My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Craftsman 917.273640 18,5 HP B&S motor that won't start. Just installed new magneto and plug, both were gapped correctly. Started right up the first time, shut it off to install the cover, went to start back up and got no spark again. just spins and spins and doesn't even attempt to fire. HELP! Thanks, Rick

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I would check the black wire that kills the engine when grounded.
Yup! Check for spark, if none, you may have pinched the kill wire. Grounding the kill wire - well - kills the engine spark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have tried starting with the kill wire off also and still have no spark. Looks like I might be taking a trip to the repairman

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,095 Posts
You say no spark, or it just won't start? With the "Kill" wire disconnected, only thing affecting spark is coil and flywheel. Sounds to me like sheared flywheel key since it ran at first. IF so, flywheel was not torqued properly. Spark will be present in this case, just not at the right time.

Walt Conner

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
This shouldn't make any difference, but unplug the Operator Presence Relay.
IF it now starts, you have a really bad PTO or clutch switch.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Just goes to show,everything "new" in the box--can't always cure the tro.Been there-done that.Glad you got it fixed!:trink40:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts