My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm having trouble finding my last property marker. It's possible that it has been removed by somebody.

I've got a copy of the last survey that was done, but when I go to that (South-East) corner of my property, I can't find the property marker. If you look at the sketch that I've attached, you'll see that I know exactly where three points are, and that my property is basically square (or actually rectangular, it's deeper than it is wide, but my picture doesn't reflect that, because I'm not much of an artist LOL)

I want to find (about) where my last property marker should be, because I'm in the process of cutting trail around the perimeter of the property so that the wife and I can ride our side by side all the way around the outside of our property. This property marker doesn't have to be "legal" by any means, I just want to cut trail on MY property, and make sure that I'm not trespassing and cutting trail on one of my neighbor's property. I'll probably stay15'-20' inside of my property line with my trail to make sure that I'm not encroaching too closely to my neighbor's property.

Now, if I stand at point "A", and fly my drone from point "A" to point "B", my controller will tell me exactly how many feet it is from point "A" to point "B". And likewise, it will tell me how many feet it is from point "B" to point "C". Also, if I fly from point "A" to point "C" it will tell me how many feet long that the hypotenuse angle is as well. Now, if I use the Pythagorean Theorem, in theory, I can figure out where (about) my last property boundary is. But in reality, I don't know how to place it. Any suggestions?
Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Pattern

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff...what material are the marker that you have located made of?
There are two "posts". Point "A", and point "C" both have metal posts placed in the ground with little yellow tags on them from the surveying company. Point "B", we just know where it is because of a copy of the last survey, and know that our property is bordered by the two roads.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually steel rods topped with a plastic cap. The use of a metal detector can be of help. You have the general area to sweep with the detector. Being as how the area likely has had not much human impact, you likely won't find all sorts of other metal.
I've heard/been told that before. I don't have a metal detector, and really didn't want to buy one just for this one time usage. And as I stated in my initial post, it doesn't have to be a "legal" marker that would hold up in court, I just want a pretty accurate approximation, so that I can be sure that I'm not trespassing on my neighbor's property.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Flaken has you on the right track. When the new owners of the land next to me came in and "marked" the property they had those metal stakes with caps placed at the corners. Unfortunately, one of them was right on a spot that I keep mowed and they are a pain to mow around. Somehow the metal stake sank slightly below ground level, now mowing is much easier!
Nice! Not to mention, how convenient that was for you LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you provide some measurements and angle?
I would prefer coordinates but!
I can and will in the next couple of days. I'm waiting for my drone to be shipped back to me. It's supposed to be here this coming Tuesday. I prefer using that, as it tells me exactly how man feet it is away from me, and the measurements will be much more precise using that vs. trying to step it off etc...

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So your trying to do this without surveyors notes?
Yes. I just want a "pretty close" idea of where the fourth and last property boundary is, so that I can cut a trail (on my side of the property line), about 20' or so inside of it, and make sure that I'm still on my property. The other land that belongs to my neighbor(s) is undeveloped, so it probably wouldn't be a HUGE deal if my trail encroached on their property. But in trying to be a good neighbor, I'd rather stay on my side of the property line and not have to worry about issues with them going forward.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This post is useless without dimensions and an angle.
I said somewhere above that I WILL give the three dimensions that I know of on Tuesday when I get my drone back, as that will count off exactly how many feet are in between the three points of reference that I have so far.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have a clear line of sight to the missing point while standing at point "A" or at point "C" you can set up a step ladder or some other portable platform and lay a cheap plastic protractor on it. Sight down the angle mentioned in your survey towards the missing point and measure out the distance. You can lay a pencil on the protractor and look down it, or if you want to be really fussy, screw the protractor to a scrap piece of wood and then pound in a couple of finish nails into the wood to use as aiming points. Depending on the distances involved, you can get pretty darn close doing this. I would think you could be within 2 feet on a 400 foot property line using a little care.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If your property is actually a rectangle as shown, then line A-B = line ?-C, and line A-? = line B-C. Measure those distances from point A and point C. The intersection of the arcs with radii A-B and B-/C is point ?.
You can measure with drone, tape measure, laser rangefinder, pacing, whatever works for you.
This is "kind of" correct. If I remember correctly, the equation is actually A squared plus B squared equals C squared. I'll have to look it up again. But what I think I'm going to do is, take my number of feet from point B to point C, then measure that same amount of feet from point A to my question mark, and drop a red flag with the drone. Then I'll take my number from point A to point C, and duplicate that going from point B to the question mark, and drop another flag. If I want to get even closer, I can duplicate my number from A to B, and do it going from C back to my question mark as well, and drop yet another flag. Those three flags should be in pretty close proximity to each other, and then I'll drive in a post somewhere there abouts, and paint it red. I think that should get me pretty close.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also, if you know how to use a compass, you can turn a 90 degree angle from the lines and follow the bearing to narrow down your arc.
I was actually talking to somebody about using a compass earlier today. And in all honesty, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I used to know how to use one on a most basic level. But I've forgotten how now.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Also don't forget, distances on a survey are horizontal distances. So if you have any slope your measured distance will be off.

If you have 90 degree corners, using the hypotenuse will make sure you have laid out a rectangle, not a parallelogram.

The square root of A? squared plus AB squared will give you your hypotenuse.
In a true rectangle AC and B? are both the same distance.

Used that method to square up many foundations over the years.
3,4,5 also is a great roofers tool used to square up shingles, 30,40,50 is also a square corner as is 300, 400, 500.

