My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this older Linde HDA 200 which I really like but for months now been trying to figure out WHY my tig aluminum welds look like crap?? I welded Aluminum all my life all kinds you can think of--Now in my older years I know I cant weld as good as before but wow not this bad. So after checking everything I could think of I was down to the argon being a bad mix?? So someone suggested to get a flow meter and check at the nozzle which I had never had to do. So I did and with the flow at TANK gauge set at 20 I had 4 at nozzle--Yep thats right,,, So I took all lines off blew out and even checked at end of hose just BEFORE it goes into the solenoid on welder and it too only had 4?? So set flow at 28 to 30 which gave me 10--12 at nozzle and WOW!! I can weld again--- I could not believe this but thats what it was---All I can think is something going on with the regulator???

These photos are the bad welds and sometimes I could weld maybe a inch somewhat ok then back to crap--Which would explane low gas coverage--- This welder is really nice--welds stick fine and even stainless now that I have this gas figured out, Am going to hook up my helium now so can do a mix should be nice--I wanted to wait till this problem was ok so not to waist the expensive gas.

Just thought I,d post this if anyone else had this happen it might be helpfull, So nice to know I can still weld thought I was going nuts there a while,lol

Attachments

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,435 Posts
Sounds like some maintenance is needed on your rig. Regulators should be checked and either rebuilt/replaced anything after that needs to be checked for deterioration/blockage.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,059 Posts
Yep... Regulators can (and do) go bad.

I don't know much about argon regulators, but they're the same basic concept as a propane regulator. Back in my RV days I replaced many of them. Not only the 2 stage ones on the main supply, but also the little low pressure regulators on stoves and other appliances. M there are moving parts in there (well, mostly springs and a diaphragm), but they are subject to heat/cold cycling, vibration, and humidity just like anything else I guess.

It could even be that your regulator is just fine, but the gauge on it is out of whack. Problem is that without a proper gauge, an adjustable regulator isn't a whole lot of good.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
A ball float flow meter is a very simple device and not prone to errors. What flow is seen going past the meter at the tank has to go somewhere, so if it is not seen at the tip, then there has to be a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked and checked for leaks--I can shut off the gas at tank and it will hold pressure for days so from there to solenoid on welder is good[[plus checked with soap]--Then the tig is new 25 foot but I did plug the end put pressure in it and put whole thing in bucket of water plus use soap on fittings by solenoid I dont know what I would have missed??

Like I said I checked flow at end of the line from tank to solenoid and it reads same thats without going threw anything else just a six foot line coming out of the regulator??

When i first hit foot control turn on theres a BIG gusts of gas then settles down? I think someday I,m getting a new regulator--This is a very old one and think not working correct ?

Welded some last night all fine as long as I know how set gauge. When I got welder I took all apart checked everything and set contact points for HF all seem ok.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You didn't mention how old the regulator is, but the internal parts do wear out over time, especially the diaphragm and spring(s). The diaphragm is a rubberlike material usually neoprene that becomes brittle with age.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks--In the last photo I posted you can see the flow/regulator with a ball and it is OLD------So doubt of I can get parts for it??? maybe be worth it to just see about parts??

Would it be worth it to just take apart and see whats going on?--Or if I do that I,ll be out of commission till I fix or replace it?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
An acquaintance gave me some ancient full size acetylene & oxygen welding tanks that were 15 years out of date, along with associated regulators, hoses & torches. Airgas refused to have anything to do with the tanks even though they were theirs. Finally went to Wesco and they exchanged the tanks with no problems. Another place, NexAir, rebuilt the torches and regulators. That was a couple of years ago and think I remember I paid ~$75 for the pair of regulators and the torches.
There are kits available so you can do it yourself, but it would be better for you to take to someone that does it often. That way they get the correct kits and if problems arise, they know how to fix them. This is some high pressure stuff, least on the tank side.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,435 Posts
That is interesting that Airgas would not exchange their old tanks. I would of challanged them via the state regs, which says they have to take them and decommission (evacuate, purge, clean, chop open) the tanks.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I thought it was rather funny when I called Airgas and asked about the tanks. They said to bring them in and shouldn't be a problem. Loaded the tanks in the truck and drove the 30 miles to the Airgas facility. Once there, they looked at the age of the tanks and found that the certification was over 5 years out. Since I wasn't the original lessee, even though I had that info, they really did not want to deal with me. I got the feeling that since I wasn't a commercial interest, that was what they wanted. I have since stopped dealing with Airgas.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a oxygen tank in Chicago where I bought this welder it was the large one and I got it for 20 bucks so took it to place I deal with and they exchange it for a [LARGE] I mean those big ones in shops argon tank full of gas for 118--Not bad at all I thought. And the oxygen tank was 36 years out of last inspection and not there tank and did this with no problem. Guess it depends on the place.?

In Chicago there was no paper work on tank and all around there you need it for tanks thats why I got it so cheap. {I,m in Michigan] they did not even want a recite for buying it???

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An acquaintance gave me some ancient full size acetylene & oxygen welding tanks that were 15 years out of date, along with associated regulators, hoses & torches. Airgas refused to have anything to do with the tanks even though they were theirs. Finally went to Wesco and they exchanged the tanks with no problems. Another place, NexAir, rebuilt the torches and regulators. That was a couple of years ago and think I remember I paid ~$75 for the pair of regulators and the torches.
There are kits available so you can do it yourself, but it would be better for you to take to someone that does it often. That way they get the correct kits and if problems arise, they know how to fix them. This is some high pressure stuff, least on the tank side.
Your right and I,ll find someplace around here that does those and see about fixing it--Has to be something way wrong with it to work this way. If I do it most likely mess it up anyways,

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you ever try a different torch? I had a similar issue, & it was the flex torch Something inside must have broken.
Well no I have not but this is a new 250 amp water cooled and yep I know new dont mean much now a days but I do have the older one he was using? OH I did try the flow right out of the hose [6foot] that went from regulator to welder [unhooked from welder] and it did read the same as on end of torch so scratch that idea I guess. Looks like about little less than 1/4inch hose and I blew it out with air also,,,

I did just now get some numbers off the regulator am going to see if its still around???--It is OLD

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you ever try a different torch? I had a similar issue, & it was the flex torch Something inside must have broken.
I looked up this regulator it is; Oxweld Type-R--5007 [old] and I now see some new ones are $25 bucks?? Are they worth it??

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!! That regulator is Expensive!! Guess they sell kits for them but I found owners manual for it and theres a filter in there that can be dirty/plugged so guess will check that??

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Similar experience with Airgas and a subsequent resolution with Welsco. Avoid Airgas, they suck.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I thought it was rather funny when I called Airgas and asked about the tanks. They said to bring them in and shouldn't be a problem. Loaded the tanks in the truck and drove the 30 miles to the Airgas facility. Once there, they looked at the age of the tanks and found that the certification was over 5 years out. Since I wasn't the original lessee, even though I had that info, they really did not want to deal with me. I got the feeling that since I wasn't a commercial interest, that was what they wanted. I have since stopped dealing with Airgas.

I quote:

. Since I wasn't the original lessee, even though I had that info, they really did not want to deal with me. I got the feeling that since I wasn't a commercial interest, that was what they wanted. I have since stopped dealing with Airgas.

What you are describing is STOLEN PROPERTY. If these tanks were leased whether by you or some one you got them from, they are the property of the company that leases them. I have heard of some places confiscating them which would certainly be within their right. Making a judgement regarding Airgas for this situation is just not fair.

I recently bought a oxy/acetylene set up and purchased the tanks from a welding outfit and established an account to prove ownership. This place was all right, but I can't say they treated me well being a novice.

Last week I bought a Hobart 210 MVP MIG set up and needed a tank for C25. Farm and fleet wanted $175 for the tank and $60 to fill. I went to Airgas and the guys were very helpful even though I am a noob. Even though I prefer to buy, Airgas rented me a tank for $105 for 5 years and it was FULL. So in essence it is $45 for 5 years and if I want to switch from the 80CF bottle to a bigger one they will do that.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Similar experience with Airgas and a subsequent resolution with Welsco. Avoid Airgas, they suck.

See the above post.

I don't understand people being unhappy with tanks they don't own or can't prove ownership not being filled with all the lease tanks out there that haven't been returned to the rightful owner.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
See the above post.

I don't understand people being unhappy with tanks they don't own or can't prove ownership not being filled with all the lease tanks out there that haven't been returned to the rightful owner.
So if you lose the reciept to your tank or buy from an online supplier it's best to trash it it and buy from Airgas. Got it. This is how us beer brewers get our tanks and many get sold second hand as people change systems or get out of brewing. CO2 Tank (Aluminum) - 5 lb. | MoreBeer

I dealt with welding suppy companies in a commercial basis for 20 years. Our local supplier who gave us no trouble for 10 years was bought out by Airgas and they robbed us blind claiming we were always missing tanks. Every freaking week!

Never had supplies on the truck. Everything was always on backorder. I tried to get them to fill a CO2 tank with no supplier label bought from a private owner that was out of date, pay $60 for the hydro test no problem. They refused. Walked into Welsco and they exchanged no problem.

They are not a good company to deal with. Be warned

1 - 20 of 22 Posts