My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Larry here from Monroe, WA. I recently started a new hobby repairing lawnmowers. I have decided right now to focus mostly on John Deere walk-behinds. I don't have a lot of room on our small lot so i have a 5 mower limit. :) I hope to meet some good folks on here and learn a lot and maybe share some of what I know.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
Nice to meet you, Larry. This is a great place with a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people. :thThumbsU

By the way, we all like to see pics of whatever lawnmower project you are working on.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Welcome, Larry!

Hope to see some of your acquisitions from the northwest. Don't want to upset your collecting schedule, but there were a couple of really cool Honda HR17's in the Seattle area, I think in Renton. These are so small 17" deck that you could add them to your future JD collection without taking up a lot of space. Just need carburetor cleaning.

They have side valve 76cc motors on them. Check Craigslist for Seattle!

reply to this link: [email protected]

Only $75 and I bet he'd sell it for $40. Also comes with the bag which is unobtanium form Honda!

The other one is very clean, but he wants more for it: $150.

This and the HR21 were the first Honda mowers imported and built in Japan!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hello and welcome, also from monroe. I'm down 203 and above the old "honor-prison farm".

I mainly play with reels but also have a lawnboy. I love my lawnboy but it cloggs anytime it is damp. I need something self propelled and light weight to bag and pick up leafs. I am going to "borrow" one of my dads John Deere 14sb's (of which he has two) to see how it picks up leafs this fall.

Take care,
Eric

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sean- I will post some pics and thanks for the welcome.
GCMartin-Jeez my first post and you're already a bad influence..lol
Eric- I live off chain lake above the movie theater. Looking for Any Deere walk-behinds especially the 14 SB. Are you interested in more reels if i run across them?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hello and welcome, also from monroe. I'm down 203 and above the old "honor-prison farm".

I mainly play with reels but also have a lawnboy. I love my lawnboy but it cloggs anytime it is damp. I need something self propelled and light weight to bag and pick up leafs. I am going to "borrow" one of my dads John Deere 14sb's (of which he has two) to see how it picks up leafs this fall.

Take care,
Eric
Eric,

I sure like your Locke triple reel. Do you have photos posted? if not start a new topic with photos!

·
Registered
300 Posts

Take care,
Eric
The JD does well picking up leaves. I would like to try a gator blade in hopes it would chew up the leaves a bit more than the stock blade.

Well, I should say it picks up leaves well that are sitting on top of the grass as the JD lacks the vacuum of a snapper.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Eric,

I sure like your Locke triple reel. Do you have photos posted? if not start a new topic with photos!

Here it is. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=127116 I have not updated it in a while.

Larry, I'm not really looking for more reels right now, unless it is super cheap. And even then I would be pretty picky. I just dont have space in my small shed at this time. I would like to find a better bagger/leave/cedar stick/maple helecopter picker upper sometime.

From what I can tell about best picking up rear baggers....
Snappers - awesome bagging and "vacuuming", but parts are hard to get.
Toros - good bagging, parts available
Deere 14sb - good bagging, expensive parts available

Now back to your original post...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts