My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
put it in the mud
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone list some of the reasons why a motor wont crank at all i bought a new solinoid and still nothing i need to now do some trial and error
thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can you Turn your Engine Over by Hand ? Pull the Spark plug wire Off before you Try so it doesn`t start on you,by accident.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check your Starter, Like what I did in the First Couple minutes of this video. I put the Positive Jumper on the Starter Terminal ,and then Touch the Ground cable to the Starter Frame to make the Circuit ..That way you don`t arc out and Burn your Threaded Terminal.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your Engine won`t Crank if:

The Ground Circuit is no Good.

The Carb has Flooded, and Drained your entire Fuel tank into the engine.( Hydro Locked).

Ignition Switch is unplugged ,or the Terminals are not making a proper contact..

If the Starter wire on the Starter is Connected to the wrong terminal.

Check those sort of things for the obvious.you probably have already done that.But Sometimes the littlest things can get overlooked

·
put it in the mud
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot im sure if i try those things she will turn

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
there is a safety switch at the parking brake lock lever, under the tractor. If that isn't working, no crank.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Along with Stony`s Suggestion ,There`s also a Safety switch for the PTO.Check that switch too. If the wire is Broken Between either of those switches you won`t get power through that circuit to your solenoid.It`s most likely going to be something silly/Simple like that..Battery has a Charge, etc. Do you have a Test Light ? That will go a long way in Helping to figure this problem out Quickly.. If you don`t have 1,, Make one up with a 12v.Light Bulb from a Car with a Couple wires Soldered to it.That way you can Actually "see" Where the Problem is by Probing along the Circuit till you Stumble into the Problem.. Right now, We`re just Guessing. And we can keep Guessing for a LONG time..

·
put it in the mud
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup stony your right the parking brake saftey switch is missing do you know where i could get a new one?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
not off hand I don't. Mine was bypassed when I aquired my free 990. I left it that way. I bet Blacksmithman knows where to get one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts