My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
WANTED - DEAD OR ALIVE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd just like to say how grateful I am for stumbling upon mytractorforum.com.

While I have questions that haven't quite been covered here, I've already learned a lot about my mower, a John Deere STX38 (yellow deck).

I'd like to thank anyone in advance for helping me, and also to thank the folks who set up, maintain, and run this forum.

I bought the STX38 in 1989, from a dealership that sold "employee trade-ins." Back then, Deere employees (maybe the still can) could trade in their mowers each year, and get a new one for a great price. Mine had about 10 hours on it, and was in beautiful shape.

It's been an exceptional tool. As long as you take reasonable care of it, it runs like a top, seemingly unaware that it's over 25 years old.

Probably not unlike a lot of people, I've had one heck of a time getting good, solid, repair/maintenance instruction or advice from anywhere, including John Deere dealerships. There are two in our immediate area. One is staffed by people who are used to catering to customers who apparently buy new mowers frequently, don't do any of their own maintenance, and don't ask a lot of questions.

I'm also convinced they simply hate their lives in general as well. I've purchased a lot of parts and even a bagger from them, but that doesn't seem to carry a lot of weight. The last time I talked to them they told me that if my STX38 had a metal oil drain tube with a metal cap, it wasn't an OEM part. Their information showed plastic.

Then they slammed the dealer I had purchased the mower from originally. Nice. Strike three was when they accused of somehow manipulating the packaging on some bearings I bought last fall: I had asked for the bearings in the main sheave, the one that takes the feed off of the transmission and then turns the belt that drives the belt.

They gave me one bearing marked "JD9296," and one marked "JD8535." I told them that they were the same size. They were incredulous, and wanted to see them. It was obvious that they didn't believe me, and felt that I had no idea what I was doing. While that might be correct, I know if two bearings are the same size, and how to read numbers printed on the plastic bag-like packaging. I also knew for a fact that the STX38's OEM oil drain tube was metal with a metal cap.

The other folks are 5 mi. out of town. It's hard for me to get a ride to the store for food, much less to go 5 mi. out of town so I can get a bolt/oil filter, etc. The only problem is that they're so nice that after a while I start feeling guilty. Especially when they're just reading off of the JD Parts site with the exploded parts diagrams. I basically know as much as they do about the mower because I've had it all these years. At least they don't accuse me of foul play...

The problem I'm running into is that a JD repair guy could have gone 20 years now without ever laying their hands on an STX38. They're not like 110's or 112's, and they're decidedly a no-longer-produced "niche" riding mower.

So...once again thank or the help in advance, and thank you to all of the administrators and tech folks that make this site.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.