And I thought I would never use geometry in real life, wound up using it every day.
I 3,4,5'd it every day for 22 years as a carpenter. And that's what I've been thinking about doing here. But, doing it on a 40' X 60' foundation to snap out lines for your green-plate is different (and a whole lot easier) than doing it for 40 acres, where I'm extending those lines 1,000' or so LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If you can measure diagonal from A to C once you have that measurement you should be able to put the tape on B and find D. That how you make sure you dig a house hole big enough for a foundation. Or square a hole.
It's not quite that simple. While yes, YOU CAN put one end of a tape on "B", but whether that would end up in exactly the same place on the other end, where the question mark is, is not for sure, unless you cross that with another measurement from either A or C.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've found the https://landglide.com/ phone app to be helpful. It shows property boundaries on a map with your current location (from GPS) indicated. You can watch your phone and walk to the corner. Of course it's limited to the available public property data and the accuracy of your phone's location but I've found it helpful.

It also shows who owns various pieces of rural property. Unrelated to your specific issue but still pretty useful to figure out who your neighbors are.
Nice, thank you! I'll check that out.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Okay, I just found an app that I could use on my phone to measure distance/area with GPS signals. This is what I've got. I'm not positive how to set specific waypoints etc yet but going across the front of my property to that side road, it showed exactly 400 meters (don't know how to change that from meters to feet on the app, so I just converted it later). And then, it just kept a running tally of how many meters across the front of my property, and down the side road, to the property marker. And you can see the total at the top of the picture. 796.614 meters for two sides of my property total. Just for the heck of it, I did 400 X 400, which is 1,600sq. meters. When converting that, as you can see, it came out to 39.5 acres. So, I'm going to assume the app is pretty accurate, and that the variation, and reason for why it didn't come out to exactly 400 meters down the side road, is due to the imperfections of where the roads intersect.

Is it safe to assume (NOT for legal purposes) that the property actually is exactly, or darn close to exactly, 1,600 square meters, and that the realtor just rounded up from 39.5+ acres to 40? Also, with these two measurements, I'm guessing that when the drone gets here tomorrow, and I can measure the diagonal number going from point A to point C in my original picture above, that I'll be able to do the same going from point B, to the question mark (or point D if you will), and that it will be pretty accurate. Then, if I stay 20' INSIDE of where I'm assuming that my property marker is in that back corner, I should be able to cut my trail around the perimeter of the property, and safely assume that I AM staying within my own property boundaries.
Map Slope Asphalt Font Grass
Ecoregion Land lot Slope Map Font
Rectangle Office equipment Office supplies Gadget Font

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Will be interesting to see how it works out. Not sure what you can send to the drone from this.
Okay, so there ARE some numbers now. I posted them directly above this post with the pictures. I do believe that I'm getting closer to figuring this out with some degree of accuracy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Who hoo, and the drone WILL finally be here tomorrow. As confirmed by the email I just got from UPS. I really look forward to that, because that thing measures with precise accuracy. It uses a minimum of 12 satellites when it flies. When it takes off, it takes note of exactly where it is when it leaves, and when you hit the RTH (return to home) button, it flies autonomously back to where it took off from within two or three inches.
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Event

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Jeff, does your survey give total acreage, or do you only have the total from the real estate agent’s representation?

Around here they often use a term called “builder’s acre”, which is less than an actual true acre. (It usually refers to approximately 40K sq ft lots, which are easier for builder’s to lay out at 200’x200’, or 100’x400’, etc.) Just wondering if the agent was playing loose with the term “acre”?
I'll pull it when the wife gets home. I don't know where she stores anything LOL. I do know that we have one though. I should be able to scan and upload it within the next two hours or so.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Based on your photo above, I found information in this website about your parcel. It is two parcels that make up a quarter quarter section, 40 acres, minus the highway right of way for 36.5 acres. A 40 is a square 1320 feet on each side. Depending on what corner markers you have located, they may be the 40 corners or the R/W corners. You could probably get more info by calling or visiting the Iron River township offices, who maintain this site. Maybe even get documentation about the survey markers that are or have been in place.

Since you found this GPS app, you should be able to plug in the coordinates and just follow your phone to the point. They are Lat 46.101777; Long -88.736225. I also found these on the website. Just point at the corner and they are displayed at the top.

One thing to be aware of is that GPS in a phone does not give pinpoint accuracy. Depending on conditions the actual location may be up to 15 feet from that shown on the phone. That means distances and locations are estimates subject to error. Your app may display the accuracy level. Phone GPS is designed to get you from home to your newest favorite restaurant. Surveyors use sophisticated GPS equipment that is accurate within inches.
Wow, thanks a lot! That's VERY helpful!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Here's the legal description of the property:
779-521 SEC 19 T43N R35W PT OF THE SW ¼ OF SW ¼ MORE FULLY DESC AS FOLLOWS: COM AT SW COR OF SEC 19; TH N01°01'08"E ALG W BNDRY LN OF SEC 19 1315.99’ TO NW COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH S88°44'02"E ALG N BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 727.91’ TO POB; TH CONT S88°44'02"E 607.94’ TO NE COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH S00°50'06"W ALG E BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 33’ TO S ROW OF OLD BEECHWOOD RD; TH CONT S00°50'06"W 1283.98’ TO SE COR OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼; TH N88°41'45"W ALG S BNDRY LN OF SAID FORTY 612.17’; TH N01°01'08"E PARALLEL TO W BNDRY LN OF SW ¼ OF SW ¼ 1278.61’ S ROW LN OF OLD BEECHWOOD RD; TH CONT N01°01'08"E 37.91’ TO POB. 18.44 A.

I'll let you all digest that. It hurts my head. 😁
Thank you!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts