My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
please help me all of the sudden my 1886 hydrostatic will not move foward, yet backs up very well. i played with the adjustment rod yet nothing changes. The problem is not
adjustment, it is something in the hydro.......Then in XXXXXXX move o mine, I grabbed my tools to look into adding some hydraulic fluid and looked right above the dipstick there is a
bolt so i said hmm what is this for? cranked some torque on it until it snapped! XXXXXXX great!!! Does anyone know what that might be for? I was way to mad to go any further so i calmed down and went to my mtf forum for some help.:thanku:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Maybe it was low on fluid? I don't know what the bolt you referred to was for. If your lucky, it isn't anything important.

·
Registered
829 Posts
It's the bolt that holds the hydro pump in.You will need to remove the pump to fix.To remove the pump you will need to remove the oil filter and take the fitting that the filter screws onto out.Then you will need to remove the brake assembly and unbolt the the housing that the brake disk is on and remove.Also take the plate on the top of the rearend off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the bolt that holds the hydro pump in.You will need to remove the pump to fix.To remove the pump you will need to remove the oil filter and take the fitting that the filter screws onto out.Then you will need to remove the brake assembly and unbolt the the housing that the brake disk is on and remove.Also take the plate on the top of the rearend off.
thanks for the input..... i was sure it would be more than a 2 beer project. any suggestion on the lack of foward power? yet good strong reverse. also when you unscrew your dipstick does oil pour out of that hole all over?:trink39:

·
Registered
399 Posts
If it's an Eaton 12, I read in one of the service manuals that if you check the level while running at idle, it should be at the bottom of the threads. And it did state that if not running, fluid might run out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Sorry for your bad fortune. You you decide not to fix it I would be interested in buying it.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
There are some valves in the hydro specifically a check and also a spring. If the spring under the ball has snapped it will affect how the tractor moves if at all. I have the Eaton 12 manual and there are some great ideas from the Duff brothers as to how to take it apart and inspect these parts. If you can't download it from here let me know and I'll mail it to you. I've taken mine apart it just takes time.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/Eaton_12_Service_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are some valves in the hydro specifically a check and also a spring. If the spring under the ball has snapped it will affect how the tractor moves if at all. I have the Eaton 12 manual and there are some great ideas from the Duff brothers as to how to take it apart and inspect these parts. If you can't download it from here let me know and I'll mail it to you. I've taken mine apart it just takes time.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/Eaton_12_Service_Manual.pdf
Thanks for the info!!!! I have not started my investigation however with this manual it will certainly be a bit easier. looks like i may have a broken spring in that p-n-d spring ball system. Any ideas out there if this still might be available? or maybe you might know of a spring distributor that has every spring in the world. Thanks !!!!! al:fing32:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
It can be a lttle scary when you first start taking it apart but there are a few of us here that have been there and done it. Just go slow and understand everything as it comes apart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can be a lttle scary when you first start taking it apart but there are a few of us here that have been there and done it. Just go slow and understand everything as it comes apart.
yeah sometimes we can dread doing a project until we get in and realize its not so bad, and other times we think its a breeze and really hit a wall!! i have been taking things apart since i was a little boy its the reassembly that we all learn as we grow. i cant wait to dive into this project however my wife is going into labor for my second child as i sit here on mtf waiting for her word on going to the hospital. :trink39: :fing32:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You take care of your family first that tractor can wait.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Best of luck with the baby, enjoy the family and have fun with the tractors on the side. A few of us have taken apart the hydro, as deerlope says just take your time and understand what you are doing. Take pictures as you go so that you can use it for reference when putting it back together.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
A good clean work area is a must. Be very careful that you don't loose the little charge pump drive pin. I almost did.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright all is well with my family !! on to the tractor, I took the rear end apart to see if that spring was broken. It was NOT so now im back to square one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again reverse is awesome and foward sucks. It feels like the brake is applied yet i do not even have the brake assembly and rotor on the tractor

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What is in there for fluid? Is it low on fluid? It may just be that the hydro is on it's way out.

Jason

EDIT: I just noticed where you mentioned that the oil runs out when you remove the fill plug, so it is full. Sorry I didn't notice that before.

·
5,523 Posts
From what you are saying you may just need to adjust the pedal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what you are saying you may just need to adjust the pedal.
how many ways can you adjust the pedal? I see the big threaded rod that comes back. any other? the guy i bought this from said he had made the reverse faster ( for more backblade power) . it defineatly does reverse twice as fast as foward. how do i change this? maybe that is my whole problem, however it has been fine for quite awhile now.:banghead3

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update!!!!! Ok I beleive that my forward problem is fixed :praying: I investigated and did not see the keyway when i pulled everything apart on the linkage from the pedal to the diff. i must have sheared it or it has not been there the time i have owned this tractor. so now im just back to investigating how to adjust the differant speeds (for/back). I really like how much power i have to backblade with the bucket down and the front end up in the air, but i wouldnt mind knowing how to change it back. The long big rod coming from the pedal is not it, all that adjustment is just letting me change the position my foot uses the pedal. Please post some pictures of your 1886's from differant angles so i can match up to mine or maybe someone has a service manual with a breakdown you can post Thanks!!!!!!!!!! al

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If nobody has posted pics by the time I get back I will post some. The video I mentioned in your other thread is pretty much useless for what you need.

Jason

1 - 20 of 30 Posts