My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a what I believe to be an '04 Craftsman LT1000 due to a 5-18-2004 on a sticker under the seat. A neighbor parked it by the curb with a "FREE" sign on it so I rolled it down the street to its new home. It's all there except the deck which is fine with me since I plan to strip it down and use what I can for a go kart. However, there is a problem. I can't get the motor running.

I know fuel is getting to the carb because I spilled fuel all over my hand and patio when I foolishly pulled the line off the carb. I also know I'm getting spark because I got it to backfire. I know the starter is also getting power because I can see and hear it engage. Since I got it to backfire I'm assuming I know of all the safety switches but can anyone give me a rundown of all the safety switches so I can double check what I've done? If the safety switches are in fact nothing for me to worry about now, my next guess would be the carb. There are little bits of debri in the gas tank so I suppose there is a chance it made its way through the fuel filter and into the carb where it's either jamming or blocking something.

Another question I have is about the wires going to the bottom of the carb. One wire ends just after it disappears behind the carb where it is grounded to the motor and the other runs under the motor and into the mess of wires by the control panel. Here is a picture of the carb...
P8260270.jpg

And now here is a picture of the complete lawnmower...
P8260267.jpg

·
Administrator
21,527 Posts
Greetings, and welcome to MTF.

You might check the flywheel key to make sure it isn't bent or broken, thus making the engine out of time.

The wire that goes to the bottom of the carb is connected to the fuel solenoid. When you turn the key off, it releases a plunger that plugs the fuel inlet stopping the fuel, thus preventing a backfire. The other wire is just a ground wire, to ground the carb. When you turn the key to the "ON" position, the little solenoid should click, or make a slight noise, as it retracts it's plunger and allows fuel into the system. If it is not doing that, it may be inoperable, and that may be stopping your engine from running. I have a John Deere STX38 with a Kohler engine that has one of those fuel solenoids. Mine broke, and would not let the engine run. I removed it, took the little rubber cap off the plunger, and replaced the solenoid. I installed a shut-off in the fuel line to prevent fuel from draining into the crankcase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it running a couple hours ago. The first time I started it it was running great. Then I let it cool down for about 5 minutes and went back to the garage to start it again and it fired right up but something under the hood was smoking a lot. I tried driving it to see if the trans was junk and it is. It was making a bunch of grinding and clunking noises whenever I let off the brake and would only move me in second and third gear. It's not a big deal since I wasn't planning on using the trans but now I can stop considering buying a deck and reselling it to make a buck.

So, anyone know if there could be an easy fix for the trans? I read it is a closed unit so I'm not sure if I even can do anything. Could the smoke be from all the grease and grim that's everywhere under the hood or do you think the motor is junk and burning oil?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts