My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Im the new guy. Recently bought a home out in North Andover MA with just over 1 acre. Looked at lots of tractors and ended up getting a 2009 Craftsman YTS4000 with the 46inch deck. I have not yet gotten to cut the lawn with it and have a question on how I should approach the pattern that I use to do so.

Im having a hard time wrapping my head around the right approach. I cant figure how I do it so that my lines look good. Here is a pic of my plot:

My big question is what to do when I get to the mulch beds around the house and trees. Obviously a zt would just spin around and go back, but that obviously is not going to work. Any tips on this would be awesome.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
:Welcome1:

you normally don't mow in teh same manner with a rider as you do with a push mower. many go in circles that progressivly work inwards. some folks will cut 2-3 passes at each end and then run back and forth using the cut areas as a turn around. or cut one pass, turn and skip some and cut another pass, getting the skipped areas on the next runs.

best thing i cna say is to try it different ways and see what gives you the desired result for the least amount of time.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Hello and what to do?
--------------------------------------------------------
Lubricate steering system often.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I just mow in a different pattern everytime. Sometimes, I don't even know what i am doing, i just mow.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Guys, you mean to tell me that I have been doing it wrong all these years? Mow? I thought that I was just supposed to ride around the yard drinking beer! :trink40: No wonder the grass is so high around the house! :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Just sent you a PM, TopKatz.

You'd be surprised how tight turning those Crafstman tractors are. I had an '06 YS4500 and it had a real tight turning radius, not a ZT but pretty good nonetheless. The trees/mulch beds look to be of a large diameter which should make it a bit easier to manuever around.

I'd suggest going for your 1st mow and see what mowing pattern works best but try not to do the same pattern every time you mow. I usually mow around the outer perimeter of my yard and then begin a perpendicular pattern from there. Sometimes I go north to south then other times east to west. It keeps the grass from getting used to being mowed in the same direction all the time.

:MTF_wel2: - :goodl: & don't forget :wwp:

·
Premium Member
7,951 Posts
It keeps the grass from getting used to being mowed in the same direction all the time.
You got to keep that grass on its toes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
TopKatz - I just bought the exact same machine and was delivered earlier in the week. It sure looks good in the garage all spotless! I am in Mansfield and with all the rain we've been having, haven't been able to use it. I can't wait to mow...I may try to get some mowing in tonight. Rumor has it more showers are on the way thru the weekend.

I echo many of the comments the rest of the guys made...gotta work straight lines, vary the directions. It will take a few runs to get a good pattern down for sure.

Best of Luck with the new ride!!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Straight lines are one way to go, but curved lines are ok too and look especially good if they follow contours of a sloped lot. Also can go diagonally, and on a large sq lot. I once cut the diagonals to find the center and spiraled my way out. Looked cool when I was done, even though the corners were a little difficult to do. Don't agonize over it, experiment and ENJOY!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Straight lines? What are them things?

Must be something those that have large un-obstructed flat mowing surfaces have. I'm just lucky if I don't run into , crew up, and spit out in a thousand and one pieces the prized rose bush.

Ellio...lawn was quite dry today for mowing over here on the east cost. I still gotta level off that mowing deck abit.

·
Junk Collector
420 Posts
Straight lines? What are them things?

Must be something those that have large un-obstructed flat mowing surfaces have. I'm just lucky if I don't run into , crew up, and spit out in a thousand and one pieces the prized rose bush.
:ditto: :sidelaugh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I got home last night and everyone was out mowing their lawns. I had not yet installed my mulch kit, so I got to work on that. Then I checked the weather, sure enough more rain for the foreseeable future, now I know why every one was out mowing.

So I hop on the ******** and start at it. In my fenced in area in the back yard I basically did laps. It looks ok, but not exactly what I want. After dinner, I hit the front. This time I did straight lines. My lawn does not have high burms or edging so I was able to drive onto the street , turn around and come back the other way. This made for a real nice look. When I would get back to the mulch bed/fence or whatever I would doa three point turn using reverse. This worked fine.

As with most things like this I got the hang of it. By the time I was done I was feeling good about it. The rig did nice job, and the lawn looks sharp. Took about 2hrs to bang it out. Now I just need to edge it with the string trimmer.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I'll have to ride down the road and check out your lawn Ellio. :ROF
I hope to mow my yard today. Notice that I said "yard" I have a lot of work to do before I can call it a lawn again. :fing20:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
A little seat time is just what you needed! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little seat time is just what you needed! :thThumbsU
I have found this to be the case with most things. I have to do my shrubs next : (

Just like the lawn it will be a learning experience. Ill be sure to start in the back, as Im sure there is a learning curve with them also.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I just mow in a different pattern everytime. Sometimes, I don't even know what i am doing, i just mow.
Hahahahaha. I start out w/ a plan, but since I'm on a cul-de-sac pie lot my plan usually ends up going to crap 3/4 of the way through. I still haven't figured out a good way to cut w/o wasting time on my lot.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Hahahahaha. I start out w/ a plan, but since I'm on a cul-de-sac pie lot my plan usually ends up going to crap 3/4 of the way through. I still haven't figured out a good way to cut w/o wasting time on my lot.
Goat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts