My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The older members here will remember the often teased-about "Helix Maneuver". (my PRO-16 was hungry for ribs. :biglaugh:)
Helix Maneuver Story.
Helix Maneuver 2.0 involves my GMT 9000. (I guess this is 3.0 if you count the time I tried to save a positive battery cable from a running L & broke a thumb in the mag drive.)
I lifted the hood, checked the fluids, climbed into the seat & fired it up. Then I leaned way out over the steering wheel to lift the hood support bar & lower the hood. As I grabbed the support bar, my right hip pushed the hand control forward, the tractor lurched out of the barn, I lost my balance, came off of the hand control, the tractor stopped & I pitched forward, landing right hand first into the alternator fan blades. As I jumped back from that violent surprise, the hood fell on my left hand. Lots of shredded skin & a broken index finger....
I'm really not a clumsy guy, I tend to live on the edge, I ride Harley's, I climb 300 ft towers for a living, I'm at more occupational risk than most people. I have numerous OSHA ratings & certs, I have been "The Safety Guy" on many industrial construction sites. But these darned Gravely's have a way of biting me!
That's not blood splatter, it's antifreeze, it's an old pic.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Geez, you can't win for losing HH. Any permanent damage?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ouch!! Sorry to hear about your situation. Thanks for sharing to keep the rest of us alert.

Here is what I have on the mirror mounted above the work bench.

Hope you heal up soon.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Wow! Sorry for your pain, but you should be use to it by now.:hide:

Hard to imagine that riding your Harley to climb a 300' tower is the "safest" part of your day.

We've all been bitten by our tractors. Thanks for sharing because it reminds us that we need to be careful.

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got to thinking, if the alternator had been spinning the other direction it might have pulled my fingers inward & under the belt. Instead it flung them out to the right of the engine.
Counting my blessings.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,305 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like the kind of thing you can do a hundred times, and then... Hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I feel your pain, timing a 440 Mopar once and having the wrench slip and your hand go into the fan ruined my day once. Nine pretty stitches on my right hand. Many other "Safety" stories available on request!:)

·
Super Moderator
33,680 Posts
One of those, you have to find the silver lining stories! Anytime you come away from something like that with everything intact you've been lucky!

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
:duh:I think I know why Gravely changed the old 'pie shaped' cut out air shield, I was one of those people who reached down to shut off the gas without looking, the engine still running.

That fan blade can certainly get your attention. :-0

Roger,

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse. If you play with these things long enough, just like riding motorcycles, it isn't IF it is more of WHEN.

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,823 Posts
Glad you are on the mend. Stuff happens. Reminds me that I've had my own close calls. The sheer weight of most Gravely's is enough reason to use extra caution.

Keep the topside up!!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Glad your ok. I think maybe you are saving up all your accidents for when you are on the ground, I hope so at least.

Still not as good as the original though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts