My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few hundred feet of hedge (Caragana SP) to trim every year. By trimming I mean cutting down the top of the hedge so that it's level. I currently use a hand, electric 24" trimmer.

Every year it gets harder (my age and hedge growth). I keep thinking there has to be a way to quick-attach maybe a 6' sickle or something on the bucket of the FEL on my Case D40 to do this job quickly and fairly effortlessly. I once tried a lawn mower mounted on the FEL of my old Case D but, although pretty exciting to use, it didn't have the cutting width or power to do the job.

Have any of you ever tackled this issue or something similiar?

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I remember seeing a thread, I believe somewhere on here, showing a hydraulically driven sickle mower attachment used for just that purpose. It was actually a purpose built commercial attachment. I think that it was designed to be mounted to a dump truck bed or loader bucket, and used for trimming along roads and such. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the website, but it will probably be this evening before I can find it. I also have a link for a company that makes a self contained, three point hitch mounted, boom mower system that can be equipped with a sickle bar attachment. I'll post that as well.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Found the info I mentioned before. The cutthat.com site posted above is the mower attachment I had remembered.

Here's the site for the rear mounted boom mower I mentioned. Ferri normally equips them with flail heads, but there is a sickle bar type attachment available for most of the mower sizes.
http://www.ferri-america.com/boom-mowers

Good luck with your project. This looks like an excellent opportunity to add a new toy!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses. The Samurai cutter at Cutthat is exactly what I had in mind (price isn't even too bad) except that I was hoping for at least 60 inches in cutting length --- The Samurai is 38 inches. I'm going to call them and get more info. NEAT product.

I only have one set of hydraulic plug ins on the Case which of course are needed to run the FEL. They say I can tap into "the hydraulic pitch port on the bucket" and fix that problem.

Has anyone done anything like that?

Thanks again.

PS: T man --- I've done things in that same IQ category -- but I was younger.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I've been thinking about this some more. Before you invest money into this, you may want to run an experiment. Remember that having anything mounted off to the side of your loader will accentuate any motion of the tractor as you travel along. My dad ran into this when trying out a mower deck mounted weed trimmer head, and having a 3-6 foot long arm will only accentuate things. If you hit a dip, you will get a notch cut in your hedge. You might want to clamp a 2x4 to your loader bucket so it overhangs as you want the cutter to. Travel along the route you plan to use with the board running over the hedges, above the top by a foot or so. Watch the relation of the board to the hedge. You may not have to do anything, you may decide to smooth out the ground some, or you may drop the idea. Anyway, this is a cheap experiment that should prove how you need to run things.

I'd be surprised if you can't get the cutter bar in a longer length. Sickle bar systems are some of the most horsepower efficient mechanisms out there, which is why they could be ground driven and horse pulled. You don't need a lot of power on this attachment, so should be able to run a 5-6 foot cutter bar with a low power draw. I don't know about stealing the pitch control on the bucket. You may need that to help control the position of the bar as you are traveling along. If you only have a single supply and return, it may also rob your bucket elevation controls of flow, or stall the mower when you re-position the loader arms. That's one advantage of the Ferri mowers - they are self contained, with their own pump driven by the pto, so they don't interfere with anything. You would also have better reach, although you could rig an extension arm for the Samurai cutter to mount it farther away from the tractor. Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts