My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. what am I missing? I have a 445 tractor and just mounted my new (to me) quick hitch and 54” blade. When I fire up the tractor I can’t seem to get the lower hydraulic lever to move backwards or forwards, the upper one works fine. So the blade goes up and down but I can’t make it angle because the lower lever seems like it’s locked in position. The tractor is somewhat new to me so I’m wondering if it may be locked in position for some reason.

I figured one of you might know or have an idea what’s going on here.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Whaler

·
Registered
498 Posts
Because the lower one does not get used often it sometime if "freeze". Might want to check if it is in the Float mode (that is locked all the way forward)

Now you also said that your top leaver controls that up/down your bottom leaver should control that because it controls the float mode. Looking at your hydro couplers form left to right you top row should be your angle cyl. and the bottom row should be your lift cyl.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2001gagt thanks for they reply. I'll check to see if the lever may be in the float position. If it's not in float is there an easy way to "un-freeze" it?

Thanks for giving me the correct way to hook this up; I'll change the lines around to make the lower lever control the lift.

Thanks,

Whaler

·
Registered
543 Posts
Whaler, I had the same problem on my 425 when I put my 47 blower on it. My 425 was only used for mowing and it had no quick connect couplers on it. I installed couplers to hook up my new snowblower. The top lever which controls the lift and lower of the mower deck is the only one that got used so the bottom lever was never used. The bottom lever will freeze up or rust in place from non-use. You'll have to crawl under the tractor, find the lever that goes to the selective control valve were the couplers are. Spray some type of penetrating oil on the bottom lever and pry it in and out with something solid like a piece of steel rod or a stiff screwdriver. It takes some effort but it will come out. Move it back and forth with the lever on the dash and spray it with a good lubricant and it will work loose. Good luck......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funnydirt14 - Thank You! I figured it was something like that. Sounds like a good project for next weekend! I'll let you know what I find.

Regards,

Whaler

·
Registered
340 Posts
Whaler, I had the same problem on my 425 when I put my 47 blower on it. My 425 was only used for mowing and it had no quick connect couplers on it. I installed couplers to hook up my new snowblower. The top lever which controls the lift and lower of the mower deck is the only one that got used so the bottom lever was never used. The bottom lever will freeze up or rust in place from non-use. You'll have to crawl under the tractor, find the lever that goes to the selective control valve were the couplers are. Spray some type of penetrating oil on the bottom lever and pry it in and out with something solid like a piece of steel rod or a stiff screwdriver. It takes some effort but it will come out. Move it back and forth with the lever on the dash and spray it with a good lubricant and it will work loose. Good luck......
He has the answer for you. Mine was stuck like yours. Put some PB Blaster on it, let it sit overnight, and try to move it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am trying to hook up a new to me quick hitch and 47 snowblower to my JD 445. The owner's manual states...

Using Hydraulic Control Levers
Using Hydraulic Valve
NOTE: Only tractors equipped with the optional front hitch or loader will be equipped with a hydraulic valve.

Hydraulic control levers operate differently depending on the attachment. When using an attachment other than a mower deck, please see the ATTACHMENT OPERATOR'S MANUAL.

M55415

· When operating mower deck or rear implement lift - turn T-handle (A) counterclockwise until tight.

· When operating front hitch/attachments - turn T-handle (A) clockwise until it is bottomed out.

It shows a picture of a T-handle. Mine does not have this. Is this something I have to order to use my quick hitch?

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
I am trying to hook up a new to me quick hitch and 47 snowblower to my JD 445. The owner's manual states...

Using Hydraulic Control Levers
Using Hydraulic Valve
NOTE: Only tractors equipped with the optional front hitch or loader will be equipped with a hydraulic valve.

Hydraulic control levers operate differently depending on the attachment. When using an attachment other than a mower deck, please see the ATTACHMENT OPERATOR'S MANUAL.

M55415

· When operating mower deck or rear implement lift - turn T-handle (A) counterclockwise until tight.

· When operating front hitch/attachments - turn T-handle (A) clockwise until it is bottomed out.

It shows a picture of a T-handle. Mine does not have this. Is this something I have to order to use my quick hitch?
Technically, you don't have to have it; however, it will make the left/right motion of the quick hitch smoother/faster (in your case, the left/right motion of the blower chute).

I'd recommend this 1/4 turn version instead of the one from Deere that takes several turns to open/close.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry, I should clarify. I'm trying to hook this up, but the bottom 2 hydraulics do not function at all. This is where I need to hook the quick hitch into - the top 2 are working fine. I heard that the T-handle needs to be used to direct the hydraulic flow from the mower deck arms to the front quick hitch. I don't have a T-Handle at all. Is there some way I can make the quick hitch elevation hydro's work without this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I guess I read this thread wrong. Thanks Harryc and Diesel! I'll try to find this control valve and do the PB blaster thing recommended above :)

·
lexmark
944 Posts
Mine was froze when i got it too they are talking about the 2 rods that go into the back of the valve bank its on the back side of where your hooking up your hydraulic hoses you have to actually crawl under the tractor to get to them spray them down good with some kind of lube i had to take a block of wood and a hammer and tap mine a few times just need to move it a bit then work the lever should free right up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reviving an old thread - I think this must be my problem. Just got my 425 last fall and mowed a few times. Used it for snow. Now mowed a couple times in the spring and the deck won't raise or lower. I'm reading the above thread. I don't have a T valve. Where specifically am I suppose to block wood and hammer? Not sure where this lever is I'm suppose to attack.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Reviving an old thread - I think this must be my problem. Just got my 425 last fall and mowed a few times. Used it for snow. Now mowed a couple times in the spring and the deck won't raise or lower. I'm reading the above thread. I don't have a T valve. Where specifically am I suppose to block wood and hammer? Not sure where this lever is I'm suppose to attack.
The hydraulic lockout valve is likely closed. Under the footboard, behind the hydraulic couplers, is where the valve is located.

The tractor does not come with the lockout valve, but is typically added when utilizing the rockshaft hydraulic (deck lift/lower) with the couplers, such as the snow thrower chute rotation. Without the lockout valve, bot the chute rotation and rockshaft cylinders would be fed simultaneously, making for no or very slow movement until the cylinder with the least resistance reaches the end of it's travel. The lockout valve shuts off hydraulic flow to the rockshaft cylinder so the snow thrower chute rotation responds quickly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just read the rest of the thread. I'm assuming you're calling the lockout valve the "T-valve"? If so, look at the rear of the tractor, the tube running between the end of the frame rails is the rockshaft. Is it turning and the mower lift lever is activated each way?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts