My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I hose off my 345 once a year before putting the blade or thrower on for winter. I always blow all grass, leaves, etc off each time after mowing but don't wash it.

Well, yesterday I had it running while I hosed mainly the frame, wheels etc. but did hit it with water on the right side on engine as you sit on it,no problem. Moved over to the left side and when I moved the water stream up to the side of the engine it immediately quit. Figured I got something wet. Pushed it back in the basement took an air hose and blew every thing off of it. Its a dry basement, heat pump sucking all the moisture out of the house helps. Tried it this morning and it still won't even try to fire.

Could it be the coil? If one is shorted will it keep the other from firing? Both fuses appear fine.

Ideas appreciated!

Thanks Dave

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Wow. Usually I have heard this process is safe if the engine is warm, running and it's kept running for a bit afterwards to dry things out. our the FIRST person I have heard who had their tractor quit while hosing off.
I've done this to every tractor I have ever owned with no probs!

One thing you did not mention: Was the engine warm?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was warm but not hot. I never do this wash of on a hot,hot engine just in case it does something like it did. Shock cooling is not good for anything.

dave

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Home boy,
It that the coil you are referring to? If so, would not the right side try to fire even if left is dead?
dave

BTW, That's right where the hose stream was when it quit dead. Didn't even try to continue running.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Check all the basics as well. You didn't run out of fuel coincidentally at the same time, did you?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did siphon most of the gas out to take it in the basement for the transformation to snow duty. I will really feel stupid if that's the problem. I would have thought it would have spit or sputtered a few times before shutting down. It just shut right off.

Stay tuned, I'll check it when I get home tonight.

If that's it, I'll report of course, but man will I feel STUPID! Didn't somebody just post a thread about dumb questions on here. Guess I might be one of the people he's was talking about........:banghead3

Dave

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts

I did siphon most of the gas out to take it in the basement for the transformation to snow duty. I will really feel stupid if that's the problem. I would have thought it would have spit or sputtered a few times before shutting down. It just shut right off.

If that's it, I'll report of course, but man will I feel STUPID! Didn't somebody just post a thread about dumb questions on here. Guess I might be one of the people he's was talking about........:banghead3

Dave
Being new to Green I have the dumb questions covered!:fing32:
Being out of gas will be funny for sure, but it happens to most of us at one time or another.:trink40:

·
-
1,839 Posts
Don't feel bad if that's the issue. I run mine out of gas just like you do - I've forgotten and left the key turned to "on" a couple of times.

·
Murph
1,955 Posts

Dave
:ROF Look at it this way, putting gas in it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Try checking the lower fuse on the panel on the right side of the engine. I had one blow from washing the tractor just as you have stated. The lower fuse continued to blow after replacing and I found that it was water that shorted out the circuit and I needed to replace the circuuit panel.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WELL, to all my friends here a MTF. :sorry1:

I have found the problem with my beloved 345. The stupid owner/operator forgot he siphoned the fuel out. Its amazing how well these Kawasaki's run when they have gas in them.

Really appreciate all the responses received about my NON-ISSUE!!!! I know we all do stuff like this, done it many times before and I'm sure at 57 yrs old I will be doing it alot more in the future so stay tuned.

As time goes on I'm sure to get more humorous in my actions..........

Thanks guys!!:thanku:
dave

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts

Dave
This isn't even close to what he was referring to ! and why it was so bad because now everyone thinks his or her question is stupid.
A tractor that stops running, for any reason, is not stupid, it's scary. and the brain goes into "panic" not "logic" mode .:fing32:
And at least here at the JD Forum before we tease, we solve the problem ( any and all) problems first.
I truly think you won't find an exception on any previous thread. END:1106:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Absolutely agree Katt, I went into "what did I just do and how do I undo it" mode.

The thread about dumb questions really was not in everyones best interest here. I've learned so much on this site about our JD's. Happy to have helped some folks along the way too. AND I will continue to ask dumb questions......

Dave

Wonder what else I can do this week to entertain the troops here......?:fing20:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Glad you got your tractor going and it was an easy fix. Yes, the members on MTF are great for helping out with problems big and small. I ran my 345 out of fuel this fall while bagging leaves. It is harder to visually see the fuel tank with the bagger on and the tractor just stopped right away with no sputtering at all. But, first thing I thought of was gas as I had ran the tractor for a very long time without filling up so it was the first thing that I thought of.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have found the problem with my beloved 345. The stupid owner/operator forgot he siphoned the fuel out.
Ever read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? =)

The problem wasn't "why did the tractor quit running when it got wet?", it was "why did the tractor quit running?". Subtle difference, but an important one. I use the thinking I learned in that book and it's saved me a lot of headaches in troubleshooting...

Snippet from the book is here -- "DeLoreanized" for my purposes at the time. Replace "DeLorean" with "tractor" and it all still fits.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FL,

Lots to absorb in that "snippet". I'll need to come back to that later after my 2nd cup of coffee.......:00000060:

Thanks!
Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.