My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i went and looked at two tractors tonight, the guy has a 102 that is in nice shape, it smoked a little on startup. i really like the look of this tractor. BUT he also had a 129 hydro that was in pretty good shape every thing worked there was a little tick in the motor he said he would adjust the rings for me he was asking 450 for either one. basically i am looking for a tractor to mow my lawn and that is about it. which one would you guys pick????? oh yeah the hydro comes with a tiller and a 1 stage snow blower
PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
550 Posts
If it wasn't for the snow thrower and tiller that go along with the 129 I'd definitely pick the 102 just because I like the looks of them. But with the added two pieces of equipment I'd get the 129.
As long as you're not all the way over by Providence you could sell me the tiller and blower.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Heh, I think your interest in one/both of those tractors sent him "underground" until he makes his purchase... he might be new but he apparently ain't that gullible!:fing02:

·
Registered
79 Posts
put some new ones in? If not there is no adjusting the rings and the rings should have been checked before the motor was put back together. Hope I'm wrong but that would make me just a little suspicious.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
put some new ones in? If not there is no adjusting the rings and the rings should have been checked before the motor was put back together. Hope I'm wrong but that would make me just a little suspicious.
yeah me too; but I don't see anything in the OP that says anything about the engine having been apart--recently or otherwise; sure he didnt say adjust the VALVES?? I have also seen these Kohler engines "tick" or "knock" with carbon buildup on the head.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah me too; but I don't see anything in the OP that says anything about the engine having been apart--recently or otherwise; sure he didnt say adjust the VALVES?? I have also seen these Kohler engines "tick" or "knock" with carbon buildup on the head.[/QUO

I am sorry guys, you are right he said adjust the valves, i am new to tractors sorry for the mistake. the 129 seems like it has had a harder life than the 102. plus the attachements for the 129 were not in that gret of shape i did not think. still trying to decide

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Paul,
I have a LTX1045 which many have labeled as a glorified lawnmower, BUT that thing will dig itself into the ground before it quits pulling. So in the end if the tractors are in good shape mechanically then you won't go wrong with either. As for valves if they are out of adjustment they can cause a tapping noise. As long as that noise is coming from the heads and not the crankcase you should be good.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Are you CRAZY??? Buy them BOTH!!! You can part out or sell whole the snow blower and tiller and get 450 of your dollars back... Then you have a 102 that you paid $450.00 for and a 129 that you got for FREE.

Unless it's REALLY nice, $450.00 for a 102 is a little high in my opinion, but that also depends on the goodies it comes with (Headlights, Hydraulics, 3 point, spring assist).

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Don't expect the valves to be adjusted when you go back. I'd look at the head bolts pretty close.

I don't know either, the 102 has 2 hp less and no hydro. The 129 sounds in worse shape. I'll guarantee that fiberglass dash is cobbled up where the hood hits the fiberglass lip.
If either has the implement lift that would do it for me. Though I'm not sure I'd pay that price. If you want it for mowing, I'd take the 129 if the deck is good (not noisy) The hydro is better for mowing or tilling. The tillers actually bring half that or more around here so I'd come closer to jumping on the 129.
Yeah, I do like the looks of the 102 more and the steel dash, and seperate fenders.

If the 102 has the creeper gear or the headlights, those are both pretty valuable options. Smoke on startup doesn't bother me, but smelling like burnt oil and tons of oil sludge buildup do. knocking would kill the deal so fast your head would spin.

Both would have to be in good shape for ME to part with $450.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts