My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background:
I've been mowing this for about 3 years with a new JD E140. It's been doing a fine job tackling the hills.

Recently I had some surging problems, then the governor broke leaving it full throttle. So I got that fixed, then the mechanic replaced the carburetor... now it can barely make it up the hill anymore. He rigged up the wrong carburetor since he couldn't find the right one.

In trying to decide whether to throw good money after bad, I came across this forum and some threads about hills, and now I'm worried perhaps - even if we got this mower back in working order - it may be a ticking time bomb due to pushing the transmission so hard.

In short: I'm worried even if we get the power back in the E140, it's just a short matter of time before we have to replace the transmission.

The choices:

The options I'm evaluating are...

A. just use the E140 and hope to get enough years of use out of it that I don't regret not selling it before it crapped out
B. new Husqvarna TS 348XD (K66). This seems like the best long-term option in my budget?
C. new Husqvarna with a K58. Cheaper than "B" but more likely to cause problems down the road?
D. Something like an x300 with a K46 - probably new (see criteria below - namely I don't have confidence/knowledge to buy used).
E. A used x500 with low hundreds of hours, or a used x700 with high hundreds of hours. This seems to be the forum's favorite choice, but I don't have the patience/time/knowledge/experience to tinker, repair, or even evaluate it to be honest.

Criteria:
$5k is the tentative budget. I will do basic seasonal maintenance (filters, oil, draining gas) but will pretty much never repair it. It'll have to be trailered to a mechanic.

Along similar lines, buying a used tractor is tricky since I cannot evaluate it.

Thoughts? THANKS!
I'm really curious to hear others' perspectives on this situation. Huge thanks in advance for any thoughts you take the time to share!

Plant Plant community Window Tree Building
Plant Sky Plant community Cloud Ecoregion
Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Grass
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Grass

·
Registered
534 Posts
You are first going to have to consider the availability of any new machine. Pickings are sparse in my area. You may end up with little choice but to keep yours going for now.

I usually would say John Deere, but in your case perhaps the Husqvarna with the K66 might be the choice. I have read that the frames on them do not hold up when using front mounted attachments, but for mowing or towing it should be OK.

I, myself, would prefer the JD X570, but it will be about $2500 over your budget; and the last time I was at the dealer, there were only zero turns, one S240, and one X730 available.

Someone who knows Cub Cadets may be able to give you an appropriate choice to consider in that brand.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I bought a 2015 JD X590 from a dealer that had 415 hours on it. This was about 2 years ago. I was looking for a 590 to get fuel injection. I got a really good deal on it and have been very happy with the mower. I am partial toward JD so that's what I would look for. Buying used just takes some time and determination. I would fix the E140 and use it until you can find a machine that will handle your terrain over the long haul. The locking differential would be nice on your hills. Just my opinion.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buying used just takes some time and determination
Any tips for buying used when I have no idea what problems to look for? It would be devastating to buy a used tractor near the top of my budget only to find out it has a major repair right around the corner.

You are first going to have to consider the availability of any new machine
That's a really interesting point. When I started my cursory searches I noticed pretty much everyone was out of stock (except MowersDirect, which has some pretty bad reviews). I just assumed it was because of end-of-season, but it sounds like it may be a broader shortage.

Luckily we can wait until some time in the spring or summer if needed, and are going to have a lawn service come out in the interim.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Knowing where you are might help finding/suggesting where to look.

Reputation and experience of more than one person goes a long way in getting something that will be a pleasant experience.

I’ve found lower hr machines have less problems, but no guarantees unless the machine is still under warranty, but that comes at a price. It took me looking for a long time before I realized my target $$$ was too low to get a Good machine. Then I had to come to grips with actually spending that much. What I found will likely out live me and be enjoyable owning it the whole time. I also started finding other things that became easier for me to do using it (like spreading fertilizer, picking up leaves, now thatching). Keep things in perspective. Will cheaper machines do the same jobs? Yes, but how much pain or frustration will it give me. Perhaps it was my age that was adjusting my perspective.

My son’s experience as an example. Craftsman DLT2000 to Deere X730. Both mowed the same lawn. Both wouled snow blow the long gravel driveway.
- Swapping from mowing to snow blowing
Craftsman - 1-2 hrs, frustrating; X730 - 10 minutes, little frustration
- Time mowing or snow blowing
X730 about 1/2 the time with the Craftsman

Does the Craftsman still do either task? Yes

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
534 Posts
Oooh! Check out Roeder Power equipment in Dubuque Iowa. Several members have purchased from them and had machines shipped around the country.
You are pretty close, so shipping should be relatively cheap.
They get a lot of very nice low hour used trade ins.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The reason I asked the same thing was I found an X590 that is a reasonable choice, but not if it has to be shipped.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Roeder has a 2017 X580 with 194 hours listed for $5200. I can't imagine shipping 200 miles would cost too much.
With an acre to care for, that one should last you a looooong time. No worries about your hills with that one.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Roeder has a 2017 X580 with 194 hours listed for $5200. I can't imagine shipping 200 miles would cost too much.
With an acre to care for, that one should last you a looooong time. No worries about your hills with that one.
500 miles to Cadillac, MI was $800 for an X738 with deck and snowblower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips!

Any advice (from you or anyone) on what to look for on a tractor with 200hrs? I want to be reasonably sure that there are no major repairs coming up soon.

Understandable if that's not an option for somebody with limited knowledge, which is why I was also seriously considering the new Husq. and just accepting the premium for new.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
So 200 miles would put you mid Illinois, Mid Southern Wisconsin, or mid Iowa? A 200 hr machine from Roeder Outdoor Power will normally have had all the fluids and filters changed as well as new or sharpened blades, but it doesn’t say it in their listing, so you should ask. Otherwise their machines are ready to run on delivery. They use Mayflower Movers for delivery to your door.

Things I don’t care for on this unit are the rear bar tires and the Accel Deep deck. I would prefer turf tires and I like how the HD decks cut. The HD aren’t available on the X580.

For reference new price is $8099 MSRP and any attachments will have the same warranty period as the tractor.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
I know the Husqs seem attractive, but I have read a lot of negative feedback about them...if you dig through the past posts on this forum, you will see the problems......I would ask the mechanic if he still has your old carb and if he does...rebuild it or have it rebuilt ...I would not ditch that tractor over a "possible" carb problem....it could have been simply a loose carb to begin with, allowing a leak at the manifold. Where are you located?...some areas of the country have better availability of used stuff on Face Book Market ( I would avoid Craigs list ) ...as you are a new member you will not be able to contact any possible sellers from this site until you have 15 posts and 15 days as a member on this site...It sounds like the little tractor has served you well...and at only 3 years old I have to imagine that the correct carb is available if you try Propartsdirect, Jackssmallegines, or Repairclinic.....or Carbresscue.com for a rebuild ......there are a few other places also that may have it..if you go looking for used...check this video

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
.I would not ditch that tractor over a "possible" carb problem
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. To be clear though my concern over this lawn tractor is that transmission is going to burn up on these hills.

That's something I didn't consider when I bought it. So my current thinking is that I'd rather sell it for $1700 now rather than $200 in 1-2 years when it's toast. And instead invest in a tractor that'll last 20 years.

Edit: thanks for the video by the way. I'm checking it out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the ag tires either, but no big deal unless you want to use it in the snow. The diff lock is big plus if you mow when it is damp. The accel deck cuts well where I use it. I can see where there might be a difference in a manicured lawn, vs making tall grass short. I don't think you will notice a big difference from what you have now, judging by your pictures.
If perfection of cut is more important, look at Simplicity. They use ground following decks vs the suspended ones everybody else uses.
From their reputation, machines from Roeder are ready to go. Someone with personal experience may chime in on that.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
I hope you don't find this upsetting, but I don't think you would get that much for that tractor...others please chime in and let us know if I am wrong....I have a Simplicity for mowing my lawn...it would make look your lawn look incredible...the ground following deck makes nice lines in the grass
Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot Grass

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hope you don't find this upsetting, but I don't think you would get that much for that tractor..
Yeah that may be on the high end, but it has a bagger and low hours. We'll see... But the point is selling now with a working transmission seems like a better idea than waiting for it to burn up and getting closer to nothing

1 - 20 of 34 Posts