My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer sent me a quote and wants $250 extra to replace the turf tires on the X500 with HDAP tires. Is this right? Seems high for a swap charge.

Again, I'm a complete newb, but for $250 it would seem like I would get the HDAP outright and the turf tires.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My dealer charged me $50 to switch out! Tell them to switch our they can have it back lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
A complete set of turf tires/wheels at the dealer probably is not a quick seller so it may be stuck in their inventory for awhile and that can cost them. Not too many people comes in and ask for a complete set. At that price you might as well buy them outright.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A complete set of turf tires/wheels at the dealer probably is not a quick seller so it may be stuck in their inventory for awhile and that can cost them. Not too many people comes in and ask for a complete set. At that price you might as well buy them outright.
So are they sold as a set of four or as a pair - front and back?

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, they would be a complete set of a pair which comes with steel wheels included.

An idea you could ask the dealer is to order a pair of just the HDAP rubber and have them remove the turf & mount HDAP on your original steel wheels. Then they can keep the new turf rubber in their parts inventory which is fairly fast mover than a set with wheels included.

Order a pair of HDAP and get credit for a pair of turf, pay for the difference plus maybe an hour of shop labor to remove & mount them. Probably $100 total top.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, they would be a complete set of a pair which comes with steel wheels included.

An idea you could ask the dealer is to order a pair of just the HDAP rubber and have them remove the turf & mount HDAP on your original steel wheels. Then they can keep the new turf rubber in their parts inventory which is fairly fast mover than a set with wheels included.

Order a pair of HDAP and get credit for a pair of turf, pay for the difference plus maybe an hour of shop labor to remove & mount them. Probably $100 total top.
I sent a request for an outright price. I had no idea we're talking tires on rims. Still, seems excessive seeing as I only come away with the actual tire
upgrade and a set of rims come with the mower.

Both tires use the same rim?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I requested a quote on a 2305 from two dealer, to swap out the R4 tires with the HDAP’s one wanted around $1000 and they keep the R4’s. The other wanted $300 and I would keep R4’s.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I paid 100 to my dealer to do the swap. I figured that was fair enough price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I sent a request for an outright price. I had no idea we're talking tires on rims. Still, seems excessive seeing as I only come away with the actual tire
upgrade and a set of rims come with the mower.

Both tires use the same rim?

Yeah it still seems a bit steep to me. I wouldn't swap out and let them keep the other pair for that price. I just checked JD website and they retails for $326 a pair.

Yes they use the same rims, they both are 24x12-12.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I haven't taken delivery yet.

This is putting the brakes on it for me at the present.
did you go to the John Deere site and use the "Build your own" configurator tool? That will tell you what John Deere charges for the change, and the dealer SHOULD have to comply.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Why not just swap out the rear tires? (Not the rims)

·
Registered
116 Posts
$326 dollar for the change using the online configurator.
Yes, but that is the actual retail price for a pair of HDAP with rims mounted, whether if you buy it with the machine or not. The dealer will receive two separate shipments, one would be a X500 with rear turf tires and other one would be just a pair of HDAP with rims mounted in a box. All they have to do is to zip off the wheel bolts, switch around the tires and zip them back in just a couple minutes. Then they could keep the other set for a $300 profit (minus freight).

When using online configuator, you basically are buying a tractor with two complete pairs of tires (with rims), NOT AN UPGRADE. If it is for a swap out, the dealer is supposely to give you a credit for the pair of tires not kept, minus freight and 15% handling fee. Of course, most of them probably won't do that or say anything unless someone notice.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This should be a $100 charge and that is all. Weather they want to just swap the rims and tires from another machine (the easy way) or if they want to swap the tires only off your rims.

That price would make me start calling other dealers...!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Im serious, dont take without the tires.Trust me they will do it.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Sir, get the mower home, play with it the rest of the sommer, then if you think you(not every one here)need differant tires, then get them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah it still seems a bit steep to me. I wouldn't swap out and let them keep the other pair for that price. I just checked JD website and they retails for $326 a pair.

Yes they use the same rims, they both are 24x12-12.
The $326 is two HDAP tires and rims? Do you know how much the retail is for the Turf tires?

I emailed the dealer asking what the outright purchase of the HDAP tires would cost. No response yet from the dealer.

I'm thinking they are trying to increase their profit margin.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, that's correct. In the online configuator, the pricing is for tires and rims. You can't order just the rubber that way. It will have to go through the parts dept., not sales.

The parts guy will have to order a pair of rubber to make the conversation with your original rims. But if you do this way, they will not be required to take back the turf but being that they will be new and unused, and you just bought a machine, I really don't see a reason why they wouldn't let you make an exhange for the difference in price. Then have their shop mount it on your tractor pay for labor. Really shouldn't cost more than a hundred for all of that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, that's correct. In the online configuator, the pricing is for tires and rims. You can't order just the rubber that way. It will have to go through the parts dept., not sales.

The parts guy will have to order a pair of rubber to make the conversation with your original rims. But if you do this way, they will not be required to take back the turf but being that they will be new and unused, and you just bought a machine, I really don't see a reason why they wouldn't let you make an exhange for the difference in price. Then have their shop mount it on your tractor pay for labor. Really shouldn't cost more than a hundred for all of that.
Looks like they are wanting 250 for just the rubber and they keep the brand new turf tires.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts