My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently end up getting a yard-man 21" rotary mower model 445. (Walk behind self propelled) and lately been having problems with cutting long grass. It seems like with the bag on I can't do a thing against long grass without it stalling, and it's barely long. It has no shooter on either side just where the bag goes. What can I do? Take the bag off but where will grass come out? o.0

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Murther, good to have you here with us and thanks for the intro., some of the guys should be along to offer some advice :fing32:.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Murther, good to have you here with us and thanks for the intro., some of the guys should be along to offer some advice :fing32:.
Thank you for the welcome and moving my thread. My name is Jeremy also 22 years old and just moved into our first house (well trailer) with a yard that takes four hours to cut. :( It's a hassle when not it's long and has been raining with one push mower.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Welcome! Can you show us a picture of your mower, or one like it on the internet? It might be that removing the bag simply converts yours to a mulching mower. Does it have a spring-loaded door on the back where the bag goes? And when you remove the bag, the spring-loaded door is sprung closed tight? If that's the case, the grass wouldn't "come out" anywhere...it'd be trapped in the mower and get mulched up.

Mulching generally takes even more power than bagging does. You may try raising the mower up with the wheel height adjusters. Start with it on the highest setting and see how it works. It should cut very easily, with no engine lugging. If it bogs down even on the highest setting, there may be a mechanical problem with the engine or carburetor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! Can you show us a picture of your mower, or one like it on the internet? It might be that removing the bag simply converts yours to a mulching mower. Does it have a spring-loaded door on the back where the bag goes? And when you remove the bag, the spring-loaded door is sprung closed tight? If that's the case, the grass wouldn't "come out" anywhere...it'd be trapped in the mower and get mulched up.

Mulching generally takes even more power than bagging does. You may try raising the mower up with the wheel height adjusters. Start with it on the highest setting and see how it works. It should cut very easily, with no engine lugging. If it bogs down even on the highest setting, there may be a mechanical problem with the engine or carburetor.
You explain it exactly. The spring loaded door shuts and it goes no where. The lawn mower was bought over a year ago used once by my grandma but went to fast for her so she gave it to me. I've only used it three times and each time it's done this. I adjusted the wheel height in front but the back I couldn't seem to move them but I'm going to try again real quick.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
I agree with Jason. Most any mower will stall out in damp long grass if you lower the deck too much. There could be nothing wrong with the mower, you might just be overworking the capabilities of it. It takes a lot more power to chop up grass on the lower settings since there will be a lot more clippings.

Congrats on your first home!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Jason. Most any mower will stall out in damp long grass if you lower the deck too much. There could be nothing wrong with the mower, you might just be overworking the capabilities of it. It takes a lot more power to chop up grass on the lower settings since there will be a lot more clippings.

Congrats on your first home!
Thank's.

I just went out and looked and I notice my front two wheels could go up another notch so I put them both up. The back wheels on the other hand can go up one more. I manage to get one side up one more and the other wont seem to budge? o.0

Also my grass isn't wet, but I notice when I lift it up when it's about to die that wet is grass is shooting from under it? Why? I cleaned it out and everything. The bag I empty before I started.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may need to sharpen the blade.
Are you running the engine at full throttle?
Dave
To be honest Dave I'm not sure if I am running it at full throttle. I just start it up and use the self propelled lever and on my way. Also I looked at the blades and I don't think she only used it once, the blades look like they were sharpen before not new, with a few chips...

Also I manage to get the back wheel up on the other side so now it's all clean wheels up high as they can be, so when it cools down I will try this all again.

Is there a way to make it run faster or something? Maybe I can find a picture of what mine looks like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you haven't used lawn mowers a lot, it can be difficult to tell if it is running at full throttle. Is this your mower? http://www.upstateoutdoorpowerequip...el/1348/230/3161/2007/yardman-12a445c001.aspx

Does it say how much horsepower it is rated at? 4 hp will bog down, but if you have 6 or more, it should be able to cut through the deep stuff if running at full rpm.
That's the one I have.

Reading the owners manual and haven't come up with anything. As soon as the sun dies down I'm going to try this all gain with the wheels being up to the highest notch now, front and back. Hopefully that will make the difference. I'll keep looking to see how much HP it has.

·
Administrator
21,527 Posts
If you have the bag attached and the mower starts to bog down when the bag is empty, and grass shoots out when you raise the deck, it sounds like you are plugged up going into the bag. It should not be doing that when the bag is empty. Take the bag off, raise the door, and look for plugged up grass in there. (DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE OFF!) Keep the info coming. We'll get you fixed up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have the bag attached and the mower starts to bog down when the bag is empty, and grass shoots out when you raise the deck, it sounds like you are plugged up going into the bag. It should not be doing that when the bag is empty. Take the bag off, raise the door, and look for plugged up grass in there. (DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE OFF!) Keep the info coming. We'll get you fixed up.
I cleaned all that earlier as well through the hole it comes into the bag. Hopefully all this will work as soon as sun sets down. Way to hot right now to even attempt. Also in about five or ten minutes I will take a picture of the lawn mower and the blade and how everything looks at the moment.

Thank you guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a video for you guys.

The under deck of the lawn mower has some grass but I cleaned it out when it first start doing it as much as I could.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/MurtherX/?action=view&current=HPIM1569.mp4
Sorry for the double post I have no idea how to edit.

Well, went out and mowed the front of the lawn not even 30 seconds into it it start stalling due to long grass and died. I got mad and decided to take the bag off and hold the flap up with the wire that runs the throttle. I start it back up knowing to be cautious and wola! Didn't stall once went through all the tall grass like crazy and moved about 10x faster than it originally was with the bag on.

Unfortunately for that great news my grass is cut, but it could be dangerous to keep doing it this way. I still have the back yard to do as well. Also I came in looking like a grass zombie with all the excess grass hitting my legs.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
It is possible that the engine isn't producing full power. Your air filter might be plugged up....I still think it could be a lack of engine RPMs, but try running it without the air filter to see if it has any more power. If so, you will need to clean or replace it. Don't run it for long without the air filter though. It won't hurt it right away, but isn't good for the engine not to have clean, filtered air.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Hmm. That's weird. So I'm not sure if flipping the door up with no bag helped or holding the throttle cable helped. Your mower has a throttle control lever? It might, but that would not be common for a 2007 model.

It is dangerous, yes, to mow with the door open. If you hit anything unexpectedly, like even a piece of mulch, it will probably fly up and tag you. I would advise not doing that again (if that's what you were doing).

I'm still interested in this "holding the throttle cable" bit. Can you explain that some more. It sounds like we're getting there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm. That's weird. So I'm not sure if flipping the door up with no bag helped or holding the throttle cable helped. Your mower has a throttle control lever? It might, but that would not be common for a 2007 model.

It is dangerous, yes, to mow with the door open. If you hit anything unexpectedly, like even a piece of mulch, it will probably fly up and tag you. I would advise not doing that again (if that's what you were doing).

I'm still interested in this "holding the throttle cable" bit. Can you explain that some more. It sounds like we're getting there!
My bad I meant the cable that goes up to where I hold it for the self propelled. I put that under the flap so it would hold the flap up where the bag usually goes so it blew all the stuff right at me. I will try the air filter thing and see how hard it is to take out, etc..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My bad I meant the cable that goes up to where I hold it for the self propelled. I put that under the flap so it would hold the flap up where the bag usually goes so it blew all the stuff right at me. I will try the air filter thing and see how hard it is to take out, etc..
Update -

So I just took the air filter out. (REALLY easy) didn't except that... and notice it's dark black in some areas. Not exactly sure how to tell if it's completely useless but I ran it without the filter for about 3 minutes just a quick run without the yard seemed like before but didn't quit when I went through some of the higher stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts