My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the pto wont disingage on my 812 i just bought it has been siitin fot 3 years is there any thing i can try to fix it before i have to tear the the transmition apart

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Start by just checking your shifter linkage - after sitting for several years, there's a chance that could've bound up. Grab a few cans of lubricant and soak those areas well, while continuing to work the linkage. If you're able to recruit a helper, they can work the controls from the operator's position and you can visually observe what's moving/not moving from under the machine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its moving and its free it just seems to not disingage in side i even theink the arm on the side of the tranny cash is moving corectly

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the pto clutches wont release would time help or time to tear apart

·
Banned
131 Posts
Would you clarify, not sure what you're saying "i even theink the arm on the side of the tranny cash is moving corectly"? A Gravely 812 PTO control "arm" is NOT "on the side of the tranny". Its on the top.

Can we presume you're using belly mower?

the pto wont disingage on my 812 i just bought it has been siitin fot 3 years

its moving and its free it just seems to not disingage in side i even theink the arm on the side of the tranny cash is moving corectly
When these have "been siitin fot 3 years" its possible the PTO clutch is just stuck, especially if it was left to sit engaged. I presume you've checked the tranny oil & replaced it if there was any doubt about its condition? If the oil looked good & there was no sign of water/contamination/rust inside try running the mower in high grass w/PTO lever disengaged. Very often the combination of strain, heat & vibration is all it takes to 'pop' the clutch cone free. Be patient, it can take a while, even more than a single warm up cycle. Check the adjustment as well, you must have the specified free play & avoid allowing the lever to press against it's gate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your help the pto finally disingaged from mowing tall grass after to times i ran it then let it cool and mower some more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts