My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking these parts for a little while as there is some great information to be had here.

I live on a little more than a 1/2 acre that sits a top a good sized hill. To this point I've been mowing with my dad's 317 (he now has a pair of JD 2305's and doesn't really use the 317 for anything other than snow blowing) during the summer and returning it to him in the late fall so he can use the blower.

Recently he, my dad, has decided to not keep the 317 anymore and offered to sell it to me (with all of it's attachments for a favorable price of course) or he's going to sell it on the open market. Well the wife doesn't really care for the 317 because of its age and its vibration so instead of buying that she'd rather me just buy a new one. :thThumbsU Plus I really like the idea of something being completely brand new, mine that I bought and kept for many years.

I started out looking at the x300. The more I looked the more I felt I wanted the higher HP because of the hills I have to navigate and blowing snow. We don't get HUGE snows in Indiana but 10" isn't out of the realm of possibility. I wanted something that would handle all of this and a little more without much strain and thus more wear and tear.

That puts me into the x320. The x320 is a nicer machine but man, no power lift? I'm used to the 317, I'm not a big fan of depressing a lever to lift the deck or raise the blower. Not to mention my wife intends on mowing and snow blowing and she already complains about the manual steering on the 317. So the power steering and lift became very appealing to me not just for me but for her too. I hear the power steering is especially nice in the snow.

So here I am, nearing the time before I'm about to pull the trigger on an x360. I've playfully considered the x530 because of the more heavy duty tractor frame and the rear locking differential when on my hills. However, we're talking an extra ~$2k and for a tractor that really will ever be used for is to mow, throw snow, and haul dirt/mulch around the property -- it doesn't seem like money well spent.

So this post serves as my "hello" to the group and also to find out from those in the know if my logic is reasonable and sound. Plus there isn't a lot of x360 talk.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
901 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have it very well thought out. The only thing that pops out for me is your "hills". Know you've been using the 317 for mowing, and no problems their, then I think the 360 should be fine. But what about snowblowing? What kind of drive? Hilly? Steep? What have you been using for snow removal?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have it very well thought out. The only thing that pops out for me is your "hills". Know you've been using the 317 for mowing, and no problems their, then I think the 360 should be fine. But what about snowblowing? What kind of drive? Hilly? Steep? What have you been using for snow removal?
I imagine the 360 should handle the hill better because 1) it has a lower center of gravity and 2) more HP.

The drive way: My garage is a side load garage. From the garage out it's about 35'. From the street to the end of the drive is about 70'. The other fun part is the driveway is uphill. I had been shoveling by hand to this point. Ugh. It would take me 1.5 - 2 hours on a "normal" snow. When we got 10"+ it'd take many hours and a few breaks. I also have my sidewalk which is about 40'.

I think I'd like to clear the front street sidewalk too so the kids can walk to the school bus stop without slugging through snow.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
For about the same money as the X360 you could jump to the X500. You would give pwr steering and pwr lift but would gain alot bigget trans and lockind diff. witch would really help on the hills. Just my .02. Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

In addition to the previous question about your driveway (hilly, flat) is it paved or gravel? Are you planning on a plow or snow blower?

The X360 is nice but as you point out is lacking the diff lock. The tires are also a bit smaller and narrower so will have less ground contact (traction) to offer. These two things might be important in the winter or even mowing on a hill when it is moist out. You can get HDAPs on the X500 series which would help with traction too.

The X500 would not provide power steering but most say it steers very easily (a test drive for both is called for). Maybe not a big deal unless you plan to add a Johnny Bucket Jr or something similar in the future. The X500 series has a much stronger transaxle than the X360 although the X360 is definitely the best of the X300 series.

The X500 series engine is also stronger (you mentioned hills and a trailer for hauling stuff).

You probably would do well with either choice but in the long run might be happier with the larger tractor. I think a test drive of the X500 would be a really good idea. It might bet you most of what you like with the X530 for very little more than the X360. It looks like there may be a $300 rebate on the X500 series but not the X300 series so that could help too.

Good luck with a fun decision!

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
:ditto::ditto: I agree with Bruce. With spring assist, raising the deck or the 44" blade on my 320 is NOT difficult. As for the steering, my X320 turns on a dime, especially after I added a spinner knob. I imagine the X500 would too... If you and your wife are reasonably able-bodied, you won't miss them.

IMHO, the X500 is MUCH more bang for the buck. The tranny is going to make more difference in climbing hills than HP does. I think that's why you don't see many X360s on here. By the time they reconcile to the X360, The X500 is a no-brainer.

At any rate, good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You all aren't suppose to make my decision more difficult! :fing20:

It's tricky because the power steering/lift are a bigger deal to my wife. She has back problems and these sort of things make life easier on her to do these types of things she wants to do.

·
1,862 Posts

It's tricky because the power steering/lift are a bigger deal to my wife. She has back problems and these sort of things make life easier on her to do these types of things she wants to do.
Then go with the X360. We ALL know ya gotta keep the missus happy! :trink40:

I'm in southern Indiana, so we don't get a lot of snow. But we did get a couple of six inch snows last year, and my X320 did fine plowing it with 2 suitcase weights and chains.

·
Registered
901 Posts

I had a feeling this was going to happen! But if power steering/lift is important to you and you wife, then go for it. Because if you get a tractor that the wife is not happy about, guess what! I think your good looking at the 360, but 530 would would be the ticket, of course more dollars, and the guys on here are just trying to look out for you because of the "hill" issue.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I feel your pain! I'm in the exact same boat as you. Started looking at the X320 but the Wifey will be throwing the snow while I'm away soooo, Ta-Da! X360.

Then I started in on this site and am really learning A LOT! I am a couple days away from (pretty sure about this) a X500 w/electric lift for the blower.

I know the X3XX series would be fine, but I keep coming back to the beefier tranny w/locking diff. I want something that is going to LAST, and if that means a little more $$, so be it. I want my young boys will be using whatever I buy 15-20 years from now.

I feel your pain, but get what your gut tells you.:fing32:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel your pain! I'm in the exact same boat as you. Started looking at the X320 but the Wifey will be throwing the snow while I'm away soooo, Ta-Da! X360.

Then I started in on this site and am really learning A LOT! I am a couple days away from (pretty sure about this) a X500 w/electric lift for the blower.

I know the X3XX series would be fine, but I keep coming back to the beefier tranny w/locking diff. I want something that is going to LAST, and if that means a little more $$, so be it. I want my young boys will be using whatever I buy 15-20 years from now.

I feel your pain, but get what your gut tells you.:fing32:
Yea, it's tough. Mainly because the wife has me liking the idea of a power steering tractor and power lift. Which means if I want that and go to an x5xx then it's an x530.

How much are they quoting you for your x500 with blower?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't have any real "facts", but I have been reading about the new X310.

"The new John Deere Select Series X310 lawn tractor offers power steering, hydraulic lift, and an exclusive power system."

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts

·
1,862 Posts
I don't have any real "facts", but I have been reading about the new X310.

"The new John Deere Select Series X310 lawn tractor offers power steering, hydraulic lift, and an exclusive power system."
Just out of curiosity, I asked my dealer about the X310 when I was there last. The X310 will have the same specs as an x300, but with PS and power lift. Same K46 tranny and 18hp Kawi engine.

Biz says he's got some hills. We know the K46 doesn't do well with hills...

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just out of curiosity, I asked my dealer about the X310 when I was there last. The X310 will have the same specs as an x300, but with PS and power lift. Same K46 tranny and 18hp Kawi engine.

Just sayin'...
Yea, I read that early on and moved on from the x300 for that reason. I just need to decide if the x360 does all that I want it to do and do it well. Or is the extra money justified, in my situation, for the x500 or x530. It's the difference in paying cash for the tractor or taking out a small loan (if I want to keep the power steering/lift).

The JD sales actually says the x360 is all I need. Those with experience (you all) are saying it's worth it to go to the x5xx. It's honestly a very tough decision. I'm going back and forth. I wish I could test drive them both out on my own property.

Though I have to say, as far as problems go, this is a good one to have. =)

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts

Just sayin'...
I will be very surprise that Tuff Torq redesign the K46 with hydro outlet, they will have to boost the inner pump capacity greatly......

·
TE Forum Contributor
408 Posts
Welcome to the MTF site! :)

I know you like brand new but what if you bought an X465/475/485 with less than 500 hours on it? A nice one could be had around $5k. Plus the liquid cooled engines would/should outlast any of the air cooled engines you are looking at. It might not be brand new but I chose to go that route myself to get more tractor for the money.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
I will be very surprise that Tuff Torq redesign the K46 with hydro outlet, they will have to boost the inner pump capacity greatly......
I called Tuff Torq and they said they still don't make a K46 with hydro outlets so it must have a K58. They said the only way it could have a K46 is if John Deere modified the trans once they got it. I can't imagine they would do that.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
If new is the path I would arrange a time with your dealer to test drive a X360, X500, and X530 (if available) to see and feel the differences. I would take your wife to the test and let her give her opinion on the feel and function of them. Worst case you walk away no closer to a decision than today. Best case she likes what you like and want and you go home and celebrate your new tractor.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yea, it's tough. Mainly because the wife has me liking the idea of a power steering tractor and power lift. Which means if I want that and go to an x5xx then it's an x530.

How much are they quoting you for your x500 with blower?
$8282 for X500 with electric lift, 44" blower, 7 bushel powerflo bagger, 2 weights, HDAP rears.

$6390 for X320 with 44" blower, 7 bushel powerflo bgger, 2 weights.

I didn't get a quote on the X360 because, from what I gather, it really would only be a matter of a few hundred dollars to step up to the X500. And I think you see what everyone hear thinks about that! :drunkie:

They love spending other peoples $$ around here, but I trust what I hear from these guys here have to say over a JD salesman. These guys love and use their tractors. A salesman, while sometimes very knowledgable, is about the $$.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts