My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this site was recommended to me by a member at Snowblower Forum. I've been restoring small equipment for a while now and love checking out restore threads [which is why I'm here, winter is the work season for snowblowers].
I am currently restoring a 1957-60 [unsure of the actual year] Bolens Versa-Matic 155 02. Am currently working on restoring the Kohler K160 motor it came with. Fired it up this last weekend to make sure it operates [which it does quite well] and am now tearing it back down to paint.
It came with a snowblower attachment which I set aside for now, wheel weights, and chains.

Plant Tire Automotive tire Wheel Mower

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Welcome from Michigan!
Great looking machine! Those old engines just seem to run forever. My early 1960s Giant Vac has it's original 8h p Kohler "The cast iron line" engine. It starts with one rotation. Great project, good luck on the rest of it.

Reactions: Northeast Dave

·
Super Moderator
39,342 Posts
Welcome to MTF! Lots of info here and great members to help and share with, enjoy the site! We have a restoration forum, small engine forum, and a few others that should be of some assistance as you work on the Versa-matic. Doesn't look to be in too bad of shape so you have a nice machine to start on. Here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

Font Parallel Technology Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to MTF! Lots of info here and great members to help and share with, enjoy the site! We have a restoration forum, small engine forum, and a few others that should be of some assistance as you work on the Versa-matic. Doesn't look to be in too bad of shape so you have a nice machine to start on. Here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

View attachment 2528728
Thanks for the tips.
The Versa-Matic isn't in bad shape just REALLY dirty and not maintained [surface rust on the body but not rot]. I picked it up because of the cool hood assembly. I really want a tractor, but other than a lawn [mowing] tractor my property [3/4 acre in suburbia] doesn't really call for heavy equipment. But I really need something that can tow firewood from the bottom of the yard up to the house when there's snow on the ground [lawn tractor has turf tires] so I figured this would be the next best thing [once I add a sulky cart]. And I don't have a garage [another reason I don't rebuild a nice lawn size tractor] so everything has to fit in my 38" x 40" door to the basement crawlspace.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome from Michigan!
Great looking machine! Those old engines just seem to run forever. My early 1960s Giant Vac has it's original 8h p Kohler "The cast iron line" engine. It starts with one rotation. Great project, good luck on the rest of it.
Thanks, I have family in Spring Lake Michigan.
I've never worked on any of the old Kohler engines but it seems to be a pretty solid piece, getting used to the different layout [points not under the flywheel] and some other things, but for being 60+ years old it is in very good condition.

·
Kioti SCUT
605 Posts
Welcome. I'm in southeast Connecticut. In the rural part on three acres of woods. Cal

Reactions: MARK (LI)
1 - 20 of 22 Posts