My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I put a helicoil in a spark plug hole that is stripped out or do you need a whole new head? Thanks.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
As long as you can make sure that the heli coil doesnt protrude into the combustion chamber you should be fine. On the other hand, if a new head is cheap enough, might as well go that route.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Ahhhhh the wonder of HeliCoil !

I had a an aluminum head on a bike fixed with one, it outlasted the bike and some racers even have them installed on new heads just for piece of mind it should work great.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Factory used to put them in new heads if they were needed.
Too much machining at that point to scrap the part.
Stock heli coils were used, but the heli coil had to be cut down to fit.
I want to say 2 threads cut off, but not sure.
Here is a D piston at top dead center if it will help.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
You could use the spark plug threads as a guage as to how long to make the heli coil so it doesn't go into the cylinder too far.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Can I put a helicoil in a spark plug hole that is stripped out or do you need a whole new head? Thanks.
yes you can,i ended up putting one in my 8238 after i overhauled the engine...i still cant belive i didnt notice that til after i overhauled it!:banghead3

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Yes. Make sure you get an actually plug repair kit. I put one in one of my D series last year, when the brass plug adapter on my compression tester, decided to lodge itself in the hole. Jacked up the adapter and plug threads too! Not really happy about that, but the plug insert coil worked out real nice. After I ripped on the gauge manufacturer(Lisle) about what happened, I got a nice new adapter as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts