My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ... usually I am on the Sears board but I recently came across a deal I couldn't pass up. Got a yt16 Ford and a hds3185 cub both for 375 bucks... the Ford is very nice and works good but I am not a Ford Guy so its gotta go. Figure I could make a Buck. Anyhow I like the cub and kinda wanna keep it.. power steering etc... its a caddy compared to what I'm used to. But its got an issue or issues that I can't figure so I need help.

Starts good runs good but it just shuts down after a few minutes for no apparent reason

When engaging the deck it doesn't always kick on an if it does it works for a bit then will kick off for no reason

Battery light comes on sometimes... not sure why or if that has anything to do with it.

Not sure where to start... the engine was replaced 90 hrs ago... its a Briggs vangaurd and sounds great so its got a new engine basically

Anyhow thanks any input is awesome... Sam in ohio
Was thinking maybe a safety switch somewhere screwing up?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Starts good runs good but it just shuts down after a few minutes for no apparent reason

When engaging the deck it doesn't always kick on an if it does it works for a bit then will kick off for no reason

Battery light comes on sometimes... not sure why or if that has anything to do with it.

Not sure where to start... the engine was replaced 90 hrs ago... its a Briggs vangaurd and sounds great so its got a new engine basically
I don't know anything about Vanguards, but it sounds like there's a safety switch issue or a short. If the engine was swapped, it's likely something was not hooked up correctly. If you got a deal, the previous owner couldn't figure it out. Are you equipped to troubleshoot electrical issues?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah I know he couldn't figure it out... he told me... I bought it knowing this... but I only paid roughly 180 bucks for it so what the heck ha ha.

Yes I could trouble shoot some if I need to.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes I could trouble shoot some if I need to.
I would start with the seat safety switch. You have to remove the 4 screws in the seat rails to tip the seat up. There's a plug there you can disconnect and short with a piece of wire.

That would not explain the battery light, but could cause the engine dying at random. In any case, you want to eliminate it as a possibility before you go any further.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jds ill try that first... makes sense cause when it shuts down that's what it sounds like. It sounds as if you got off the seat and tripped the safety shutting it down. I don't think its fuel related cause choking as it quits does nothing... thanks again man

1 - 5 of 5 Posts