My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to forum, looking for information on a possible purchase. I'm thinking of buying a used Troy-Bilt (Bolens) GTX 20. I was just trying to get some information on the engine's useful life. Its has a Kohler Command 20 engine. Assuming it's been taken care of, and it looks as though it has. The hour meter has 539 hrs on it, how many more hours theoretically does this engine have? I know Kohler no longer makes this engine and there is a Honda Kit made to replace it.

Thanks,
Walter
Clarksburg, WV

·
Registered
829 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

The motor and tractor will last alot longer as long as it is maintained.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Welcome to MTF. I had a similar tractor with a Kohler engine (magnum 20). That tractor ran like new and it had close to 1200 Hours on it. I think that you will get to 1500 without major issue on that tractor.

Jason

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Welcome. Engines die ,but tractors keep on going.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Everyone, I'd read they were durable but a little concerned with Kohler no long making a replacement motor.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Honda, Briggs and Kohler are all good engines

·
Registered
194 Posts
Theirs still alot of small mower shops that have replacement parts for the kohler engines. There all pretty much rebuildable as long as the rod isn't hanging out the side.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hello All,

New to forum, looking for information on a possible purchase. I'm thinking of buying a used Troy-Bilt (Bolens) GTX 20. I was just trying to get some information on the engine's useful life. Its has a Kohler Command 20 engine. Assuming it's been taken care of, and it looks as though it has. The hour meter has 539 hrs on it, how many more hours theoretically does this engine have? I know Kohler no longer makes this engine and there is a Honda Kit made to replace it.

Thanks,
Walter
Clarksburg, WV
Walter,

Should you decide not to buy this tractor, Clarksburg is not too far for me to go after a good Bolens. I always know someone looking for this model. In fact, I could probably sell 2 or 3 of them if they were close and reasonably priced:fing32:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts