My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, great forum you have -

I'm the proud owner of a sick horse. The story is I went to till and the tines would not engage, engage lever moving forward and rearward very freely. So I pulled the tiller attachment off and peek into power unit PTO side. PTO clutch lever screw slides freely on the side of the dog clutch, dog clutch does not move for or aft. Pulled PTO clutch lever off, screw head looks worn / broke - fresh shiney metal.

So my questons are -
Should dog clutch slide forward and rearward on drive shaft?
Once I get new screw for PTO clutch lever and install it, where does the screw sit in relation to the dog clutch? Does it ride in the grove of the dog clutch? To me it seems if the screw is in the grove of the dog clutch then when the PTO engage lever is moved forward and rearward it will move the dog clutch forward and rearward to engage and diengage the tiller attachment, correct?

Thanks for any responses -

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same symptoms. Pulled apart and found screw and a bearing which rode in a notch in dog clutch fell apart. Ordered a "kit" which supposedly is an upgrade. Kit has an allen screw and new dog clutch with narrower notch. My question is that screw has knurrels on the head and looks like it will wear the dog clutch fast as the shaft rotates. the bearin idea although appearing weak in side loading seemed like a better buide surface. Anyone else have experieince with this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts