My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realized the mistake after it would keep stalling after 10seconds and went and saw the can it was recently filled from. Can someone point me to tutorial for draining, purging, cleaning fuel tank and what else I need to do to prevent permanent damage? Fuel filter, what else?
Thanks! Feeling like a bozo at the moment!

·
Registered
380 Posts
No direct personal experience with this, but yes you need to do all of those things. The closest I have come to this was when I had a gas can that must have gotten a lot of water in it. I had to drain all of the fuel out of the tank and then replace the filter and I hoped for the best. It turned out okay with no damage, but I did get lucky and noticed the issue right away and fixed it quickly.

For gas instead of diesel, you could be okay if you didn't run it for long. But, there could be issues from the easier detonation of gas vs diesel and the fact that gas doesn't lubricate at all, while diesel does. It is usually an expensive mistake, but you might be luck to not have run it too long.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I was told it gets in the injection pump and it stops pumping as the viscosity is too low for sealing the pistons.

Blow out all the tubes, drain everything you can drain, put diesel in it and go.

My old neighbor came to me in a panic, he'd put WATER in his fuel tank.
Well I spent 4 hours cleaning it all out, running new fuel through, and we got it running again.
He insisted on paying me $12.
Salt of the earth type, love the guy. 80 years old and if you hit him, you'll hurt your hand.

·
2,419 Posts
I'm with Mark... if any damage has been done it's been done already. Drain and blow it out the best you can, change the fuel filter, fill and bleed some fresh diesel in and see.

Those Yanmars are tough... I'd be very surprised if you actually killed it.

Fingers crossed, let us know. 🍻

·
Premium Member
7,668 Posts
Only possible long term damage may be shortening the time before the injection pump needs to be rebuilt. You basically washed all of the lubricant out from the inside of the pump if 100% gasoline was going through there. If it was a mixture of diesel and gasoline then it wouldn't be as bad, depending on the ratio.

·
4,136 Posts
I am sorry to let you know that you have destroyed that machine...so just put it out at your curb for the garbage man...and I know you don't want if just laying around until then...so if you post your address I will provide the courtesy of coming and hauling it away for you 😁
In case you can't tell..I was just kidding....I agree with Mr. Redneck and don't feel like a Bozo..I knew a guy a long time ago that had a vehicle that used High Test...and at that time not many stations sold diesel fuel around where we live ...so he just put the most expensive stuff in...well, he went traveling in an area where stations did sell #2 fuel..and it was the highest price stuff...without looking he filled up with that..no damage...just a pain draining and disposing of all that fuel...now I think that the nozzles are sized so that you can't do that anymore....this is also a good reminder why it is really important to have containers properly color coded and labled

·
15,000 +posts!
19,916 Posts
My old '86 VW Jetta diesel had a paragraph in it's owners manual stating you could add up to a gallon of gas to a full tank of diesel (it held 14 gallons),to aid in cold winter starts and prevent fuel jelling in extreme cold conditions,if no additives were available..
I never tried it--but I've been tempted to on my 6.2 diesel GMC that hates to start below 15 * F ..

If you only put on a small amount and the fuel tank still had diesel in it,and you didn't start & run it ,you might get away with just siphoning the tank out and add pure diesel till its full--maybe a dash of motor oil too,to lube the injector pump..then you wont have to bleed the fuel system,which can be a pain often..

I've had guys who own diesel pickups tell me stories how their wives or kids topped off the fuel tank with gasoline and didn't realize their mistake,and it did no real harm--one guy where my brother works driving a company pickup with a diesel accidentally filled it from half full with gas in NH,fearing he wasn't going to have enough fuel to make it back--he realized a few miles later what he'd done,and he told my brother,their fleet mechanic,what he'd done--he asked him "did it seem to run bad"--he replied "No,if anything it seemed better,it had more power!..my brother just refilled the tank with diesel and added a quart of sae 30 oil,and the truck never showed any ill effects ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and anecdotal advice! Just picked up a new fuel filter and siphon pump and will report back with my results. I appreciate everyone taking the time help. Warmly, OBC.

·
Parts collector
3,332 Posts
When you change the filter out make sure you fill the bowl with diesel fuel and a lubricant additive 75/25. 25% lubricant, and 75% diesel. This way you will replace the gas washed injector parts "oil" film as soon as the new stuff gets in there.
You should not have any problems after you get it bled out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone, thanks again for your help, I'm not done yet but here's a little update. It was a harder than I thought to empty the tank but it worked needing another set of hands and some hand gymnastics to get the intake tube towards the bottom of the tank. I then used the siphon pump and a double ended hose barb to clear out the fuel lines coming and going to the fuel filter. I then manually purged the injector pump with that little handle about 50 times to get the rest of the fuel out. I bought a new filter and got some fresh diesel. Just waiting for the lubricant additive recommended above, then I'll fill and fire it back up. I'll let you know when it runs! Thanks

·
2,419 Posts
I always forget too... DYMO label maker FTW. Pretty cheap and some of the label materials (there's various) really stick.
Plus you can print out cable wraps, wiring loom stuff... very handy.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,362 Posts
Blue and yellow have flip flopped a couple times over the years. I've got a yellow steel can from the 70s (I think) and a blue can from maybe the 90s or early 2000s that I believe both say kerosene. I have a yellow Justrite can that says diesel I think from the 2000s, and a blue poly can from the late 2000s maybe that says diesel. I just have diesel in all of them.

·
4,136 Posts
Bottom line is kerosene in your diesel is better then gas.
Although kero (#1) will burn in a #2 application ( oil burner) ...it is kind of dry comparatively and does not have the lubricating qualities as #2 diesel fuel...the only difference here in NY between #2 heating oil and #2 fuel oil it that fuel for heat is dyed red....if that is found in a diesel road vehicle it is serious offense as there are all kinds of taxes on the diesel application

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Success! After needing to charge the battery overnight, and about 4 or 5 very shaky, billowing, rough starts and stalls, it finally caught and is purring along. Ran it for about 30 minutes at half throttle, and tackled the tall grass for about 5 hours in the past two days. The tank cap has embossed John Deere logo and a fuel pump icon, but the Diesel lettering was flat and was faded and worn off. I think that's the first thing I'll fix. Thanks for all your help, I will now start another thread about how to fix this cursed parking brake that loves to get stuck in the down locked position. Rumor is I'm not alone with that either. Cheers-OBC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts