My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on building up a collection of sleeve hitch implements for my garden tractor. I was looking into Heavy Hitch accessories, and it got me thinking. If one took this (SHR):

Thereby converting their sleeve hitch to a 2" receiver, and added one of these (H2TB):

They would have a 48," 2"x2" blank toolbar that easily mounts to their garden tractor. From there, one could add all manner of tillage parts that are readily available at Tractor Supply-type stores. There are also a bunch of feed plot implements marketed towards ATVs that bolt onto 2" toolbars, which could easily be adapted to this setup. Heavy Hitch already offers a package deal where one can get a toolbar, disc hillers, and cultivators (H2TBD):

It seems this approach would give one a lot more modularity and freedom when it comes to garden tractor-drawn implements, with costs that are pretty comparable to buying a dedicated cultivator/disc harrow from Brinly or Agri-Fab. I also imagine one could incorporate heavier-duty tillage parts into their builds. I know the Heavy Hitch stuff is pretty popular in the SCUT/CUT communities, but am wondering if anyone here has gone this route with a garden tractor. Also curious as to any thoughts/opinions as to why this approach could be a good/bad idea.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Yes, latexyankee has a thread going with contemplating the purchase of either the Heavy Hitch or the MotoAlliance stuff. I have the MotoAlliance gear. The companies have somewhat similar implements where both require a sleeve hitch to 2 inch adapter. The implements for each are a bit more solid construction than the Agri-Fab or Brinly.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
I have the powered sleeve hitch from Johnny Products. It uses an electrical linear actuator that raises and lowers the sleeve hitch via a toggle switch. This linear actuator also applies ~200 pounds of downforce to the implement, it can raise the rear of my tractor off the ground.

5,911 Posts
I am working on building up a collection of sleeve hitch implements for my garden tractor. I was looking into Heavy Hitch accessories, and it got me thinking. If one took this (SHR):

View attachment 2494065

Thereby converting their sleeve hitch to a 2" receiver, and added one of these (H2TB):
View attachment 2494066

They would have a 48," 2"x2" blank toolbar that easily mounts to their garden tractor. From there, one could add all manner of tillage parts that are readily available at Tractor Supply-type stores. There are also a bunch of feed plot implements marketed towards ATVs that bolt onto 2" toolbars, which could easily be adapted to this setup. Heavy Hitch already offers a package deal where one can get a toolbar, disc hillers, and cultivators (H2TBD):
View attachment 2494067

It seems this approach would give one a lot more modularity and freedom when it comes to garden tractor-drawn implements, with costs that are pretty comparable to buying a dedicated cultivator/disc harrow from Brinly or Agri-Fab. I also imagine one could incorporate heavier-duty tillage parts into their builds. I know the Heavy Hitch stuff is pretty popular in the SCUT/CUT communities, but am wondering if anyone here has gone this route with a garden tractor. Also curious as to any thoughts/opinions as to why this approach could be a good/bad idea.
Why would you need a 48 inch bar?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flaken- cool, and thanks for linking that thread. I'll give it a read through. It's good to know that the HH/MotoAlliance stuff is indeed beefier than the Agri-Fab/Brinly. What MotoAlliance stuff do you run with your tractor?

Bodjick- not sure if I follow completely. Up/down for transport should be accomplished by the sleeve hitch itself. I imagine there would be a little "slop" on account of the 2" receiver (like how trailer hitches on vehicles will flop around a bit), but I'm thinking it can either be tightened up with some type of anti-rattle device, or be negligible if the sleeve hitch was applying downward pressure. The downward pressure should provide some depth control too. I'm waiting on a Johnny Products electric sleeve hitch, like Flaken posted, not a hand powered one that's either up or down.

My craftsman- Because it's better to have and not need, than need and not have?:sneaky:

48" is just what comes with the component I linked. I believe sleeve hitch landscape rakes are ~48" in width, so it shouldn't look too silly on the back of a garden tractor. It wouldn't be too hard or expensive to acquire a shorter 2" square tube either if need be.

5,911 Posts
Flaken- cool, and thanks for linking that thread. I'll give it a read through. It's good to know that the HH/MotoAlliance stuff is indeed beefier than the Agri-Fab/Brinly. What MotoAlliance stuff do you run with your tractor?

Bodjick- not sure if I follow completely. Up/down for transport should be accomplished by the sleeve hitch itself. I imagine there would be a little "slop" on account of the 2" receiver (like how trailer hitches on vehicles will flop around a bit), but I'm thinking it can either be tightened up with some type of anti-rattle device, or be negligible if the sleeve hitch was applying downward pressure. The downward pressure should provide some depth control too. I'm waiting on a Johnny Products electric sleeve hitch, like Flaken posted, not a hand powered one that's either up or down.

My craftsman- Because it's better to have and not need, than need and not have?:sneaky:

48" is just what comes with the component I linked. I believe sleeve hitch landscape rakes are ~48" in width, so it shouldn't look too silly on the back of a garden tractor. It wouldn't be too hard or expensive to acquire a shorter 2" square tube either if need be.
Oh, I see now, your not going with the Brinly or Agrfab attachments which have a long bar but the moto alliance attachments need a bar to meet the hitch.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Instead of the heavy hitch you may want to look into the Brinly parts, they make a similar piece for their box scraper. I copied the Brinly piece when I made a multi-purpose tool bar for my tractor, very similar to the concept you are using.

I made my toolbar to work on the back of the tractor for any tools but also modified it so it would work on the front of the tractor and made a scoop bucket as the "attachment".

A little write-up is here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.