My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, is it hot outside. Temps hovering in the upper 90s, with high humidity, expecting the heat index to be over 110 at times. Nights staying in the 80s. That's like FL or SC weather.

I looked at my grass (OK, weeds) last night, and just laughed. Not messing with that until the temps drop, or it's up to my knees...

We do have to be outside for a little league tournament, believe it or not. A couple of kids "dropped" in one of the games this morning (don't really know what that means, it's something I heard from one of the other parents), so they postponed our 4:00 game to 6:00. But, they kept running games past 1:00...

My son's team lost the first game by one run (they cut it short by one inning, keeping to a 2-hour time limit). But, he got the game MVP for getting two hits, two RBIs and making two awesome catches for outs. He'll probably be pitching in tonight's game.

And we have at least two more scheduled for tomorrow...

Needless to say, we're staying indoors between the games.

Mike

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Hot tub is filled with fresh well water; bring on the heat wave.

Only problem is that now it's too cold so I have to light a fire to warm it up. Sheesh.

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
Normal temps here in TX, and we get the humidity off the gulf. Often the heat index is 110 or better. Looks like a rare break for us next week.

Attachments

·
16,274 Posts
Same HOT weather here in Mid-Atlantic...Supposed to break up this high pressure system by Monday....Hopefully..

glenn

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Normal temps here in TX, ... and we get the humidity off the gulf.
You sure do :tango_face_surprise

A few co-workers and I were down in Houston on a business trip ~20 years ago and learned about the "race to 100"... radio station announcers taking bets on whether the morning weather would reach 100 degrees or 100% relative humidity first.

That might have been the scariest thing I ever heard on the radio.

·
close enuff works for me
2,957 Posts
92 degrees in michigan also,,,,,0 degrees ferenhiet and 6 inches of snow is no problem in michigan ,,,we don't handle 90 plus very well.

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
With the humidity up it feels hotter outside but I was seeing higher actual temps last week and the week before.

So, yeah weather reports are saying "excessive heat" and I'm thinking "so, pretty much the same as it's been?"

·
Registered
727 Posts
92 degrees in michigan also,,,,,0 degrees ferenhiet and 6 inches of snow is no problem in michigan ,,,we don't handle 90 plus very well.
Yeah all the Southerners are laughing at this thread, but we laugh back when they're shutting down the city for a few inches of snow. ?

All what you get used to.

·
never too old to learn
352 Posts
Wow, is it hot outside. Temps hovering in the upper 90s, with high humidity, expecting the heat index to be over 110 at times. Nights staying in the 80s. That's like FL or SC weather.

I looked at my grass (OK, weeds) last night, and just laughed. Not messing with that until the temps drop, or it's up to my knees...

We do have to be outside for a little league tournament, believe it or not. A couple of kids "dropped" in one of the games this morning (don't really know what that means, it's something I heard from one of the other parents), so they postponed our 4:00 game to 6:00. But, they kept running games past 1:00...

My son's team lost the first game by one run (they cut it short by one inning, keeping to a 2-hour time limit). But, he got the game MVP for getting two hits, two RBIs and making two awesome catches for outs. He'll probably be pitching in tonight's game.

And we have at least two more scheduled for tomorrow...

Needless to say, we're staying indoors between the games.

Mike
My town is hosting the Rhode Island Little League State 12U Tournament this weekend. And it’s Hot as well here. Thankfully my kids are beyond all this.

My lawn looked so green and nice, but that’s just crabgrass... I’ll mow when it’s cooler, midweek.

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah all the Southerners are laughing at this thread, but we laugh back when they're shutting down the city for a few inches of snow. ?

All what you get used to.
Very, very true...

Quick thunderstorm just blew through our area, more or less blew itself out, and was too little too late to help with the temps.

My son pitched four innings in the second game tonight (8U), for the first time ever (usually 2 is the max). He did very, very well despite some iffy fielding behind him at times (he's not perfect, either).

Sadly, they lost by one run again, although it ended on a pretty wild play: Leadoff hitter came up with two outs and a runner at second, down by two runs. He bunts, and after several fielding errors, the run scores, and the batter makes it all the way to third, where the coach sends him home, because the defense was somehow still chasing the ball in right field. He runs home, and the other team managed to get the ball to the catcher, who was able to tag him out within inches of the plate to end the game. Very, very exciting, even though we came up short.

Mike

·
Registered
544 Posts
normal weather here in Alabama but i realize you folks up north love the cold whether. actually today its been nice a thunderstorm came through cooled things off some

·
Super Moderator
26,405 Posts
Yesterday started at 70 degrees with clouds and stayed there long enough to mow the yard that wasn't a pond! Then tree fell in wind down the road and took out power from about 4 - 11 PM! So no AC for the 88 degree afternoon temps! Got in the pool to cool down in the evening! Looks like a pool day all day today, it's already hot outside!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think us northerners can handle the heat better than the southerners can handle the snow.

Then poor folks out in North Dakota REALLY get the cold in winter, AND now some heat (though not as severe as other areas at the moment, but still...). Worst of both worlds.
your right about the snow we didnt get any last winter and hope none this coming winter. Any temp below 50 is cold here:tango_face_smile:

·
15,000 +posts!
19,659 Posts
I have come to the conclusion there is no "good place" to live as far as weather in the USA...
The temps may be pleasant and lots of sun in Coastal California,but you have the risk of earthquakes...high cost of living..cities being over run by illegals....scratch that state off the list..

The southwest is nice & dry,but its 100+ degrees most of the year...being close to the southern border isn't really a safe place now either in my eyes..

Southern & eastern Coastal regions have monsoon rains,high temps,and hurricanes..and super high humidity...no thanks..

Central US is "tornado alley"...and it gets miserably hot & humid in summer,frigid cold in the winter..land is cheaper and taxes are low there though..

New England has been no prize the past decade or so,we've ranged from record snowfalls to record cold,now we're having an extreme heat wave,and it rained at least 3-4 days every week from March until June this year..

Today it is 87 degrees right now with 65% humidity,but it still feels like 75% to me!..high temp expected to hit 100 later today..

This morning I got up at 5 am after sleeping maybe an hour total,sweating bullets..
Humidity last night was at 79% when I went to bed at midnight--temp was 89 degrees!..

I wanted to go to the outdoor flea market this morning,that's 25 miles away and close to the south coast of MA,but it was so humid at 75% humidity and already 90 degrees at 6 am ,that I decided not to go...it is just a huge open field with little shade along one side and I didn't think that many people would be there to sell stuff,or to buy it either..

Now I kind of wish I'd gone anyways--it was clear blue sky at 6 am,but soon after that it clouded up some,and the wind picked up a bit,to 10-15 mph,so maybe it wouldn't have been so bad there early..but I didn't feel like risking a ride that far in my old clunker pickup,risk having a mechanical issue in this weather,and maybe find only a handful of people selling stuff..no A/C in my truck either..

I have a 18,000 btu A/C unit in the kitchen that runs off 220V,but it is still all wrapped up with plastic and duct tape from the winter,and I wasn't enthused about chopping that all off,just to run it a few days,then have to wrap it all back up later in the year--plus it will double my electric bill,and money is tight with my property taxes due Aug.1st,on top of all the other utility bills ,another thing that discouraged me from going this morning..

Figures tomorrow we are supposed to cool off after some "possibly severe thunderstorms",and the rest of the week will be low humidity and in the mid 80's..

My ceilings got more stains after 4" of rain poured down during a thunderstorm last Friday at 4 am,last thing I want is more rain coming..had a guy come look at my roof to give an estimate yesterday,but I have not gotten a quote yet,and might not,he was difficult to speak to ,not native to the USA..
it is TOUGH finding someone who can do repairs on a home "reasonably" ,that has a license & insurance,and wont just take off with your money and never return..there have been many such cases in my area recently..

"Reliable" long time local contractors I've had come give an estimate are the only ones who wrote up a itemized list of just what they would do,what materials they will use,the labor charges,and have documented insurance and licenses --but they also charge almost double what I can afford right now too,and balk at doing anything but a complete tear off and rebuild....they know they have you by the short hairs,being 60+ years old and you cant climb a ladder or work on a roof...

"Summer" is already more than half over--when my tiger lily's blooms start shriveling up and dying ,and the days start getting shorter ,you know it'll only be another month or so before it dark by 7 pm again...I've been discouraged ,I had a lot of things I should have had gotten done by now,but due to the weather,none of them have even been started..

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think us northerners can handle the heat better than the southerners can handle the snow..
Ha ha maybe something called shade trees, cold beverage and A/C have something to do with that.

I was sitting in the shade my lawn chair with a glass of water watching my grandson play until about 10:30. Clouded up just long enough for me to mow the rest of my yard and ditches.

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
I am about to quit for the day. high 90's and 80% humidity. Trying to re-locate stuff so I can move this shed later this week.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
2,874 Posts
Yesterday started at 70 degrees with clouds and stayed there long enough to mow the yard that wasn't a pond! Then tree fell in wind down the road and took out power from about 4 - 11 PM! So no AC for the 88 degree afternoon temps! Got in the pool to cool down in the evening! Looks like a pool day all day today, it's already hot outside!
The heat index yesterday was 112+ here. It's already at 100* in the shade here. :tango_face_crying: I had things to do outside but that's not happening until it cools off.

your right about the snow we didn't get any last winter and hope none this coming winter. Any temp below 50 is cold here:tango_face_smile:
:sidelaugh That's shorts and tee shirt weather around here. LOL................ :tango_face_grin: I left FL in Dec of 05 3 days before Christmas in shorts and a tee shirt when it was 65* and people had big heavy coats, hoodies, and sock hats on. :tango_face_surprise I didn't put on long pants or get out a sweatshirt until I got to NC. :tango_face_grin:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts