My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
somanytractorsolittletime
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally putting heat in the new woodshop, I got a reznor 75k propane heater that mounts on the ceiling. I need to run 50' of 3/4 black iron pipe and a regulator, 2 shut off valves I own 2-100lb tanks already and a bunch of fittings. I want to hard pipe right to the heater no copper or stainless tracpipe.A neighbor is a HVAC guy and he has layed a plan for me to follow to do all the work. Funny thing is that he says after it is all together and pressure test is applied the pipe only has to hold 15lbs pressure for 10 mins. **** I think it should hold pressure for at least 24 hours or more! Anyone have experiance with this type of propane heater?

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
I have one and it works great. I actually could have gotten away with a 50K BTU to heat the 24X32 shop. Be sure you re-jet if for propane before you install it (if you have to). It's easier to do on the ground than hanging in the air.

·
HAMMAN
1,646 Posts
I have two sterling unit heaters and both are piped with Trac-Pipe. Both are power vent and I like them very much. God even heat. I placed my thermostat on the wall just below them that way the heat is even thru both the garage and shop. Good luck with yours I am sure you will like it.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
When my dad had a tankless water heater installed at his house they only pressure tested the line for 15 mins as well (not sure on the pressure) I personally do think it should be for a longer period as well, but they only are required to do it for 15 mins. If you can, let it under pressure for as long as you want (greater than 15 mins) and go from there. I know around me, plumbing systems have to hold pressure for 24 hours min to pass (both supply and waste)

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I have the 75K BTU Propane Hot Dawg model hanging from the ceiling in my garage. It works great !! I'm in the garage rite now and have it set on 65. I leave the stat on 50 unless I'm out here working, it only take 10 mins or do to bring the temp up.

28 X 44 X 12 garage with 9" of insulation in the ceiling and 6" in the walls.

It's only a few hundred $$ for the season for propane. I've got a 500 gallon tank just for the shop.

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys,The heater was rejeted before I picked it up (free) It was in the back room of a auto parts store and they removed it because it was left on overnight to many times. I was more than happy to take it off there hands. I installed all the pipe in the shop and cranked it as much as I could with gastite paste and 2 stilsons. Should have it all done this weekend. The new shop total space is 100 x 45 but I am only heating half of it.

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finished all the piping for the heater installation,used a pipe threader for the first time. It went really fast and I love that machine. Pressure test has been on 15lbs for 35 hours now and the pressure has actually gone up past 15 today. so I guess I am good to go! I need a pressure regulator for it now. And a slab for the tank

·
HAMMAN
1,646 Posts
By the dimensions you stated and then halfing them and then figuring that you would have a 8' ceiling, and not knowing how many doors and windows and insulation. I figure you would need about 48,000 btu to heat it. The 75K should heat it very well. Sounds like you have got it well in hand. Stay warm.:fing32:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I dont think anyone will sell the regulator to you. At least around me it needs to be installed with the tank and that is done by the supplier. But once its installed you own the regulator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts