My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Started to take apart my 10hp tecumseh today, there was a valve stuck, looked down into it, looks like there is metal shards stuck in there. Can anyone recommend a valve spring compressor within driving distance of me? Stores around me (within 40 mins) are sears, autozone, VIP auto, advance auto, walmart, home depot , lowes, etc. Any advice appreciated.

Tim

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I bought a "real" one,but I use my home brewed one more often!..the "real" one is a "C" clamp type that requires you to remove the head...my home made one doesn't...

I made it from a large strap hinge,I just cut slots in each end of it and used a bolt and wingnut to tighten it against the springs...had to bend the straps to the right shape to fit the springs..you can buy a hinge at Home Depot for 5 bucks and make it in about 10 minutes...why waste money on one?...most auto parts stores wont stock small engine tools ,but can get them the next day,and it will probably cost 20 bucks or so...

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,093 Posts
So t-h, yours sounds intriguing... But I just can't picture in my head how it works... You insert it against both ends of the spring through the opening from the crankcase breather? Got any pics? And when would you not have to remove the head if you're messing with the valves? Is that for JUST spring replacement? Or if the keeper fails?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.