Those are just a few examples.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Where are you finding the three markers at the roadways. In the center line of the road
or at 33' of right of way?
At the right of way I have approximately 1300.85' at Beechwood, 2598.89' at 1/4 of 1/4, 1307.08' parallel to Beechwood and 2600.96 parallel to 1/4 of 1/4

1 - 20 of 28 Posts