My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I don't worry too much about it, but the weather has been quite warm and the leaves are starting to fall. It's usually much cooler when I'm pulling the sweeper. The Hydro-Gear 0510 has had the original oil in it since 2005. I'm not sure if the hydro was showing symptoms of oil failure but it felt a little weak on really tight radius turns so I put my hand on the housing and it was too hot to hold.

I decided it was time to change the oil so I picked up 2 quarts of Mobile 20w50 synthetic and a new lube suction gun. My old gun either grew legs or I lent it out and never got it back. I had to modify the pump by replacing the 1/2 inch tube with a much smaller one that would fit down the fill plug hole.

I warmed up the hydro a little so that it would be easier to suck out the oil through such a small tube. I jacked up the front so I could get a little more out. Maybe I should have warmed up the new oil as well so that it would be easier to suck into my lube pump when it came time to refill. Now, the old oil wasn't all that hot, just warm so I'm thinking the difference in viscosity was because the old oil was tired. I suppose I could try sucking it into my lube pump again now that it's cold but then I'd have to wash out the pump again. The old oil looked a bit silvery grey in the small clear tube as I was sucking it out but looks almost black in the opaque gallon container I dumped it into.

I also raised the deck rollers so that on the next cut I can mow the grass shorter. It was still set for a longer cut. I normally cut it shorter in the Fall so that it doesn't trap as many leaves and so the sweeper has an easier go of it. If I were to cut it short enough, maybe the wind would blow the leaves away and I wouldn't need to sweep LOL.

I mow with the mulch plug in and with the deck set high, the leaves blow out and don't mulch well. Set too low and the leaves get plowed by the lip of the deck. The leaves mulch up better when damp such as in the morning or after a light rain but work and sun seem to conspire against me so I have to make more trips to dump the sweeper. My old compost area ran out of room and the new spot I picked out to dump is much further away. There are still more leaves on the trees than what fell and I'm already tired of all the sweeping. Who'da thunk I'd complain about seat time!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Did you accomplish getting the Hydro to work better? Sorry if I missed that.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, I'm not sure if the hydro was showing symptoms of oil failure. It felt a little weak on really tight radius turns but then there are a lot of variables. Time will tell for sure but it does feel a bit stronger. It was more of a wake-up call to do some preventive maintenance.

·
22,335 Posts
The silvery colour got my attention. The last timeI saw that in my hydro, the broken differential bolts were chewing up the case.

Do you know anyone with a microscope? Either that or drain the oil carefully out of the container and check the residue at the bottom now that it has settled.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is what it is, meaning that if there is metal particulate in it, so be it. Sears calls it a Yard Tractor but it's the same hydro as a Lawn Tractor so it's not built to last. If'n when it dies, I will likely upgrade to a Garden Tractor that's built a bit tougher.

Since I didn't get out all the oil, I will run it for a while as it is and then take a small oil sample to see what it looks like. If it looks bad, maybe I'll hang it like a side of beef so that I can get more of the oil out and change it again.

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Give Hydrogear a call and see if you can run a lighter weight oil in it since you live in a cooler climate. Ask them if there is an easier way to change it as well. My Craftsman GT calls for 20w50 but when it gets cool to cold out it has some moving issues so I called them and one of the fellas said to run 5w30 synthetic in it. BIG DIFFERENCE in the way it moves now, especially when pushing snow when its -20 or colder. Here is their # for ya. 1-217-728-2581. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hydro still gets just as hot as before so the heat is not likely due to the oil being old.

·
22,335 Posts
Get an IR thermometer. Normal hydro operating temperature is 140* - 193* F. (60* - 90* C.) They usually run from 140 - 160 for normal operation, higher if it's working hard dealing with hills or pulling a trailer.

Over 200* F (95* C), start saving for a new hydro or tractor.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I have changed the oil in hydro before that would hardly pull itself up a small incline. It took me over a hour of getting the last few ounces in it,, I thought it was full several times,,, but it was still a little weak on a upgrade,,so I kept filling it. And it got stronger and stronger.

Not even adding a ounce at a time ,,,get a chair,,and someone to drive the tractor forward and back to you each time you add a little. You will be amazed at how long you can do this.

It worked with mine,,,,,it was,, and still is very strong.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
If you run the tractor while adding fluid, the tractor can suddenly jump foreward or reverse if there is still air in the system. It might be better to jack up the rear of the tractor and block both front wheels on both sides of the tires. Since the front axle pivots its still possible for the tractor to tilt to one side or the other with the rear end jacked up in the air. Car jack stands under each sides axle would be better than a floor jack.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I wonder if you could install an oil tank instead of a breather so you would not have to worry about trying to keep adding a little oil at a time after you service the transaxle ?

·
22,335 Posts
I wonder if you could install an oil tank instead of a breather so you would not have to worry about trying to keep adding a little oil at a time after you service the transaxle ?
The oil level in the tank would have to be at the same level as in the hydro and you would still need a breather to allow the oil to go into the hydro.

It's doable, but a royal pain to set up. Disassembly of the rear axle and welding bosses on the case for fittings at the correct points, for starters.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you run the tractor while adding fluid, the tractor can suddenly jump foreward or reverse if there is still air in the system...
Ja, it sure can even with the bypass valve open. I've had it lurch forward when purging.

My hydro has an expansion tank so I filled the oil to the top of the fill plug hole.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The oil level in the tank would have to be at the same level as in the hydro and you would still need a breather to allow the oil to go into the hydro.

It's doable, but a royal pain to set up. Disassembly of the rear axle and welding bosses on the case for fittings at the correct points, for starters.
The reason I brought this up is my front axle has a 2qt tank remote mounted to act as a reservoir for the axle.

Why would the oil level need to be kept at the same level as it is now ?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
The hydro still gets just as hot as before so the heat is not likely due to the oil being old.
Is there a fan on it?? There should be and also they are meant to be run full throttle(or close) all the time so that fan is spinning fast to cool it.

·
22,335 Posts
Aeration from spinning gears and expansion from heat generation. The aeration won't do the hydraulics any favours.

On the other hand, a completely full gearcase won't have an aeration problem, only expansion will cause a problem. The gear case will crack from internal overpressure without an external tank to accomodate the excess hot oil.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, it has a fan with all the blades intact and I keep the area clear. I always run WOT. It's just that I work it hard pulling the sweeper fast, up hills, and around tight turns. The only way to get the leaves to go all the way to the back of the hopper is to run it flat out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts