My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just took delivery of a X585 with FEL from my local dealer, and it has a set of 4-ply HDAP tires on the front and 2-ply HDAP tires on the rear. The tires all appeared to be inflated ok when I got them, but after a couple of days and time on my hands I checked them and found that one of the front tires did not register any pressure at all and one of the rear tires only showed about 5 lbs, but to look at them they didn't appear to be low on pressure. I inflated both to the suggested pressure, but my question is, what are HDAP tires exactly? Will they not appear to be flat even though there is little to no air pressure in them? I just don't understand exactly what they are. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :thanku:

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Heavy Duty All Purpose

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I've been pretty surprised, and happy with the HDAP's. The front ones are 4-ply and max pressure is 20 psi, the rears are 2-ply and max of 10 psi. I checked mine the other day, only had 7 in one, 10 in the other, but you couldn't tell any difference from the way the tractor sat, and with a 300 pound tiller on back, the lower pressure tire didn't seem to squat any worse. For lawn and garden use, 2 plies are all you need, the load rating on them is more than the axles are rated for (combined). If you plan to go where no tractor has gone before (sorry, I'm a Star Trek fan), where there are sharp pointy rocks, sharp pointy sticks, or sharp pointy anythings that can cut or puncture tires, then you need to look at 4 or 8 plies.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone. I was just really surprised when I discovered that the air pressure was so low and the tires didn't show any signs of collapsing. I can understand on the front tire as the loader bucket was down on the floor which would keep the tire from collapsing to some degree, but was really surprised that the rear tire didn't look more flat. Anyway, they seem to be a very nice tire and I will just continue to monitor the air pressure in them to make sure we don't have an active leak. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts