My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all my fellow tractor owners !

I grew up on a farm in the Appalachian foothills of southern Ohio. In the early 1950s, my Dad began farming on a 120 acre farm, starting with horses ! At age 11 he became man of the house when his father died in 1922. He had to farm 100 acres in Kentucky and raise the younger brothers. So starting with horses he was familiar with. His first tractor shortly thereafter was a Ford Jubilee. By late 1960s it was a Ford 2000. Growing up on the farm, I was a tractor driver of course !

My first professional job was in Houston, Texas. When we moved to small acreage in Minnesota in 1993, I bought a cleaned up and painted John Deere Model A, 1951 model, from a guy in Howard Lake, Minnesota. I bought it with a mid-mount Woods Mower on it. I mowed 5 acres with it for a few years. Then we moved to Texas, I backed it up inside a moving van (18 wheeler). The driver had me back it up over a stack of blankets onto the elevated platform at the very front of the trailer. Thanks to low RPM and that sensitive hand clutch, it was no problem at all.

I continued to mow 6 acres in Texas with that rig for about 20 years. One cylinder had a hairline crack. Despite that, it would start reliably in temperatures over 50 F. I sold it to a guy who was restoring tractors. It has the 12 V positive ground electrical system and the Roll-A-Matic front end.

The John Deere A was replaced with a John Deere 850 (3 cylinder Yanmar, 1983 model) with a 3 point hitch (Now we're getting modern). At this point I used a tow behind Kioti mower that I still use today. With the 3 point came a selection of implements that were welcome for working on driveway, planting frees, and other things.

About 4 years ago (2016), a friend had developed Parkinson's disease and sold off a lot of things. I bought a small Kubota (1983 model also) from him (12 HP, with a Bush Hog front loader on it). Finally I had a small loader.

After a couple of years of having 2 tractors to maintain the property, I sold the JD 850 and the small Kubota, and got a brand new (My first and only new tractor) Kubota Grand L 3560 cab tractor. With my lung problems this made mowing the grass and working in the Texas heat more doable. It's a great tractor, but sitting on and working from a smaller tractor (where you "wear" the tractor, like an 850, also has it's draw).

A couple of weeks ago, my trim mower, a Craftsman DGT 2000 died from a cracked engine block. I got on Craigslist and found a John Deere 316 Kohler from 1978. So I'm back into vintage John Deere again...

So now we have a Kubota Grand L 3560, and a 42 year old John Deere 316. This should do it !

I just completed a restoration of the hydro linkage on the JD 316 and may post what I learned by doing that.

Attachments

·
4,165 Posts
WOW! great introduction...Welcome to MTF....looks like you have had some cool equipment over the years...and with your obvious experience, I don't know if we can answer any questions for you...but it looks like you may be able to answer a lot of them yourself for other in need of information or guidance...would love to see more pictures of these beauties that have passed through your hands over the years

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark,
Many thanks.

I'm sure the Forum will be very useful and hope I can contribute something useful for others also. I like to learn from others and get the full range of information before I proceed on a big project (repair or restoration).

Shoecobbler

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,789 Posts
Welcome to MTF Shoecobbler (may be we should call you Tractorcobbler). You've had some nice equipment over the years. Enjoy the forum!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts