My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a real human typing this in. My husband has left town for a while and is currently somewhere near the Aleutians. He will be gone until the end of August. He left me with vague instructions as to how to run our lawn tractor, but neither I nor my neighbors can get it going. Will post on the John Deere forum.

Have just bought a new battery, which all local pros think I need, but I also need a user manual. Or advice from users. With all our rain, the grass is very tall and the neighbors are grumbling. :)

How great that this website exists! You must have some very dedicated posters!

Linda from Minnesota

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help Should get some answers now!

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Welcome aboard Linda.

We need to know the Make/Model of the equipment in order to help reference any manuals that may be on line.

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
Not sure what you have for a tractor but some general points. 1. Make sure there is gas in the mower. 2. By law, there are many safety features on these machines. For example, you have to be sitting on the seat to start it. Many tractors require that the brake pedal be pressed down before it will start.
3. You would then turn the key to start. If it turns over, that indicates that the safety features are all in the correct position. 4. Depending on the age of the mower, you might have a choke which is required to start an cold engine. It would be labeled on the panel. It would need to be pulled partially out before you try to start. Once started, it needs to be pushed back in as the engine warms up. 5. You then need to figure out how to engage the mower deck. It might be a switch or button on the dash or a lever somewhere else on the machine. Again, it should be labeled. 6. You would then need to figure out how to make the tractor move. It would either be a manual clutched drive or a hydrostatic with a lever or foot pedal.

·
Banned
587 Posts
I am a real human typing this in. My husband has left town for a while and is currently somewhere near the Aleutians. He will be gone until the end of August. He left me with vague instructions as to how to run our lawn tractor, but neither I nor my neighbors can get it going. Will post on the John Deere forum.

Have just bought a new battery, which all local pros think I need, but I also need a user manual. Or advice from users. With all our rain, the grass is very tall and the neighbors are grumbling. :)

How great that this website exists! You must have some very dedicated posters!

Linda from Minnesota

Welcome to the JD Hut, Linda. If the tractor doesn't start, there's two things to remember. It's either the gas or spark for the problem.
We will eliminate the human error at this time.

BTW. Have two sons living in Minnesota. Lino Lakes and Buffalo.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Welcome from to the forum, hopefully we can help. Its probably something simple.

·
Super Moderator
32,704 Posts
Linda, first welcome to the forum! You should find all the help you need here! Some quick questions for you so the right folks can get involved answering your questions:

1. What model is it?
2. What is the serial number? Can normally be found just below the steering wheel on the dash tower. JD like many other manufacturers had differences in there models over production so it helps to know when it was made.
3. Did your husband complain about any problems with it before he left? If so do you remember the specifics?

That should help us answer your questions! Best of luck and again, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to meet and read all of you. I have posted at this place on the forum...

Backyard Round Table Lawn and Garden Tractor General Discussion Board

My lawn tractor is a Model T0011 John Deere 112 early 1970s.

Please do not post further here. I will not read it here. --L

·
Registered
221 Posts
Linda,

Welcome to the forum.:MTF_wel:

Where in MN? I know there are a few of us "up nort here."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, hello guys and gals...I find that pixies have moved my query here. Ignore the "do not post" message above.

I'll put a new message after this.

L. (trying to understand the Board, please be patient.)

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
We;re just trying to help you get into the right place to get an answer rather than having you wonder about where you should be posting, Linda.

Anyway, on the 112 you have a Variator lever in addition to the clutch and gear shift. The variator allows you to change ground speed within a gear.

So, let's run through this.

You are seated on the tractor.

Parking brake is set?

You start the engine successfully.

You depress the clutch, release the parking brake, and shift into gear, and release the clutch?

You don't move?

You move the variator lever and still don't move?

It's possible a belt has slipped off.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Linda, sorry to hear of the issues you are having, the folks will try to help you through it here so you can get this going again :).

·
Super Moderator
32,704 Posts
Linda, now that we know the model we can start getting to the bottom of it. Does the engine turn over when you turn the key? You stated that you were getting a new battery so I'm assuming it didn't. Did replacing the battery allow it to turn over? Did the engine try to start? The 112 (depending on serial number) has a gravity feed fuel tank with a valve at the bottom (see picture) you must open the valve to let fuel flow to the engine. When done running it you need to turn it off. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
On my 112, the neutral start switch is kinda touchy. Yours may be the same issue. I have to push the shifter straight down hard to engage the switch before the engine will turn over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts