My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here -- hope someone can help me out with a problem I'm trying to solve.

My sister has a Cub Cadet riding mower that is about 4 years old. She mows roughly an acre (less some gardens and flower beds).

Unfortunately, it has been nothing but one problem after another since she bought it. It's probably been back for service a dozen times. Most of it was covered under the original warranty. That is now up, so I'm trying to save her some money and figure it out myself if possible.

I believe that is a model 2166 (I lost the piece of paper I had it written on -- will have to go back over to her house and check the manual again).

Anyway, when the PTO is engaged (this model just has a small button on the console to do this, not a lever), the blades are turning extremely slowly. I think this is a problem either with the belts, although they don't seem loose, or with the PTO mechanism. The blades don't make much noise at all when turning, and they go so slowly they do NOT cut. All of the pulleys turn freely, etc., so I don't think that's the problem, and I greased them to be sure.

Any thoughts? THANKS!

Dennis
SE Michigan

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Denninmi welcome to MTF...pretty sure your mower is the baby brother of mine.

Sounds like the PTO belt is loose to me...when it's running and your dismounted off to the side can you see a lot of play in it? If so tighten the belt up.

If that's not it take a look at the PTO off the front of the engine...is it running slow or faster than the belt? btw you'll have to take that alum heat shield off first.

If slow it's the PTO electric clutch on the right side of the drive wheel. If it's running faster then go back and tighten the belt some more.

While you're at it take the pulley covers off the deck...clean them out and make sure the spring on the idler pulley isn't broke.

I'd start there then get back here and give us the skinny.

·
Registered
245 Posts
tension spring on deck is missing or off.or pto belt tension lever is not pushed in all the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts