My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome jayhawk, pleased to have you aboard with us and you've come to the right place for answers to your questions :fing32:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I'm looking to upgrade my lawn tractor as my wife and I moved into our new place last summer. My yard is appx. 4 acres with no hills but for two fairly steep ditches by the paved country road. The yard also has many trees to mow around. My main problem, however, is snow blowing. I will want a snow blower attachment for the mower as I live in northern North Dakota and we get significant snow fall each year.

My current mower is a 4 year old Craftsman LT 2000 with a 42 inch cutting deck (18HP I think). It does ok with the lawn, but struggles with the ditches. Further, it doesn't have a blower attachment, nor do I want one for it as I wish to upgrade anyway. Last winter I had to use a hand snow blower and it took 2-3 hours to blow the 275 foot gravel driveway after a major snow fall. Drifting is a big deal up here, and I can expect 3 foot drifts to plow thu (occasional 4 foot drifts).

With cost in mind, I was thinking of a JD x340 with blower.

Do folks here think that will do the trick for mowing and snow blowing? I've compared the 300's to the 500's to the 700's and don't think I need any of the extra's that the 500's and 700's offer. I'd love a 2305, but that's way out of my price range.

As far as I can tell the 300's and 500's have similiar engines, frames, and tranny's. The
700's seem somewhat more robust, but not enough to justify the price for what I need.

So, what do you think of the x340 for what I need? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 340 may work just fine for you.

But the X300 series and the X500 series are a lot different than you think. Starting with the transmissions! The X500 can do a lot more and will last a lot longer doing harder work! X500 is ground engaging. (I don't think anything in the X3 series is.) Even if you don't plan on doing that now...you never know what the future will bring.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I'd say X500 or if you want hydrolic lift then X530 or X540. The X500's and X300's are way different, the engines have air cooled or liquid cooled (liquid is the best) ground engaging tranny, differential lock, and more.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For $350 more you can get a x360 with power tilt steering, power deck lift, and a fully serviceable transmission. It has a smaller deck (take longer but you will be more comfortable) and a little less hp (I think they are all over powered now any way). Oh and it goes faster too! May not take longer after all.

From what your saying you want to do you probably don't need an x500 but you may want it in the future. Just keep it in mind. I love mine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Based on your described needs - especially the snow and drifts - I would opt for one of the X500 series. I would want the heavier/ stronger transmission for that amount of work. You made not think you will need it bit its nice to know you have the extra power and strength of a garden grade tranny.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,643 Posts
Just the amount you have to mow, to me, would dictate nothing smaller than an X5xx with a 54" deck. If the grass in ND grows anywhere near as fast as it does down here in the South, you're gonna rack up lots of hours on a smaller, slower machine doing 4 acres times however many times a month you have to mow. That alone will shorten the lifespan, whatever you get. The X5 will do an admirable job mowing or blowing, and IMO you'd be better served laying out a few more $$$ at the outset for the heavier tractor. Down the road, you won't regret it.

Or look for something used in the big frame X5 (585/595) for similar $$.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Based on your described needs - especially the snow and drifts - I would opt for one of the X500 series. I would want the heavier/ stronger transmission for that amount of work. You made not think you will need it bit its nice to know you have the extra power and strength of a garden grade tranny.
Yep i agree! The x500 would do you better than the x340! You always want to get just a little bit more than what you need. :p :trink39:

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
I agree. I am up in your neck of the woods. I used an X360 last year. It was a nice machine that did the job but it wasn't quite enough tractor for my needs. This year I upgraded to a X485 with the diff and lock and better blower. For what you are describing you probably want to consider something a little more hefty than the X3xx series. With that being said, you should also listen to what your wallet is telling you.:trink39:

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
When you get a snow blower look at the berco, seems like the best. What kind of options do you want so we can find the right X5xx for you.

1. Do you want power steering and hydrolic lift?

2. Air cooled or liquid cooled?

3. 4 wheel steer?

4. Any places to fit through? (gates, doors, buildings, ETC)

Anser those questions and we can find the model for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts