My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello from minnseota

Well I found this site while looking for information on a Massey Ferguson lawn tractor I was about to buy and fell in love with the information on this site.

I graduated from college about a year ago and 4 months ago just purchased my first house. It has a very long driveway, so I needed something to move the snow for this upcoming winter. I found an old massey ferguson 14 and bought it a few days ago. Here she is.

Attachments

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Nice looking Massey you got:thThumbsU

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
David nice looking MF you got there and thanks for sharing with us, glad you are enjoying the site :).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I changed the oil and greased the whole thing already. What else would you guys recommend I do right away? I am going to change the transmission fluid in it also, can I just use regular car transmission fluid? Thanks in advance.

david

·
Registered
534 Posts
Very nice clean lookin machine you got there.

Welcome to the forum.

A tip or 2
for ya, when it comes to sno blow'in time.
(I also have a 14 w/blower)

Sand (really good) the inside of the chute, and get a good smooth
paint layer in there. Spray with pam before you go a'blowin.

If the chute rotation gets a bit tight or sticky, use a squirt bottle
of windshield washer fluid, and spray down into the cavity.
Don't over grease the chute rotation. It'll just freeze up, and bind up.

And last but not least, don't chase the wife's dog!:Stop:

·
Registered
534 Posts

I changed the oil and greased the whole thing already. What else would you guys recommend I do right away? I am going to change the transmission fluid in it also, can I just use regular car transmission fluid? Thanks in advance.

david

Yes, ATF

·
Registered
534 Posts

What else would you guys recommend I do right away?

david
Take those wheel weights off (you don't want them), put them in a box, and
send them to me.:trink40:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks sherwood for the tips on blowing snow, I already can't wait for snow to fall. I spent all weekend driving it around my house.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Good to have you on board David. Great tractor you found. I noticed you have the tiller already on a pallet ready to send to me. PM me for shipping address.

·
22,182 Posts
:MTF_wel2: davycoppit!! Great looking tractor!

:Stop: Don't let these guys talk you into shipping the weights or tiller. PM me your address and I'll come and get them. :trink40:

I have used Dexron III or Mercon for the tranny on my MF1655 for 28 years and 2500 hours. It's a little better than motor oil in the winter.

For the engine, if most of the hours of use are summer, 10W30, for winter 5W30. Now I'm starting to seriously think synthetic, after reading all the posts on here and reports that were linked.

Don't get it too dirty for the first week.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
With the weight of the snow blower, I would look into filling those rear tires with some RV anti-freeze (Simple cheap weight and VERY effective) Plus, given your location, I would seriously pick up a set of snow chains.

A pair of carhart overalls make the job a lot nicer too! That's a great looking package you bought, feel like sharing the price you picked that all up for?

·
Registered
534 Posts
It did come with the snow chains. I paid 800 I hope it wasn't too steep.

david

I'm thinking you should be ashamed of yourself for stealing it !:trink40:

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Shoot, that's a great deal! A serious garden tractor, built like a tank (and good looking) with a blower, and tiller? All for the cost of the lowest end junk basic lawn mower sold at a box store? Yea, you did good...

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Hello fellow Minnesotan
I dont own any Massey tractor, But I have heard they are great tractors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for all the tips. I've startede a notebook writing down everything. I'm sure I will have allot of questions since I know almost nothing about mechanical things other than the basics.

The hydraulic cylinder that lifts the snowblower is leaking a little bit. Does that fluid come from the same reservoir as the transmission? If it leaks will the transmission run out of fluid?

Here are a few more photos I took today.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts