My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Proud owner of a new-to-me JD 314 series mower. Having some issues and this looked like the place to get some answers! Cheers!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: & :goodl: with your tractor. slkpk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eye candy!

Taken with my Blackberry, sorry for the fuzzy quality.

Cheers!

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Blackhawk, good to have you with us and :thanku: for the pics, thats a nice looking 314 you got there :fing32:.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see this thread was moved to the JD subforum. Excellent! Save me time. Thank you, anonymous mod!

Anyways, I picked up this lovely looking 314 from a guy about an hour away who looked like he barely knew how to do more than put gas in it and turn it on. He wanted $650 for it. Said the only problems were that the throttle had stopped working recently and the battery wasn't charging anymore. Ok, no big deal, right. Came with all the manuals, 46 inch mower, and a brand new electric PTO (still in the box, uninstalled).

Things are not always what they seem. No wonder it was cheap.

Got it home, and started taking the air cleaner apart to fix the throttle issue. Looked in the carb quick and the throttle lever appeared to not move the plate in the carb bore. Ok, a little WD-40 should free it. Nope. Took it all the way off when it didn't move and saw it wasn't even on the throttle rod. He had taken the throttle plate and jammed it into the bore of the carb! Ordered a new plate, rod, screws, and cleaned and reassembled the carb. Now the new throttle rod doesn't have the little ball joint for the linkage to snap down onto. Ugh. Ok, I can make something to work.

Ginned up a linkage so I could test it. Looked at the belt going from the mule drive to the deck, and it was all twisted. Take mule drive off so I can untwist it and there's multiple DEEP grooves in the front axle from the drive pulleys! He must've forgot to tighten it when he put the deck on in the spring?? I think? *Sigh*, ok, front axles are cheap on E-bay. Winter project.

Reinstalled the belt and mule drive. Fire tractor up. Wow, that Kohler screams at full throttle. Actually makes me nervous. I'm used to my old twin cylinder Noma. Made one pass and the belt came off. Repeated this about 4 times. Bought a shiny new belt, since maybe the other was stretched too bad. Put the new one on and mowed for about an hour, but I could smell the belt rubbing near the end and it felt like it was loading the motor. A few seconds after that, the new belt popped off and promptly got sucked into the the still-turning deck. Shred. There goes $25. Looked at the belt and it looked like it had twisted itself like the old one did.

That's where I am now. An exciting 2 weeks so far! I really like this tractor, though! I don't know how I've lived without a hydrostatic trans for this long! I wish I could get this thing to act right so I could get rid of the other junk tractors in the garage.

Any thoughts, please share! Sorry for the novel!

Cheers,
Vince

·
Super Moderator
32,610 Posts
Vince, where are you in Western, NY? I'm down below Erie, PA! Sounds like the PO didn't have a conscience. Anyways, have you checked all the pulleys and deck belt for freedom of movement? If it seems like it's loading up sounds like a tight spindle getting tighter after it's heated up some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vince, where are you in Western, NY? I'm down below Erie, PA! Sounds like the PO didn't have a conscience. Anyways, have you checked all the pulleys and deck belt for freedom of movement? If it seems like it's loading up sounds like a tight spindle getting tighter after it's heated up some.
Say, you're not that far away! I'm up in Attica, 45 mins East of Buffalo.

Well, like I said, the guy looked like he had never gotten his hands dirty in hi life. Probably messed it up slightly and goobed it up worse trying to "fix" it. I think if I can fix the carb and deck, it'll be fine. I should've looked it over better, too. Live and learn, eh?

I did remove the deck so I can sharpen the blades and check all of the spindles and their bearings. One thing I did notice, is that when the deck is at the lowered cutting height, the belt kind of runs up to the mule drive at a slight angle. Maybe it was catching the top edge of the main deck pulley as it was going around?

·
Super Moderator
32,610 Posts
The slight angle from the deck to the mule drive is normal at the lower settings. The belt should be able to handle that with no problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The slight angle from the deck to the mule drive is normal at the lower settings. The belt should be able to handle that with no problem.
Ok, good to know. Well, I just finished making a more stable throttle linkage, and got the choke all back together, so I can now use for hauling the garden wagon around at least.

I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but how do I tell if I have the Series I or II Kohler? I just read a bit about it here somewhere. Or does that not pertain to me? Which one is better?

·
Super Moderator
32,610 Posts
I believe it was just the 317 that had that issue, it was a 17 hp engine and there were issues with the internal lubrication of the Series I engine. JD replaced them under warranty I believe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I live right around Geneseo and just picked up a new to me 1996 445. Good luck with the machine. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe it was just the 317 that had that issue, it was a 17 hp engine and there were issues with the internal lubrication of the Series I engine. JD replaced them under warranty I believe.
Ok, cool. Well, I just fired it up and ripped around the yard to see how the throttle works. Seems ok, but I still don't like how the carb acts. Seems like it's running full bore with the throttle lever not even halfway up. Are these motors ok to run that hard? The dealer told me to take care of the motor bc they are expensive to fix.

Now on to the deck! PA318Guy, I really appreciate your help with this! Looks like I picked the right forum to join! :thanku:

·
Three of my friends
8,922 Posts
As long as the oil is full and changed regular these motors will run wide open just fine (under load) of course.

·
Super Moderator
16,465 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Welcome Vince, this is a great place to get your questions answered. BTW I'm down in Chautauqua County and my wife grew up in Attica.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took the guards off of the deck and got all the grass out, then sc***** all the grass out of the underside of the deck. Got a little welding to do on the front mount and need to make a patch for a hole next to it, too. The deck belt was pretty old and cracked all over on the v-side. Kinda sloppy, too. I'm going to assume that the tensioner pulley is supposed to move back and forth, with the spring providing the tension? Right now it's locked up. Belt might've been slipping, too. Not sure how this would relate to my main drive belt....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it's been a few days. I patched the deck, bought a new deck belt, a new drive belt, leveled the deck front to back and side to side, freed the tensioner on the deck, and put it all back together. Mowed for about 5 minutes and could smell the belt. Got off and looked, and the mule drive belt turned itself over again in the pulleys.

There's no loose bearings or spindles on the deck or the mule drive. I made the mule drive as tight as I could, without stripping the tension bolt. Nothing is touching or rubbing the belt. I'm really stumped, fellas. I can't mow with it like that, bc it twists so much it pops out of the pulley grooves and gets eaten by the deck. Could it be in the PTO on the front of the tractor? I can't imagine there are too many things that can go wrong with this setup, as it's so simple.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts